Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Exactly. So far, it seems that most of the people choosing money are making some fundamental mistakes and exposing them in their explanations:

1. Equating an "average" life with poverty, going hungry, not being able to pay the bills.
2. Thinking that the money would be in any way more permanent than true love, a concept with permanency as one of it's very implications. In fact, that's usually what people mean when they say they want to find true love, a love that will last at least for the rest of their lives. Even the OP (who has an obvious bias) didn't specify that there was NO chance the money would be lost one way or another.
3. That the amount of money that would increase their general feelings of happiness is both high and hard to find. Not so. I'd wager that enough money to make ends meet plus buy something new and do something fun once or twice a week would be enough for just about all of us. The rest would add nothing to our quality of life.

I'm fine with people simply choosing money over true love. To each his own. But not if you have to delude yourself first.
1. That is what my "average" life has been and I'm sick of it.
2. I'm a banking guy, I know how money lasts and where to put it to last.
3. The amount of money that'd make me happy would be enough to never work another day in my life along with plenty to travel and have nice toys at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Incidentally, I started a similar thread several months ago, except I imposed more rules and didn't think to have gender options in the poll (which I feel is a good idea).

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...situation.html

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Money. That's why I work as hard as I do. Money pays bills. Money fuels people's lifestyles. Money is the lifeblood of the global economy.
Money doesn't always fuel people's lifestyles it depends on what you consider is your choice life style. Right now somewhere in the world are two people, back packing on a budget who are falling in love because of chemistry not because of money, who are experiencing each other and the world around them because of the simplest things like a drink on the beach yet at the same time one of the hardest things to find real love that no amount of money can buy.

So you can afford the latest iphone well cool, or maybe you got it by racking up your credit card and now must work work work to pay it off. Now what? Got anybody to call that really loves you or you love them?

Not saying money doesn't matter but it shouldn't rule everything. Somewhere in the world right now is a filthy rich guy who it is his birthday today and no one thought to call him or express genuine feelings to say happy birthday. He may get a call tomorrow though from one of his dime a dozen women though because she needs a loan.

Somewhere in the world actually many in the world there is a guy who worked hard, pays his bills who just got a notice that he is laid off or down sized because someone above him is concerned with fueling their lifestyle. Somewhere in the world is a guy who works hard and pays his bills and was just told he has 6 months to live and he is thinking now about all the things he hasn't done because he was so worried about working hard to pay bills for all those material things and how all those bills and things mean nothing now.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. That is what my "average" life has been and I'm sick of it.
Being poor, going hungry, and not being able to pay the bills is not an average lifestyle. I think it was pretty clear when the OP said "an average lifestyle" (rather than "your average lifestyle") they meant that you'd be getting by well enough. Again, you people are cheating on the question. The very challenge lies in the fact that it's not a question of true love vs SURVIVAL. It's true love vs being very wealthy.

But I kinda understand your reasoning better now. If I had been walking through the desert, I'd buy a small bottle of water for $100 without hesitation!

Quote:
2. I'm a banking guy, I know how money lasts and where to put it to last.
Fair enough. But at very least, one should not assume true love is any less reliable (or its permanency less realistic) than "all the money your heart desires".

Quote:
3. The amount of money that'd make me happy would be enough to never work another day in my life along with plenty to travel and have nice toys at home.
In other words, things to keep your mind entertained (Being off work would be nice, but it wouldn't be enough to make one happy without stimulation). But is this feature built into the dollar amount of an object or even the number of objects you own? I'd say at least some fraction of this depends on you (creativity, energy, motivation, etc.) aaaaand your social life! Which is where the true love would come in

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM

132 posts, read 176,277 times
I'll take the money thanks! I don't care to be rich, but at least I can buy myself some isolation from this ridiculous society and some serious comfort + a few hookers here & there when I get lonely.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
im fine working at what i love and making exactly what i already do. i could retire right now if i wanted to, but that's not what motivates me. having those around you to share your good moments with and doing what you enjoy is what makes life worth living, not how much i have on me at any given moment.

money is not always the ends to the means it is just another factor in the whole equation of that little thing called life

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Another person who is redefining the concept of "true love" to make their decision make more sense. What do you think sets love apart from true love, if not that one may or may not last and the other will? I seriously don't get how you and a few others here have come across the idea that even true love can be "fleeting". No, true love is forever. You might argue that it doesn't exist at all, that's up to you. But the idea is permanency! That's what the phrase means!

/rant
The premise of my choice of money over love is that the lifestyle is easier, not that love is a false concept. As a result of that easier lifestyle, I'd be more able and willing to fall in, and accept, whatever "true love" is, which I don't have as much faith in, but I didn't imply that it doesn't exist. Sorry but love doesn't pay the bills around here, even if it were what you believe to be more "true" that any other love. You don't know people's personal circumstances and for all you know, someone struggling might just need money more than just love, even a true love just to survive.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
True love will bring more joy than all the money in the world- give me love....as for the money...just need enough...not to little not to much....to wake up and have a coffee with the love of your life...Is a world tour ...worth billions...love love love...mmmmmmm sweet love.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
The premise of my choice of money over love is that the lifestyle is easier, not that love is a false concept. As a result of that easier lifestyle, I'd be more able and willing to fall in, and accept, whatever "true love" is, which I don't have as much faith in, but I didn't imply that it doesn't exist. Sorry but love doesn't pay the bills around here, even if it were what you believe to be more "true" that any other love. You don't know people's personal circumstances and for all you know, someone struggling might just need money more than just love, even a true love just to survive.
I'm fine with that. Obviously, as people's needs change, so do their preferences. I'll only add that I think the prospect of having "as much money as your heart desires" for a lifetime is every bit as unrealistic as having true love for a lifetime. Idk, I just like to put both choices on level ground before choosing one over the other.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Chances for "true love" VEry slim and none. Might as well go with the money. With the money, you can get fake love, which is what most people have anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships