Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When the day comes that I see a good-looking man with a not good-looking woman EVER, I will believe it.
Woah you must live in a magical fairyland. I see that all the time. I live in DC tho which is the ugly women capitol of America in addition to being its actual capitol but you see it everywhere. Sometimes a man ages well and his wife doesn't, think John and Elizabeth Edwards. Also a lot of really handsome black men who date fat white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Woah you must live in a magical fairyland. I see that all the time. I live in DC tho which is the ugly women capitol of America in addition to being its actual capitol but you see it everywhere. Sometimes a man ages well and his wife doesn't, think John and Elizabeth Edwards. Also a lot of really handsome black men who date fat white women.
I see it all the time too. Yes, I think sometimes being a white woman gives one leverage, but even if they're both white, I have seen unattractive or even fat girls with model like guys, believe me, couples come in all stripes.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM

93 posts, read 146,597 times
I used to tend bar during summers in college. I had the late night shift when all the "in crowd" people showed up. My co-bartenders and I always remarked in amazement how many of the most stunningly beautiful women were with what looked to us like very unattractuve guys. I mean bald, short, out of shape guys with ugly faces. We just couldn't figure it out. We all had our theories, sure. But we never really go to the bottom of it. We suspected it was maybe because women feel insecure with a hot guy. Maybe they like being the center of attention and not their SO. Maybe it was money. Who knows?

Then I had a neighbor whose son dropped out of college. He was not particularly smart nor articulate. He was bald, and not really very tall. And he was unemployed except for a few stints as a front desk guy at a local gym. And .. he lived with his parents at the age of 26 still. He was the comedy show stereotype of the quintessential loser. And yet this guy was always with a new hot girl every two weeks. He finally married a beautiful girl who has rich parents and who herself was graduating from law school. I can't figure it out.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I have to find a woman attractive in order to date her. Attractiveness is not the ONLY thing that matters to me... personality and sense of humor are very important as well. But I need to find a woman attractive, or else no matter how great her personality is, it does not really matter. Attractiveness is like a prerequisite. At the risk of sounding superficial, I think most men who are honest will admit the same.

A lot of women say that personality is the most important. So can the majority of women honestly say they would be happy with a man whose personality she likes but who she does not find physically attractive? Biologically speaking, it does not make sense to me... it would seem like women would have to be physically attracted to their mates, just as men do, in order for procreation and the human race to continue on. But yet a lot of women, both on this forum and elsewhere in life, say that personality is basically all that matters.

Any thoughts?
Can't speak for all women, but for me, no, looks are not super important. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but a great personality can make an average looking person beautiful and vice versa. Personality, confidence without arrogance, how a man gets along with his family, how he treats people in public, especially waitstaff, these among other things are all important to me.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman76 View Post
A woman is not likely to date an unemployed loser, no matter how good looking he is.

A man will likely date an unemployed loser, if she is good looking.
Thats not true, I was an unemployed loser for a good while and dated a lot of beautiful women. I doubt if a man looked like a young Brad Pitt but had no job, women would be like "ew gross". Think about how many women those barely employed good looking struggling actors scored. Warren Beatty didn't bed thousands of women only because he's rich, he slept with tons of women before he was famous.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Women are full of it.

In terms of what's important to most women, it goes:

1. Looks
2. Social status/personality
3. Financial status
Thanks for speaking for all women, they are not full of it. I can answer for myself though and the above is not true at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyNewGuy View Post
I used to tend bar during summers in college. I had the late night shift when all the "in crowd" people showed up. My co-bartenders and I always remarked in amazement how many of the most stunningly beautiful women were with what looked to us like very unattractuve guys. I mean bald, short, out of shape guys with ugly faces. We just couldn't figure it out. We all had our theories, sure. But we never really go to the bottom of it. We suspected it was maybe because women feel insecure with a hot guy. Maybe they like being the center of attention and not their SO. Maybe it was money. Who knows?

Then I had a neighbor whose son dropped out of college. He was not particularly smart nor articulate. He was bald, and not really very tall. And he was unemployed except for a few stints as a front desk guy at a local gym. And .. he lived with his parents at the age of 26 still. He was the comedy show stereotype of the quintessential loser. And yet this guy was always with a new hot girl every two weeks. He finally married a beautiful girl who has rich parents and who herself was graduating from law school. I can't figure it out.
Maybe they're really good in bed? lol

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyNewGuy View Post

It's amazing what a good personality and being a man that engages and listens will do At least, that's what I'm assuming those men have... I find women are far more lenient on looks than men are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You sure they're serious? Maybe they're just 'testing to' to see if you'll 'break'?
I'm absolutely 100% sure they were serious. I don't really know why they would try to break a 19 year old girl though, they were perfectly nice to the cute girls that worked there.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Boring to YOU but he could be interesting to someone else. How do you make a decision by talking to them in 30 seconds to 3 minnutes? You could be chatty and still boring. It takes a few meetings to find out.
I did end up talking to him many more times (we were in the same extended circle/went to the same parties/had friend crossover). He was still boring. Then I decided to take an informal poll of my circle. It was hilarious. We were all in agreement. Hot but boring. This guy really has nothing to interesting say at all. I run into him ever few years, same story. It is a snooze fest.

My initial instincts are usually pretty good.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's amazing what a good personality and being a man that engages and listens will do At least, that's what I'm assuming those men have... I find women are far more lenient on looks than men are.

I'm absolutely 100% sure they were serious. I don't really know why they would try to break a 19 year old girl though, they were perfectly nice to the cute girls that worked there.
Then I'm sorry you have to deal with such nasty behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships