Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I call my animals "the kids" tongue in cheek and know a lot of other people who do too. My guys don't get pampered like some pets, but they are my constant companions, since I work from home.

But they are animals, and I don't feel about them the same way I feel about the people in my life. The feelings are intense though. I don't think you can understand it unless you've worked with an animal to the extent that the expression on your face or a flick of your hand can set off a chain reaction of trained behaviors.

I have a friend who trained her own service dog, who basically takes care of her whenever she is disabled by her illness (a birth defect that can be very debilitating). The bond between them is very, very strong, and my friend's quality of life is very dependent on this dog. I wouldn't recommend telling her "Well, it's not a person." - that dog isn't a person, but it IS a lifeline, a highly trained and very loyal creature who would cheerfully lay down its life for its human. It helps my friend out when she's in agony, bringing her items she needs, retrieving things that she dropped, waking her up when her alarm goes off and her hearing aids are out, etc.

The other thing about pets is that it is a deeply personal relationship. No one else will have the same "intimacy" that you have with your animal. So when they die, you mourn alone.

I lost my best friend when I was 23, and I still mourn her. But I didn't come unglued at her death the way I did when my first dog that I had trained on my own died. When my dog died, I was mourning alone and no one really could understand what exactly I had lost. They saw only the death of a very odd and sometimes annoying animal. When my best friend died I mourned with hundreds of other people who shared similar memories and knew exactly who she was. She wasn't lost to me entirely, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I call my animals "the kids" tongue in cheek and know a lot of other people who do too. My guys don't get pampered like some pets, but they are my constant companions, since I work from home.

But they are animals, and I don't feel about them the same way I feel about the people in my life. The feelings are intense though. I don't think you can understand it unless you've worked with an animal to the extent that the expression on your face or a flick of your hand can set off a chain reaction of trained behaviors.

I have a friend who trained her own service dog, who basically takes care of her whenever she is disabled by her illness (a birth defect that can be very debilitating). The bond between them is very, very strong, and my friend's quality of life is very dependent on this dog. I wouldn't recommend telling her "Well, it's not a person." - that dog isn't a person, but it IS a lifeline, a highly trained and very loyal creature who would cheerfully lay down its life for its human. It helps my friend out when she's in agony, bringing her items she needs, retrieving things that she dropped, waking her up when her alarm goes off and her hearing aids are out, etc.

The other thing about pets is that it is a deeply personal relationship. No one else will have the same "intimacy" that you have with your animal. So when they die, you mourn alone.

I lost my best friend when I was 23, and I still mourn her. But I didn't come unglued at her death the way I did when my first dog that I had trained on my own died. When my dog died, I was mourning alone and no one really could understand what exactly I had lost. They saw only the death of a very odd and sometimes annoying animal. When my best friend died I mourned with hundreds of other people who shared similar memories and knew exactly who she was. She wasn't lost to me entirely, you know?
My dog will never die. I can't even go there.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM

331 posts, read 735,196 times
My parents grew up very poor in India, they lost relatives because people couldn't afford medicine. I'd rather people spent money helping humans than pets.

A friend of mine said her cousin spent a couple of hundred dollars on a birthday party for dog - I thought that was obscene. She went but her father refused to go because he thought that it was ridiculous.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
My old Husky who died last Christmas Eve..was a disloyal fellow..He always preferred the company of females more than mine...The dogs birthday was exactly the same as mine...Every time my birthday popped up the family would rib me and say "It's Toby's birthday you know" - It irked me..now that Toby is dead and gone- I don't have to share a cake with the stupid mutt....It really bugged me...finally I can have birthday parties without his stupid face getting all the attention....lol..

Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My dog will never die. I can't even go there.
I am worried how my eldest daughter will deal with her two old dogs passing away...They are so connected and dependent on her and she on them...It seems that when I was younger...dogs dying was not that big a deal- At my old home we have a few of them buried along the fence line...BUT - I guess I have become more vulnerable...I really don't like dealing with death at all..human or animal...Not as tough as I used to be...On the outside I appear tough and hard...little do people know...I have grown so soft of heart..that I can't show it...must be maturity.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
I love my dog more than most people, that's certain. Big deal, she doesn't speak English. She has much better intentions at heart than much of the human population. For her its loyalty, selflessness, love, affection.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
.They understand...and when I say "Who wants food?" They understand.....They have more intelligence than most give them credit for...
I got quite a surprise one day when I exasperatingly told one of mine to go "get a drink in the kitchen" and he did-makes me wonder what else he understands! It's happened several times so I know it wasn't a fluke. Yet he doesn't understand "fetch."

I do think the birthday parties for pets is extreme. I also feel that way about having a birthday party for a one year old, so if I had a child that probably would have scarred it for life.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 18,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Dunno if I'd refer to any pet of mine as "kids" but I don't think it's that weird. Animals are awesome.

And there are plenty of humans I wouldn't place above bacteria, let alone animals.
Hurricane, I totally agree.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM

23 posts, read 18,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I love my dog more than most people, that's certain. Big deal, she doesn't speak English. She has much better intentions at heart than much of the human population. For her its loyalty, selflessness, love, affection.
So very true!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
My parents grew up very poor in India, they lost relatives because people couldn't afford medicine. I'd rather people spent money helping humans than pets.

A friend of mine said her cousin spent a couple of hundred dollars on a birthday party for dog - I thought that was obscene. She went but her father refused to go because he thought that it was ridiculous.
But at least pets are LIVING THINGS. People spend ridiculous amounts of money on stupid frivolous stuff in this country. I'd much rather someone donate to a pet charity or pay for a lifesaving procedure for their dog rather than buy a new Mercedes, ya know? At least those things are acts of love rather than acquisitiveness.

A pet birthday party is stupid to a degree, but my friends and I have "dog parties" all the time. Parties where you get to bring your dog. We all have dogs we've trained, sometimes for sports sometimes just as companions. When I entertain my friends in my home, a couple hundred bucks is the minimum of what I spend, whether the pets come or not. Obviously I don't do this very often. But I think at the last party I threw, there were 6 dogs running around my place and 9 humans. It was a total blast. So maybe the birthday was really a birthday party for the dog, or maybe it was just an excuse for some friends to get together.

Do you really think that if Americans didn't spend money on pets they'd be donating that cash to charities helping the third world? Get real. They'd just be buying more iPods, dinners out, cruises, video games, cell phones, whatever. The money spent on pets in this country is just a symptom of the nation's tendency towards conspicuous consumption in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships