Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times

Advertisements

My boyfriends mom is in her 60's, sweet woman,
She is somewhat shy, but is a sweet lady,
She has been on a dating site, trying to meet a gentle man,
She had a date the other day with a gentle man who was around 70. We asked how her date went, she said it went good but the gentle man was not ready to move on. He talked about his late wife thru out the entire date,even showed her pictures of his late wife.
She understood and realized he was still grieving for her, they were married for about 40 years and she had passed away 2 years ago.
It must be hard to be in the dating scene being a elderly person, when all you've ever known was one person, loved just that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
i think the older you get the more difficult the dating scene. People just have more baggage as they get older.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
It must be hard to be in the dating scene being a elderly person, when all you've ever known was one person, loved just that person.
Agreed.

My grandma has lived a long life, and my grandpa passed on about 7 years ago. She's in her late 70s.

She met a man at the local elks club. I think they are keeping things casual and are mostly "friends". They both like to drink and watch nascar. She is def. not the stereotypical nascar fan, but she does like her drinks so I think that's how they connected

Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
I think when you get to that age you have to understand that the person you meet will have most likely lost a loved one they had been with for a good number of years. That might be the situation you are in also. I think the connection could be respecting the past relationship and knowing that that person already had the love of his/her life. The purpose of your relationship with this person would be for companionship and empathy.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
She understood and realized he was still grieving for her, they were married for about 40 years and she had passed away 2 years ago.
Yeah, it must be hard… On the one hand, these people had good marriages, so they’re not jaded and afraid of commitment and they know how to make a new relationship work. On the other hand, though, competing with ghosts is not fun, particularly since many people tend to idolize the deceased even if they weren’t such angels alive.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Quote:
My boyfriends mom is in her 60's, sweet woman,
She is somewhat shy, but is a sweet lady,
She has been on a dating site, trying to meet a gentle man,
She had a date the other day with a gentle man who was around 70. We asked how her date went, she said it went good but the gentle man was not ready to move on. He talked about his late wife thru out the entire date,even showed her pictures of his late wife.
... I guess.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,183 times
My BF's mother is 82yo and still trying to meet "that someone special". The one that she really liked happened to have dementia so it didn't work. So I agree that dating as a senior must be really hard.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
My BF's mother is 82yo and still trying to meet "that someone special".
What the heck for...?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
If I am not in a relationship at the time I reach 65 or 70, I doubt I'd be looking for anything to complicate my life further.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If I am not in a relationship at the time I reach 65 or 70, I doubt I'd be looking for anything to complicate my life further.
I don't plan to make it that far, but on the rare chance that I do, no way! Yeah, what for...?! To cook for him and wash his stinky socks?! If I've gone that far without companionship, I'm sure I can make a few more years. I suppose it might be different for those who have always had companionship, but I'm not spoiled this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships