Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,104,102 times

Advertisements

You're husband is going to school?
Well yeah, if I already had a wife, that is, had company, cuddling, and sex as a regular thing, then yeah I could easily get a degree. In fact, I could get a law degree, one other degree, and still work out enough to look pretty good. But I don't and I've never been good at dating so it bugs the crap out of me, and I need to spend time to keep an active and expanding social life so I can at least get married at some point.

It may seem stupid that I'd need the prize before the effort, but it really isn't if you think about it/combine it with impatience and insecurity*. Why would I do all the work and sacrifice for something that isn't guaranteed? I'm too smart to do that. I need the incentive first. Really, would I be the first guy to go to school with the help of his spouse?

*insecurity in terms of my life, not myself; I know I'm awesome, I've just never gotten much socially. Then again, I'd never really tried until the past year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,678,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Its called logic. If you make a general statement that all college drop outs are below standard and I can show you an example where this is not true then this makes your statement illogical or not true.

Allen, Gates, Dell are just famous examples of college dropouts. In reality there are thousands of successfull people who never finished college and are a full class above those who graduated from college just to appease their parents and are as dumb as when they were admitted. College is only as good as the knowledge you absorb and if you spent time partying and don't learn anything it is wasted time. I know so many dumb college grads surprised nobody wants to hire them while they can't even type a decent resume.

I think you'll find a lot of those 'successful college dropouts' had pretty darn good reasons to do so. I already explained Gates earlier (it helps being born into a family that is wealthy and well connected) but I haven't researched Allen or Dell, but I think you'll find more of the same.

It's like saying everyone can be like Paris Hilton because SHE never went to college and look how rich and successful she is now! Do you really think if she didn't have that Hilton behind her name she would have been able to start clothing lines and whatnot? I really, truly doubt it. She happened to have been born into a life of privilege that allowed her become successful. I'm not downplaying those drop-outs that started their own companies at all, but there is usually circumstances behind it.

Edited to add:
Just researched Michael Dell...sure enough, born into a very wealthy family that was able to buy him a teletype machine and computer at a very young age. He was very intelligent and motivated, but he had the backround to allow him to become successful.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,804,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think you'll find a lot of those 'successful college dropouts' had pretty darn good reasons to do so. I already explained Gates earlier (it helps being born into a family that is wealthy and well connected) but I haven't researched Allen or Dell, but I think you'll find more of the same.

It's like saying everyone can be like Paris Hilton because SHE never went to college and look how rich and successful she is now! Do you really think if she didn't have that Hilton behind her name she would have been able to start clothing lines and whatnot? .
Do you really think that Paris Hilton with a college degree, with her money she could get one easily with no effort, would be smarter? Lol

You bring up models (many are very succesful w/o any backing from family, the same with sports stars) but forget that Allen and Gates besides being wealthy were super smart geeks and no college degree would make them smarter.

Research what you want but college degree will not make you smarter or more successful . It can provide you with knowledge but it is your choice if you ever absorb any and it is up to you to use it in a smart way.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,234,410 times
Quote:
Its called logic. If you make a general statement that all college drop outs are below standard and I can show you an example where this is not true then this makes your statement illogical or not true.

Allen, Gates, Dell are just famous examples of college dropouts. In reality there are thousands of successfull people who never finished college and are a full class above those who graduated from college just to appease their parents and are as dumb as when they were admitted. College is only as good as the knowledge you absorb and if you spent time partying and don't learn anything it is wasted time. I know so many dumb college grads surprised nobody wants to hire them while they can't even type a decent resume.
People speak of trends. They do not speak of outliers because outliers do not play a significant role with trends. So, no, what you're speaking of is not logic. Who you know and who I know is irrelevant. I don't know any dumb grads off line. You know plenty. It depends on our circles. One thing is clear. Unemployment is significantly lower for grads, even those with fluff degrees that hold little value.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
People speak of trends. They do not speak of outliers because outliers do not play a significant role with trends. So, no, what you're speaking of is not logic. Who you know and who I know is irrelevant. I don't know any dumb grads off line. You know plenty. It depends on our circles. One thing is clear. Unemployment is significantly lower for grads, even those with fluff degrees that hold little value.
Sure especially since many college grads work blue collar jobs I.e. jobs where their degrees are irrelevant.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Do you really think that Paris Hilton with a college degree, with her money she could get one easily with no effort, would be smarter? Lol

You bring up models (many are very succesful w/o any backing from family, the same with sports stars) but forget that Allen and Gates besides being wealthy were super smart geeks and no college degree would make them smarter.

Research what you want but college degree will not make you smarter or more successful . It can provide you with knowledge but it is your choice if you ever absorb any and it is up to you to use it in a smart way.
Perhaps if she had grown up in a home that valued education and she was less spoiled, she might have gone to college and made something of herself, who knows?

Again, while Gates is smart, he was one of a VERY FEW who had access to computers so he could teach himself how to program. I wonder how many other men are just as smart if not smarter than Gates who didn't have the backing of a very wealthy family? Without that family, I honestly doubt he would be where he is today.

I disagree about a college degree not making you smarter or more successful, my degrees have absolutely made me smarter and more successful than I would be without them. I was recently offered a job with a rather large aerospace company (that I incidentally turned down) that I wouldn't have been even considered for without my degrees regardless of how 'smart' I was. My ex boss wouldn't have his job without his degree (it's a requirement for the position he was in, regardless of company).

While I couldn't care less who has a degree and who doesn't, it's silly to say going to college is pointless for most people.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Sure especially since many college grads work blue collar jobs I.e. jobs where their degrees are irrelevant.
To move up to a supervisory position (i.e. making decent money), many blue collar professions do require degrees. I know my blue collar profession does, you can have 30 years experience but without that degree you're not getting hired.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
You seem to travel in diploma mill circles. You won't get an argument from me that many of these people have no business in college and just waste their money to purchase paper that doesn't have value.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
To move up to a supervisory position (i.e. making decent money), many blue collar professions do require degrees. I know my blue collar profession does, you can have 30 years experience but without that degree you're not getting hired.
Don't you have an engineering degree?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps if she had grown up in a home that valued education and she was less spoiled, she might have gone to college and made something of herself, who knows?
Are you serious? And what? Became a an accountant? Which girl wouldn't honestly trade places with Paris Hilton? Lol What Guy wouldn't rather be an NBA star. You heard about Jeremy Lynn? Harvard degree yet he rather would play in NBA then be stuck in a grey cubicle. Can you blame him?

Quote:
Again, while Gates is smart, he was one of a VERY FEW who had access to computers so he could teach himself how to program. I wonder how many other men are just as smart if not smarter than Gates who didn't have the backing of a very wealthy family? Without that family, I honestly doubt he would be where he is today.
I don't think his family had anything to do with him being smart. This kind of genius is a gift and no education can give you that. Could he be more successful having finished Harvard? I don't think so. He was smarter than his teachers, they could not teach him anything.

Quote:
I disagree about a college degree not making you smarter or more successful, my degrees have absolutely made me smarter and more successful than I would be without them.
And you post here to prove it? Lol

Quote:

I was recently offered a job with a rather large aerospace company (that I incidentally turned down) that I wouldn't have been even considered for without my degrees regardless of how 'smart' I was. My ex boss wouldn't have his job without his degree (it's a requirement for the position he was in, regardless of company).

While I couldn't care less who has a degree and who doesn't, it's silly to say going to college is pointless for most people.

I never said it is silly to go to college!!!! All I am saying is that college degree doesn't make anybody more intelligent or more successful the same way college degree doesn't protect from depression or mental illness. I hope my son will go to college but if not I wont cry about it.
This is your personality and intelligence that can make you successful in life, education can only help here. I mean success in your career and personal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships