Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You hear about affairs all the time.

It's not anything new. Neighbors, co-workers, friends etc etc.

I personally would never cheat on a woman I was with. It's just not part of my moral compass, for some it may be religion that drives them, for me I believe I can have "morals and values" without actually attending a formal church, but that is best left for another thread.

I don't get why people have affairs, just on a pragmatic basis, you have to keep track of your lies, money receipts, come up with reasons for why you are gone, always on the lookout to not get caught.

The logistics alone are just a nightmare, let alone all of the moral reasons that I mentioned.

It's it the thrill of all the sneaking around, the excitment of a "new" person??

For me, it just doesn't add up.

I obviously don't want to hurt her or myself for that matter, cause I believe that things come around and you stain yourself, karma or whatever label you wanna put on it. The universe, "God", IDK, it has a way of evening things out. I believe this.

Thoughts???

If you've never done it, you really can't say that it's not "worth it."

People have affairs of different kinds for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,091,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

You make a very valid point.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
I agree with you Chow, what a pain in the *** that would be. But I also agree with Sixy, life isn't black and white and I try my best not to judge others, none of us ever truly know both sides of the story.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:

Again... I wasn't judging... I said for "me" it didn't add up... is what I believe the words I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
You make a very valid point.
You're kidding right??

I wonder if you might feel the same if you're hubby had one on on of his business trips.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:

You're kidding right??

I wonder if you might feel the same if you're hubby had one on on of his business trips.
Haven't you seen the movie, Same Time, Next Year?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Again... I wasn't judging... I said for "me" it didn't add up... is what I believe the words I used.

You're kidding right??

I didn't say you were judging anyone. You said you can't see that it would be worth it, but apparently that is not what people who have affairs think.

Something's worth is decided by those who are willing to pay for it.

Now, those who are "victimized" by spouses who have affairs would have a different opinion about whether it's worth it.

But the person having the affair must think it is.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
[quote=Wmsn4Life;26008586]I didn't say you were judging anyone. You said you can't see that it would be worth it, but apparently that is not what people who have affairs think.

Now, those who are "victimized" by spouses who have affairs would have a different opinion about whether it's worth it.

But the person having the affair must think it is.[/quote]

True... as people have affars........

Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,091,726 times
Quote:
You're kidding right??

Quote:
I didn't say you were judging anyone. You said you can't see that it would be worth it, but apparently that is not what people who have affairs think.

Thanks...I didn't want to have to type that out.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,106,504 times
I used to see affairs as black and white when I was younger. My father cheated on my mother with the town *****. She was my cheerleading coach, he was the football coach (this is peewee football; I was 9) and they literally cheated right in front of my brother and I. I saw them dancing together during a end-of-season party at a local pizza place and I teased my father that I was going to tell mom. Little did I realize that a few months later my father would be leaving my mom for this same woman. They later got married after she got a big settlement from a car accident. Pretty soon my father, who said he didn't want to be married anymore and rarely wanted to see my brother and I unless it was convenient, was living with an entirely new family. I didn't speak with him for more than ten years, and in my mind anyone who cheated was a horrible human being who didn't care about ruining lives.

But when I got older, I saw another side to the story. A lot of people, particularly those of my parents' age, got married because it was what was expected after high school/college. My parents weren't compatible at all. My father took the cowards' way out and hurt a lot of people, but I can see why some people choose that route. I have a friend whose brother cheated on his wife for years. His wife was a shrew whom he never should have married, and they stayed together for the kids. I don't agree with what he did but I can understand how he felt like he was between a rock and a hard place.

There's also a smaller percentage of people who cheat on impulse, but I think they truly love their spouse/significant other and truly are sorry. I agree that there is probably something lacking in the relationship. Perhaps the cheater just wanted to feel desirable again, or whatever. Personally I would never cheat on my SO, and he knows that cheating is a deal breaker for me, but I see now that it isn't always that simple and that some people have different things going on.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,838,157 times
Quote:

I do agree with this... To a degree. But it only means it was worth it in the present time, not necessarily after all is said and done. My ex felt on top of the world at the time he was cheating and getting away with it.

6 months later after my leaving him, he went from being a man that felt as if he had everything, to a man that is absolutely broken. He has desperately tried to regain my attention or find someone else like me...his words not mine to anyone who will listen. Classic case of not realizing what you got til it's gone. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener, it's greener where you water it. Hindsight can be 20/20..completely depends on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships