Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times

Advertisements

There is a balance sheet for all of us and we all have entries on both sides. In the end one side will outweigh the other where there are no specific deal breakers that outweigh all other considerations. I myself am not an educated man but I do consider college a plus in that ledger and while events made it impossible for me to attend I did put all my kids through school. Knowledge and learning does nothing but make us better and though uneducated I am also inquisitive in the extreme and even at my age I continue to learn every day. For me a woman doesn't need a degree but she does need a mind that is open to new experience, that seeks, that stimulates my own. Without that it just isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Lets live and let live shall we? Please?

As with many topics, it's not a one size fits all. No matter how hard one tries, everyone has their stances and or preferences.

This thread has the pain of beating a dead horse until the bones start showing through and then those bones have been beaten as well.

To me this thread has exhausted its usefulness.

Time to close it until another thread like it is created in the future IMHO.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,100,357 times
Quote:
As with many topics, it's not a one size fits all. No matter how hard one tries, everyone has their stances and or preferences.
unfortunately our society, or certain circles within it, don't understand that, and only idolize college. I'd go further from what you said and say that different people are good at different things, and mature in different ways at different rates, but again, there are so many who see it as a boolean system, where either you didn't graduate college and you're a scum ****-up, or you did and only that qualifies you as having full humanity.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
There is a balance sheet for all of us and we all have entries on both sides. In the end one side will outweigh the other where there are no specific deal breakers that outweigh all other considerations. I myself am not an educated man but I do consider college a plus in that ledger and while events made it impossible for me to attend I did put all my kids through school. Knowledge and learning does nothing but make us better and though uneducated I am also inquisitive in the extreme and even at my age I continue to learn every day. For me a woman doesn't need a degree but she does need a mind that is open to new experience, that seeks, that stimulates my own. Without that it just isn't there.
You may not be formally educated, but I consider you to be an educated person. Far more so than any person hailing from a diploma mill. Learning and growing is what it's ultimately about IMO.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Oh please, it's far more than single moms and feminists. For one, you don't have a seat at the feminist table for your opinion to matter. Single moms, sure. But, it's women and you are just negative to your core about women. And how is it pot kettle?

This thread showcases deeper issues than insecurities about credentials, especially when tied to other threads the same posters engage in. At the end of the day people don't have the same choices to make. Folk aren't coming from the same space and they don't have the same tools you do, which is why I think what you do is harming and thoughtless across threads. It's harming to your comrades because you're not doing them any favors. They have to live their pov, not the women they spew anger about.

The shyte will hit the fan unless we have another serious boom, but if we stay on the current trajectory it's going to get worse. College really needs to be funded via taxes. I hate saying it, but there's no way a growing, uneducated populace is going to do anyone any good. I suppose that's not even a college issue. That's a failing k-12 issue.
ha I didn't think feminists were capable of building a table or even having an opinion that garnered validity without causing hysterical laughs, that's another digression in itself.

You're making it out like I hate women, which I can assure you is not the case.

if people are spewing frustration and anger about women, well its obviously a reaction to things occurring in their environment. The only things I can suggest to those men is to better themselves and not deal with the crud or rotting vegetables out there. I don't kow tow to females and I call them out on their behavior, all of the sudden that makes me rotten to the core? Please.

Funding college via taxes sounds nice but right now we're at the point of no return. A boom could solve the problem but it will most likely be the result of another war unfortunately.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
ha I didn't think feminists were capable of building a table or even having an opinion that garnered validity without causing hysterical laughs, that's another digression in itself.

if people are spewing frustration and anger about women, well its obviously a reaction to things occurring in their environment. The only things I can suggest to those men is to better themselves and not deal with the crud or rotting vegetables out there. I don't kow tow to females and I call them out on their behavior, all of the sudden that makes me rotten to the core? Please.

Funding college via taxes sounds nice but right now we're at the point of no return. A boom could solve the problem but it will most likely be the result of another war unfortunately.
Not necessarily so on the war part. The post Word-War Two boom was made possible because of the massive manufacturing and factory growth required to equip the American army (much bigger back then as well.) Legions of lower-middle class jobs were created including positions like radio operators that allowed women to enter the workforce in droves. The Iraq war, on the other hand, created little new jobs since all the equipment required was already manufactured. The army is now a small, volunteer force with excessively high tech equipment like the M1 Abrams that are nice toys but utterly overkill for dealing with insurgents who don't even have tanks or planes. If you cut the all the tanks, planes, ships and missiles in half, the US still would have a massive advantage to any country on the planet and you could use those billions and billions of dollars to fund education. But the defense lobby would never let it fly, because a Lockheed Martin director can send his son/daughter to private institutions and pay for all his years of college, easy, so what does he care.

Last edited by Inebriated Duck; 09-05-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Not necessarily so on the war part. The post Word-War Two boom was made possible because of the massive manufacturing and factory growth required to equip the American army (much bigger back then as well.) Legions of lower-middle class jobs were created including positions like radio operators that allowed women to enter the workforce in droves. The Iraq war, on the other hand, created little new jobs since all the equipment required was already manufactured. The army is now a small, volunteer force with excessively high tech equipment like the M1 Abrams that are nice toys but utterly overkill for dealing with insurgents who don't even have tanks or planes. If you cut the all the tanks, planes, ships and missiles in half, the US still would have a massive advantage to any country on the planet and you could use those billions and billions of dollars to fund education. But the defense lobby would never let it fly, because a Lockheed Martin director can send his school to private institutions and pay for all his years of college, easy, so what does he care.
And the GI bill who sent thousends of veterans to colleges. These GI bill college grads moved the country forward.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I'm a feminist and my power tool collection is quite large. I think building a table would be as doable as any other simple home project. Anyhow, it is what it is. You don't have influence in that arena. What you happen to think of feminism doesn't matter. What my boss, my company, government, etc thinks of it does matter.

Quote:
wordlife, to fit a stereotype, I have the memory of an elephant. While your posts these days are largely intelligent and thoughtful, I have, till this day, never come across the kind of communications as those from early on. At least that has stopped, but you still cheer lead for some real stupidity. That or just people who are trolling.

Quote:
It's not necessarily a reaction to their environment. It appears to be combination of many variables. For one, quite a few of them express social anxiety and various mental/emotional challenges, which has nothing to do with women. Then there are the trolls. I outed one today actually. Any how, regardless of personal experience it's wrong, and certainly unintelligent, to generalize onto a group based on personal experience.

Quote:
My concern is that if we don't allow advanced education to be accessible to the entire population that will result in gross disparity and we'll really be up a creak if that becomes the case. Regarding a boom, I think Obama wanted that to happen with green energy. It didn't seem to work.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They were aholes.
Going to college had nothing to do with that.
Yeah but it showed me that having a degree doesn't make you a better mate.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
But education should not be a goal by itself, if you cant use it in any practical way, it is useless. Always unemployed PhD is as useless as perpetually unemployed GED.
I wasn't implying it was the only goal someone would look for, but it is an example of one. It takes a certain drive and dedication to get a PhD., that not everyone has the patience nor the desire to achieve. Obtaining one is one way of demonstrating certain traits such as tenacity, discipline and focus, which are desirale traits to many people. I have yet to meet someone who achieved a PhD that had no idea what they would use it for. People with highly advanced degrees know what they're in for. You may argue certain associate and bachelor's degrees may easier to obtain than others, but you can't paint all degrees at different levels with the same brush. Engineering, Chemistry, and Biology degrees are just some examples of degrees that are not a cakewalk.

The model may get more dates, now, but she won't be able to abide by her looks forever. A degree, you have forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships