Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 AM

864 posts, read 1,455,582 times

Advertisements

Love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,837,096 times
true love of course

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,960 times
True love is dependent on money, it goes out the window when the money runs out, so I'd choose money of course.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It may seem repugnant to some but if you like me have ever:

- Lived or spend major time in a neighborhood ripped apart by poverty and its ill effects.
- Worried about having something to eat for dinner.
- Had to beg and borrow money to travel to see a parent in their last days.
- Been put back majorly by an unplanned car repair.
- Been trapped in a job you hate with a passion.
- Seen a loved one struggle through money troubles that were no fault of their own.

Then you would understand why some would choose unlimited money.
Actually I have lived all over Africa and in some parts of South America. I also spent time in Ethiopia and Eritrea in the mid 80s and because of various involvements with charities also spent time in inner city slums and ghettoes. I have seen what poverty does to people physically, socially and emotionally. Which is why I decided to leave an environment which was part of the problem. Because nobody who is super rich has gotten there without exploiting others one way or another or stepping on people. And for me that price is too high.

As I say nobody wants to be poor. I can see why people would chose to be comfortably off and never to have to worry about paying the bills, putting food on the table and ensuring your kids and loved ones are well looked after. What we are talking about here is being super rich /billionaire. And that obsession to me is really abhorent and disturbs me profoundly because it somehow assigns a value to money which I do not see.

Money is here to make life comfortable and easy. Nobody needs a rolex, a multimillion dollar mansion, a lamborghini, and stock options. Those who do IMO are seriously lacking in other aspects of life and being blinded by the hype.

I like money. Most people do. But there has to be a balance between seeing money as a means of achieving a decent level of comfort and security and desiring an obscene amount. Poverty is obscene, and excessive wealth is too IMO. Both diminish you as a human being.

Money is a distraction from realising who you are if money is all you think about. There is more to life than being a millionaire/billionaire.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
True love is dependent on money, it goes out the window when the money runs out, so I'd choose money of course.
What a lot of Phooey and Poppycock ! True love has nothing to do with money, I know a lot of people with virtually nothing who have loved and been loved all their lives.

And people with all the money in the world who would not know love if it bit them on the butt. If love runs out when your money runs out then you never had it in the first place.

What a cynical jaded view of the world and what a lot of piffles. If true love depended on money I would have never crossed my Father, displeased him so much he disowned me and I would have married the guy he expected me to. And would now be living a life of idle wealth , unhappy and disenchanted. But heck the baubles and shiny things would be so worth it.... NOT.

I fell in love with Hubby despite his lack of money and if he lost his job tomorrow I would still love him. How dare you imply that everyone is as venal as some of you seem to be.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Absolutely Darling, that is why you are one of the Good Guys and your Wife is lucky to have you ( as you are to have Her of course !). Some people obviously do not get the appeal of Loving someone and being Loved back.

Nobody wants to be poor, it would disingenuous to say so but this obsession with riches I truly find disturbing and if I am truly honest really quite repugnant.
Should everybody want true love? Am I mentally insane for not wanting it? I came from money. I inherited a healthy amount of money. I still have some and make plenty more. I still love it and I'll work myself to have more. It's a means to an end. Having money allows me to enjoy my life and do things. You ought to see how many countries I've visited and things I've done. I can't do anything if I'm poor.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
All the money in the world wouldn't mean much to me if I didn't have my husband with me to spend it with.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Should everybody want true love? Am I mentally insane for not wanting it? I came from money. I inherited a healthy amount of money. I still have some and make plenty more. I still love it and I'll work myself to have more. It's a means to an end. Having money allows me to enjoy my life and do things. You ought to see how many countries I've visited and things I've done. I can't do anything if I'm poor.
My wife and I started with nothing, now we have (not to be too vulgar) more than we could ever need. Money didn't make the relationship, the relationship made the money.

Of course it can just as easily work the other way around but being in love with someone feels better to me than the money. I've got used to the money, never got used to being this much in love.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
My wife and I started with nothing, now we have (not to be too vulgar) more than we could ever need. Money didn't make the relationship, the relationship made the money.

Of course it can just as easily work the other way around but being in love with someone feels better to me than the money. I've got used to the money, never got used to being this much in love.
Thankfully, I'm not cut from your cloth. Congratulations. I will never have more that I will ever need because I always push myself. I set goals for myself and have endeavors that are quite large and will require a lot of money. I need money to establish and reach my goals. I don't want to have any regrets when I'm on my deathbed. I want to have at least have an attempt at everything I want to do. I will never settle. Money makes the world go around. You have to pay for everything.

I've gotten used to being in love with someone but I've never gotten use to money.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Actually I have lived all over Africa and in some parts of South America. I also spent time in Ethiopia and Eritrea in the mid 80s and because of various involvements with charities also spent time in inner city slums and ghettoes. I have seen what poverty does to people physically, socially and emotionally. Which is why I decided to leave an environment which was part of the problem. Because nobody who is super rich has gotten there without exploiting others one way or another or stepping on people. And for me that price is too high.

As I say nobody wants to be poor. I can see why people would chose to be comfortably off and never to have to worry about paying the bills, putting food on the table and ensuring your kids and loved ones are well looked after. What we are talking about here is being super rich /billionaire. And that obsession to me is really abhorent and disturbs me profoundly because it somehow assigns a value to money which I do not see.

Money is here to make life comfortable and easy. Nobody needs a rolex, a multimillion dollar mansion, a lamborghini, and stock options.
Those who do IMO are seriously lacking in other aspects of life and being blinded by the hype.

I like money. Most people do. But there has to be a balance between seeing money as a means of achieving a decent level of comfort and security and desiring an obscene amount. Poverty is obscene, and excessive wealth is too IMO. Both diminish you as a human being.

Money is a distraction from realising who you are if money is all you think about. There is more to life than being a millionaire/billionaire.
People may not NEED excessive wealth and all that stuff but if you get a once in a lifetime opportunity to be Vince McMahon rich, are you not going to take it? I'm not exactly obsessed with it, but if the opportunity presents itself, I ain't turning down nothing but my collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships