Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM

496 posts, read 941,237 times

Advertisements

Skel's advice made me recall something I hadn't thought of in years.

I pulled a silly stunt for one of my gay guy friends trying to help him figure out if another guy we knew was gay. One time I approached a guy who lived in our coed dorm (I'm female) and started a conversation and told him my friend and I were playing a game which involved watching people watching people. So I told him I noticed he mostly looked at guys, so I was wondering, not to be invasive, but just out of curiosity (and all this other preamble), if he was gay. I told him it was just part of this correlation bet we had going and blah blah blah. In hindsight, he probably thought I liked him, but I'd do all kinds of ridiculous things that my friends weren't willing to do. See, if I were in your shoes, I'd just have a conversation about it with him. That's because I've never had a negative reaction to anyone being gay and I'd have no problem with someone asking me if I were gay. And so I project.

I'd hate for it to get awkward between the two of you if your friend isn't comfortable with it. However, if he is your friend and you can be his friend even if he knows and doesn't reciprocate, then there should be no problems. If he finds out who you are and hates you for it, he's not much of a friend. One caveat, however: if you are emotionally unprepared to handle a romantic or human rejection, do not talk to him about it directly. This is sensitive and, while I would truly, deeply want you to be comfortable enough with who you are to shout it to the world, your emotional well-being is absolutely the most important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
So what if the guy is gay?

He's your friend! Don't be one of those gay guys that are friends for the sole purpose of getting your chance with a hot guy... geez

Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,360 times
Ummm ...ask

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
I thought you guys had a gaydar.

I wouldn't...too much to lose...but that's just me.

I actually think that one of the best ways a gay young person can deal is to hang out with some older gay people. I personally know a closeted gay who does this...he's very young and sensitive about disappointing his parents, so he pretty much lives a double life.

Works for him. The older ones are giving him the loving he needs, and showing him the ropes as it were (literally lol), but it's safe for him. There's clubs and pubs they hang out at too, so once you know a couple of people you're in the 'scene' and no longer a floundering novice as you seem to be.

At a later stage you can take him with you to a pub, see how he reacts...if he's uncomfortable you can leave and your question's answered.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
just sexual expirences he didn't enjoy
Yup he's gay.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
I will add this; Your Gaydar must be stunted or broken, most Gay or Straight men can pick another Gay man if they spend a little time with them, since ya'll have been spending a lot of time together, you should KNOW by now.

These guys that talk about being hit on by a Gay were putting out Gay vibes, or are latent Homosexuals themselves.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 PM

496 posts, read 941,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
These guys that talk about being hit on by a Gay were putting out Gay vibes, or are latent Homosexuals themselves.
So off topic, but you are so wrong. I have been hit on by women and my fiancee has been hit on by men more often than I've been hit on by women. And I have past bfs who were hit on by men and female friends who were hit on by women. All of the people to whom I refer are long-term straights. The fact is we have a very gender stratified and highly codified society and if you don't acquiesce to the proper gestures from the proper column, you can be misread. Personally, I find the attention flattering and I'm glad everyone is comfortable enough to share their feelings/desires. But, my dear, we weren't givin' off dem dar gay vabs or being wonadem dar closet gays.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I'm not sure I'd go there if I were you. At least not while you're roommates. I'm surprised you can't get any kind of vibe from him on it. He may not have quite figured it out himself yet, and if you push the issue by asking him out right, you may end up pushing him away and make your living situation really uncomfortable. I'd honestly pursue other options right now until you can get a better handle on if he really is gay or not. And even if he is gay he may just think of you as a good friend.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
So off topic, but you are so wrong. I have been hit on by women and my fiancee has been hit on by men more often than I've been hit on by women. And I have past bfs who were hit on by men and female friends who were hit on by women. All of the people to whom I refer are long-term straights. The fact is we have a very gender stratified and highly codified society and if you don't acquiesce to the proper gestures from the proper column, you can be misread. Personally, I find the attention flattering and I'm glad everyone is comfortable enough to share their feelings/desires. But, my dear, we weren't givin' off dem dar gay vabs or being wonadem dar closet gays.

Okay lets add MOST to that. Next time ya'll go out, maybe you should be the one to wear the dress.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yup he's gay.
Error 404, logic not fond.

Having a bad sexual experience doesn't mean anything orientation wise. It could just mean it was a bad sexual experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships