Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Not if your rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Not if you know how to manage your money.
Managing your money would mean not spending it the way the OP indicates.

Even if you're rich, your money can run out. Only if you have an infinite number of bills can you truly spend your money any way you want (which was the implication in the poll) and not run out of funds. So it's still a biased poll. Infinite money vs. "true love" that might not last? The latter is the same arrangement many of us have right now. You might as well have just asked "If you could have all the money you wanted, would you like that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
When you look At most People in america(and the world) biggest problems in life, it all comes back in some shape or form to not having enough money.
*Takes a look at our national debt*

I agree.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Managing your money would mean not spending it the way the OP indicates.

Even if you're rich, your money can run out. Only if you have an infinite number of bills can you truly spend your money any way you want (which was the implication in the poll) and not run out of funds. So it's still a biased poll. Infinite money vs. "true love" that might not last? The latter is the same arrangement many of us have right now. You might as well have just asked "If you could have all the money you wanted, would you like that?"
The whole point of the question was to find out what the genders value most; money or love.

If people are willingly able to walk away from as much money as their heart desires just for a chance at true love then there is no doubt in their mind that love is a priority over love.

If people are willingly able to walk away from a chance at true love and go for the sure thing of having money, then money is their priority.

This is a realistic question that applies to everyday life.

Are you willingly to relocate for a job that pays 3 times as much as your current job in your current location with limitless opportunities leaving your partner behind knowing that your relationship will fail?
Are you career focused?
Do you put your career over quality time with your partner or are you willing to sacrifice opportunities at vast sums of money in order to try to make a relationship work.

Heck, maybe you just started seeing someone. They completely take your breath away. Your making 50K a year a respectable income but your get a huge promotion and now you guy from a 5 figure salary to a powerful 6 figure salary. Thats not all; that job opens new opportunities and now your own your way to 7 figures.You call up your potential partner and let him/her know the good news. You also tell them your relocating and to come with you. They tell you they can't because they have a better position where your at now. They tell you they want to stay close to family. They tell they have a sick grandmother or mom who needs their intention. Which would you choose? A chance at true love or the sure thing.

Again the question I asked was realistic. Chasing money is a sure thing. Chasing a man/women isn't.

I also apologize for my previous post. My post in this thread has mislead you from the original question.

The question was Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or maybe find true love?

The question was not based off of infinite money.
I personally desire an income of 10 mill a year a near infinite money income. So I made a mistake and thought thats what everyone would want and pushed that idea on everyone who post here. I apologize for that misunderstanding and I admit to that mistake.

Truth of the matter is the amount of money people desire varies from individual to individual.
I may desire 10 million a year and choose it over truelove but someone else may desire only 500K a year.
Somebody else could desire 100 mill a year.

The question is realistic.

I have to completely disagree with your even if your rich your money can still run out.
Thats like saying even if you find true love you could still snap go insane and murder your partner...

lol let's not over complicate the question.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Already have both.

Thankfully, not mutually exclusive.
Not millions and billions, but enough to have a great life.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
While this focuses more on non-romantice love, the dilema is pretty much the same and it is pretty timely on my part.

My nephew died almost a year ago and his younger brother is having a hard time with it. One thing that was bittersweet is he just tried out for football and made the team and told his mom in the car, "I wish I could go home and tell my big brother." There has also been a lot of focus on my other nephew and I didn't want Max to become the 'forgotten child.' While James was born here, around family and had a lot of attention and memories with us all, Max was born down south so he didn't get all that bonding and attention.

My house, my car, my bills - as anyone else they all need some attention and TLC and is frustrating. I recently got an unexpected check in the mail that could take care of a few of those things. We aren't talking millions of dollars, but enough.

I made the decision to put everything on hold and fly down for only one reason - to see my nephew play football. I know he's excited someone is coming to see him play and it's the most love I can give him right now. I had told my mother just the other day, "There will always be house repairs and car repairs and bills, but Max will only be this age once and at this time the circumstances far outway any immediacy of anything else."

I think of my nephew who is no longer here and everything I think about were things we did which cost absolutely nothing to do. He loved to paint when he came over my house. One of my favorite memories was moving ALL the furniture out of the living room (they were hardwood floors) and I took this huge roll of white paper, rolled it out and covered the whole floor end to end. I put each color of paint on different plates and then went and got my misc. utensil drawer out of the kitchen and told him he could use his hands or anything in that drawer - but he couldn't use a paint brush. We had the best time making a major mess.

After he left I walked around and noticed there were sections that were really cool. So, I cut the sections out and had them mounted on canvass. I have one that goes from the ceiling to the floor and I had him sign it with his hand print. When my brother called me and told me he died I remember just sitting there staring off into space and was so numb. Then I realized I was staring at that painting. There is no dollar amount I could ever put on that painting or the memories that go with it.

You can have all the money in the world and you will never be satisfied. When people speak at your funeral, or after you are gone, rarely do they ever talk about the amount of money you had, but rather their experiences with you. Life is not measured by the dollar; a person is a measure and sum of all the experiences in their lives. True love comes in many forms.

The very last thing James said to me on the telephone was, "I love you Aunt T" a week before he died. That is simply priceless.

Last edited by Thursday007; 09-09-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 AM

890 posts, read 1,650,528 times
Love...I suck at it and if I could find true love, I'd be so happy!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:45 AM

633 posts, read 724,429 times
Money hands down. True love is over rated. I can buy and do EVERYTHING with money. Love? eh. Money can't buy you class according to a classless real housewife LOL how ironic.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
I grew up in stages of each economic class from poor to middle class to rich to whatever the hell I am now. I can tell you looking back on all of it, my family was the most miserable when we were rich.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
The whole point of the question was to find out what the genders value most; money or love.
But it doesn't. Because for all you know, some of the people who answered "money" only did so because the money was permanent and infinite, and the "true love" wasn't. How do you know this doesn't actually reflect that people value permanency over something temporary, not necessarily money over love?

You don't.

Quote:
The question is realistic.

I have to completely disagree with your even if your rich your money can still run out.
Thats like saying even if you find true love you could still snap go insane and murder your partner...
There is nothing realistic about the idea of getting "all the money your heart desires". To make it realistic, you'd have to give the money a number (e.g., "You won the lottery amounting to $_____"), which would instantly mean that someone could indeed run out of it. The following...

Quote:
Think about it. Condos, super cars, never have to work again if you so choose, explore the world, or you can basically do nearly anything you desire.

Maybe you want to own several estates across the nation or overseas. Maybe take 5 star cruise ships or own a private jet.
...is snapping, going insane, and killing your money. When you compare the desirabilities of one thing vs another, you should make all other factors equal.

"Enough money to last your whole life" should be compared only with "Enough love to last your whole life". But you don't get that. Oh well, I won't push the argument any further unless you have a question for me.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
True love. I'm smart and able enough to make a comfortable living. I might not ever own a Lambo or a helicopter but who needs that?

I grew up in a family that was pretty well-off and I was still miserable at times. Money can solve a lot of problems but it won't bring you happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships