Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,581,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
Is it even possible? Is Cupid's arrow so swift?

I personally do not believe in love. I believe in respect, passion, lust, companionship, compromise, communication; all of this is built over time, and it makes a relationship stronger. Some might say that all of that combined is the definition of love, so if all of this is love, and it takes time to get to that point, how can love at first sight exist?

your thoughts?
WOW ! can Cupid's arrow be so swift? to that I have to say YES!... Step back to June 1963, Bobbies Roll-A-Way, Pawtucket, RI, There in the middle of the skating rink was this beautiful ,5'3" piece of heaven. Well mannered women, spinning, dancing to the beat of the music. Being the bashful type at that time in my life, it took me 3 nights to get the nerve to introduce myself to her ( through a family friend ), When this friend introduced her to my life changed forever.

Thats when i found out that this person I felt would be the perfect one to spend the rest of my life with , even though my heart was running 100 miles an hour,was a deaf person, born that way.

Needless to say we spent the next 1 1/2 hrs writing notes to each other , exchanging each others personal info, before taking her home where we were met by her father ( a Pawtucket Police officer!).

For the next 3 weeks we spent every evening together, my learning sign language and her learning to vocalize sounds ( so she could speak a little ).

Now fast forward 3 months to Sept. 31, 1963 were at the Church saying I do ( yes getting married). Now really fast forward 49 yrs to Sept 2012, yep still here together , 2 kids, 3 grand kids , 3 great grand kids, .

Now has it been easy ? No , But when we got married no one said it would be a piece of cake!, ( in fact the in-laws said it wouldn't last because my wife was Deaf and I could hear). Funny though, the In-laws divorced 4 yrs later. We said we would love , honor and be faithful to each other until death do us part. ( and neither of us have died yet!). This type of relationship worked back then because some of us were happy to keep fertilizing the grass rather the looking for the greener pastured outside of the marriage. When there is true love in a marriage nothing can destroy it. When you find the right one you know it ! .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
WOW ! can Cupid's arrow be so swift? to that I have to say YES!... Step back to June 1963, Bobbies Roll-A-Way, Pawtucket, RI, There in the middle of the skating rink was this beautiful ,5'3" piece of heaven. Well mannered women, spinning, dancing to the beat of the music. Being the bashful type at that time in my life, it took me 3 nights to get the nerve to introduce myself to her ( through a family friend ), When this friend introduced her to my life changed forever.

Thats when i found out that this person I felt would be the perfect one to spend the rest of my life with , even though my heart was running 100 miles an hour,was a deaf person, born that way.

Needless to say we spent the next 1 1/2 hrs writing notes to each other , exchanging each others personal info, before taking her home where we were met by her father ( a Pawtucket Police officer!).

For the next 3 weeks we spent every evening together, my learning sign language and her learning to vocalize sounds ( so she could speak a little ).

Now fast forward 3 months to Sept. 31, 1963 were at the Church saying I do ( yes getting married). Now really fast forward 49 yrs to Sept 2012, yep still here together , 2 kids, 3 grand kids , 3 great grand kids, .

Now has it been easy ? No , But when we got married no one said it would be a piece of cake!, ( in fact the in-laws said it wouldn't last because my wife was Deaf and I could hear). Funny though, the In-laws divorced 4 yrs later. We said we would love , honor and be faithful to each other until death do us part. ( and neither of us have died yet!). This type of relationship worked back then because some of us were happy to keep fertilizing the grass rather the looking for the greener pastured outside of the marriage. When there is true love in a marriage nothing can destroy it. When you find the right one you know it ! .
What a sweet story.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
You meet someone and feel an instant attraction....

If the relationship works, if was love at first site....

If it doesn't, it was lust.

/lol

Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,423 times
Myth. You just thought that person was hot.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Myth. You just thought that person was hot.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And every one has a key.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A lot of women supposedly often can't separate love and lust. Some seem to be able to, though.
I don't think anyone can separate it. In my eyes love is a higher form of lust, lust that goes beyond sexual experience but there is no love without lust underneath. We are after sexual beings. Lust, love are just natures way to ensure we procreate.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You meet someone and feel an instant attraction....

If the relationship works, if was love at first site....

If it doesn't, it was lust.

/lol
That's a very convenient way of looking at love and lust

Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Yes.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes.
Good answer. Lol

Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,153,184 times
I don't believe it. Never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships