Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,924,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm an only child as well, being a male I did feel a certain need to reproduce to keep my family name going... but heck, it's a fairly common last name, so it won't die....

DON'T get married and have kids just because you feel pressure to do so.

Be your own man, stand up for what you believe, you don't want a wife and kids, don't do it, it will only backfire.

Live your own life... It's all you can do.
My folks have given me too much for me to be that selfish. I'll have to figure something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Guys who stay in shape, take care of themselves, and make over $100k can live the George Clooney lifestyle (just to a lesser extent). It's not that difficult unless one is just really lazy and/or dumb. Unlike women, a man's stock generally goes up as he gets older (up until about age 60), not down.

On top of that, guys who make a good living can just go to other countries like Brazil, Argentina, Cuba, and Colombia and enjoy the millions of women there. I know a few guys who go to Rio once every 3-4 months, have a blast, and usually end up sleeping with 4-5 hot women each trip. If that's not living the life, I don't know what is.

My husband is a very handsome, fifty something man - muscular, rugged chiseled features and a head full of gorgeous hair - and sparkling blue eyes. He has a confident, out going personality and a terrific smile. To top it all off - he makes GREAT money as an oil and gas consultant. Way more - WAY more - than your post implies is enough to "live like George Clooney."

I am not blind - I see how women respond to him - they immediately start twirling their hair, tilting their head to the side, leaning forward, flirting. I'm used to it. Yawn. Actually, I think it's sort of funny - and he seems completely oblivious to it.

I am fifty years old - in pretty good shape, energetic, outgoing, and very active. I keep myself up - by that I mean I dress well, keep my hair and skin looking young, and keep the things he loves in great shape - he likes me to be well groomed from the top of my head to the soles of my feet and so I don't let myself get sloppy or unkempt - unless we're working in the yard together, which we do often.

He travels a lot with his job. One really great thing he did last year was ask me if I wanted to quit working so I could travel more with him. In fact, he actually offered to match my salary if I stayed home, so we could spend more time together. WHAT A DEAL. Of course, I took him up on it!

We have a blast together. His work schedule allows him to be off at home for about two weeks out of every month. During that time, we are together nearly every minute, and never get tired of each other's company. We are together so much that frankly, I doubt that either of us could hide anything from the other - we leave our phones laying around, our laptops open and running, we answer each other's phones, open each other's mail if we want, we know each other's passwords, etc. We don't feel OBLIGATED to go everywhere with each other - we WANT to go everywhere with each other.

He has absolutely ZERO interest in the lifestyle you have described, though he could certainly have it if he wanted, especially in his line of business. In fact, women often very nearly THROW themselves at him - slip him notes at hotels, that sort of thing. He just laughs it off.

He also knows that if I wanted to - which I most certainly do not - I could easily have affairs while he is traveling with his job. He knows I simply don't want to.

In other words, we are very happy with each other and with our monogamous relationship. We've been together seven years by the way. Never a moment of distrust and never a reason to be unfaithful.

We trust each other completely.

I'm not bragging - just telling you this so that you will realize that there are many very successful, healthy and secure, satisfied monogamous men out there who would scoff at your idea of "living the life of George Clooney."

And many middle aged women who are very secure in their relationships with these men.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,097,044 times
Quote:
My folks have given me too much for me to be that selfish. I'll have to figure something out.
That's crazy. Why would your parents place those kinds of expectations on you? The only expectations I have for my kids are that they live happy, healthy lives and become productive members of society.

I'd never place an expectation on them to have kids or a spouse. If that's what they want out of life then great...if they'd rather focus on something else constructive then that's great too.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM

52,357 posts, read 52,821,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband is a very handsome, fifty something man - muscular, rugged chiseled features and a head full of gorgeous hair - and sparkling blue eyes. He has a confident, out going personality and a terrific smile. To top it all off - he makes GREAT money as an oil and gas consultant. Way more - WAY more - than your post implies is enough to "live like George Clooney."

I am not blind - I see how women respond to him - they immediately start twirling their hair, tilting their head to the side, leaning forward, flirting. I'm used to it. Yawn. Actually, I think it's sort of funny - and he seems completely oblivious to it.

I am fifty years old - in pretty good shape, energetic, outgoing, and very active. I keep myself up - by that I mean I dress well, keep my hair and skin looking young, and keep the things he loves in great shape - he likes me to be well groomed from the top of my head to the soles of my feet and so I don't let myself get sloppy or unkempt - unless we're working in the yard together, which we do often.

He travels a lot with his job. One really great thing he did last year was ask me if I wanted to quit working so I could travel more with him. In fact, he actually offered to match my salary if I stayed home, so we could spend more time together. WHAT A DEAL. Of course, I took him up on it!

We have a blast together. His work schedule allows him to be off at home for about two weeks out of every month. During that time, we are together nearly every minute, and never get tired of each other's company. We are together so much that frankly, I doubt that either of us could hide anything from the other - we leave our phones laying around, our laptops open and running, we answer each other's phones, open each other's mail if we want, we know each other's passwords, etc. We don't feel OBLIGATED to go everywhere with each other - we WANT to go everywhere with each other.

He has absolutely ZERO interest in the lifestyle you have described, though he could certainly have it if he wanted, especially in his line of business. In fact, women often very nearly THROW themselves at him - slip him notes at hotels, that sort of thing. He just laughs it off.

He also knows that if I wanted to - which I most certainly do not - I could easily have affairs while he is traveling with his job. He knows I simply don't want to.

In other words, we are very happy with each other and with our monogamous relationship. We've been together seven years by the way. Never a moment of distrust and never a reason to be unfaithful.

We trust each other completely.

I'm not bragging - just telling you this so that you will realize that there are many very successful, healthy and secure, satisfied monogamous men out there who would scoff at your idea of "living the life of George Clooney."

And many middle aged women who are very secure in their relationships with these men.
Your husband sound old school.

Has respect, dignity and honor.

Things like that seem to be as common as seeing the lochness monster these days.......

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Who wants to disappoint their parents??? I'm trying to take their wants and needs into consideration.
You DO NOT owe your parents grandchildren.

One of the clearest indicators of emotional maturity is firm but loving boundaries between parents and child.

If you are having trouble maintaining healthy boundaries with your parents, consider a few sessions with a therapist for developing strategies to overcome this.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,924,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You DO NOT owe your parents grandchildren.

One of the clearest indicators of emotional maturity is firm but loving boundaries between parents and child.

If you are having trouble maintaining healthy boundaries with your parents, consider a few sessions with a therapist for developing strategies to overcome this.
I don't feel that way.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I realize that, but I don't understand why. I mean, what guy realistically wants to be with the same aging woman for years and years? Is that fun? I get tired of chicks after like 9 months so I can't even imagine being with the same woman for like 15-20-25 years (especially if her looks are fading). Pure insanity. Have you taken a look at what the average 50+ year old married woman looks like? lol

Btw, I'm almost 30 so I'm not that young.
My husband and I met seven years ago. He was in his mid forties and I was in my early forties. Actually I'm five years younger than him, and he thought THAT was almost too young for him! He had dated all sorts of women of all ages, and determined that he likes women HIS AGE best. More in common - and he wanted COMPANIONSHIP and camaraderie - not just a warm body.

He and I have a very passionate, but also friendly - and humor-filled - relationship. In fact, we call each other "my boon companion." We are truly best friends - with benefits.

I won't bore you with a photo of me, but I am a fifty year old married woman - and I'm not chopped liver. Of course I don't look 25 - and never will again. But that's OK - I make the most of what I've got, and to top it all off, I am not in the least bit insecure or worried about maturing.

Self confidence is very sexy.

Oh, hell, what the heck - here's a photo of me and my beloved:

HARHARHARHAHRHAHRHAHRHARHHHAR! Good times, good times!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,703,755 times
Quote:
I don't feel that way.
Considering how strongly you feel about making money and banging hot chicks. Then you feel you owe your parents grandchildren? Get a grip. You really don't just because they decided to reproduce doesn't mean you have to. If you do so for your own selfish reasons then fair enough but for anyone else is unfair on yourself.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,620,760 times

Where are the childfree people when you need them.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Your husband sound old school.

Has respect, dignity and honor.

Things like that seem to be as common as seeing the lochness monster these days.......
My husband IS "old school." By that I mean what you seem to mean. He opens doors for me, takes providing for his family seriously, respects his mother and is gentle with all women, children, and pets, and would not hesitate to absolutely get medieval on anyone who threatened his home and family.

He is the quintessential Texas gentleman and I am absolutely crazy about him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships