Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

So as the title says I am nervous about starting to date again. I am 25 and live with my mother for financial reasons. I have a 4 year old child. The father is not in the picture so there is not 'baby daddy drama'. I have dated since me and my childs father broke up but it ended badly. So the last time I dated anyone was over 2 years ago. I miss the intimacy and I don't do ONS so I miss the sex too lol. I've been doing the online dating thing because I just don't know how to meet men. I've been talking to this guy and he seems really nice he is a few years older then me and has a career. I am still in college for another year and a half and work in retail. Also, is me living at home going to be a deal breaker? It hasn't come up so I haven't mentioned it. He doesn't care that I have a child. What would be a fun first meeting/date? I'd really like to meet him in person. We are both kind of dorky. Dinner or dinner and a movie is so cliche that I would want to do something fun. I want to see where this will go, but I'm nervous about not having dated a man in over 2 years and that my not having my own place will be a deal breaker. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
a man wont care if you live at home or not, at 25. Let him plan the date. good luck

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
a man wont care if you live at home or not, at 25. Let him plan the date. good luck
Agreed ^^^

Let him plan the date, but dont be upset if it is just Dinner or a Movie. I dont "experiment" on first dates. The cliche approach is usually the best way to go. He wants to get to know YOU and vice versa. So dinner allows time for you two to see if you are compatible without the potential of choosing something one of you hate. Everyone LOVES to eat!

Its risky doing something different on a first date is all I am saying.

At 25, plenty of people your age live at home. If you were male, had a kid, and lived at home. You may be doomed. But men are more likely to look past that stuff to be with a girl. Its a double standard for sure, but benefits you.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Do not fret about living at home. The only way it is going to be an issue is if you let it affect your own confidence and self image. I imagine your doing it for support with your child, and for financial reasons. Neither is a problem.

I am sure you will do fine out there dating! Just protect your heart and the heart of your child! Without a daddy, and at 4, your child may quickly latch onto men you may bring around. They won't at all understand if you break up, or if guys come and go. Protect your precious gift until you have developed a relationship with a guy you feel is a keeper. Oh, and if the dating leads to an LTR, be sure the "guy" is interested in your child as well. Without a daddy in the picture, his responsibility would become more fatherly. Not as big of a deal in initial dating, but if you are looking for long term commitment, it should be at the top of your list. You and your child are a package deal!

Best of luck, and have fun!!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 15,224 times
Assuming that you are in Lockport, is there any social functions that occur at the Lockport Nature Preserve? I know it may sound a little different but that would provide a different type of environment that enables you to have some quieter moments for ice-breaker questions and answers. What about other recreational business locations? Find something that you can do together and still take your child initially. That will set the tone that it is a package deal and it also provides you with the ability to leave if things don't fall into place like you expect. Be sure to also have any future partner tested and offer to reciprocate the idea to establish some basic ground rules before you find out too late that there might be an issue. Knowing that you probably shouldn't rush into any type of initimate relationship to quickly, planning for long term will also establish the fact that you want to validate integrity rather than to go into the situation with blinders. Until you are comfortable, always leave yourself an out!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
I am of the opinion that a single mother of a four year old has no time to date.

Stay home and look after your kid. He doesn't need a bunch of "uncles" showing up at the door.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,984 times
Thank you all so far for the responses. I'm not from Lockport but my area which is close to Lockport doesn't really have anything to offer as far as social functions. Of course I wouldn't be jumping into the intimate aspects of a relationship quickly and I would suggest for both of us to get tested before that would happen. To MsAnnThrope though, you are correct I do not have an abundance of free time but does that mean that I should be single until I can send my child off to college? Also the bunch of uncles comment I find offensive, as if I am looking to date multiple men and that I would be stupid enough to introduce them to my child right away. I am looking to date one man, and if we hit it off and start dating he wouldn't be meeting my child until I felt we were serious enough that the relationship may last a significant amount of time.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Please, we are here to help others. Report bad post rather than bicker back and forth.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 AM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonxstone View Post
So as the title says I am nervous about starting to date again. I am 25 and live with my mother for financial reasons. I have a 4 year old child. The father is not in the picture so there is not 'baby daddy drama'. I have dated since me and my childs father broke up but it ended badly. So the last time I dated anyone was over 2 years ago. I miss the intimacy and I don't do ONS so I miss the sex too lol. I've been doing the online dating thing because I just don't know how to meet men. I've been talking to this guy and he seems really nice he is a few years older then me and has a career. I am still in college for another year and a half and work in retail. Also, is me living at home going to be a deal breaker? It hasn't come up so I haven't mentioned it. He doesn't care that I have a child. What would be a fun first meeting/date? I'd really like to meet him in person. We are both kind of dorky. Dinner or dinner and a movie is so cliche that I would want to do something fun. I want to see where this will go, but I'm nervous about not having dated a man in over 2 years and that my not having my own place will be a deal breaker. Any suggestions?
As someone already said let him pick where to go or just discuss it.
Living at home for you is not a big deal. A totally different case if it was a guy living at home as that would be seen as a big negative.

There appears to be a lot of potential here. Just go out and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships