Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

I am friends with a group of about 12 women, all age 50-51. We all went to college together and although we are scattered around the country, we do get together in various groupings quite often and we communicate a lot. 10 out of the 12 of us are divorced, and I am the only one of that group of 10 who has not remarried or gotten into a new committed relationship.

I have to admit the the Hs and BFs among this group are generally nice enough and treat my friends well... but...yeeesh! I can't imagine wanting to date any one of them, much less marry them. It seems like most of them are either functioning alcoholics, freeloaders or old geezers, and my friends often complain about the asshatted things they have to put up with.

Now what is the common denominator here? Is this all that is available to college educated professional women over 40? My experiences in the dating world seem to bear this out.

I have to admit that I would prefer dying alone and being eaten by my cats than compromise my standards just to have "someone."

Is there hope for me, or should I just try to make sure my cats know where I keep the extra Purina... in case of emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have to admit that I would prefer dying alone and being eaten by my cats than compromise my standards just to have "someone."

Is there hope for me, or should I just try to make sure my cats know where I keep the extra Purina... in case of emergency?
Good post.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Can't really fault the guys. Yes?
Methinks you're probably only getting half the story.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Can't really fault the guys. Yes?
Methinks you're probably only getting half the story.
No doubt. I certainly wouldn't want to live with most of my women friends either!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
I am friends with a group of about 12 women, all age 50-51. We all went to college together and although we are scattered around the country, we do get together in various groupings quite often and we communicate a lot. 10 out of the 12 of us are divorced, and I am the only one of that group of 10 who has not remarried or gotten into a new committed relationship.

I have to admit the the Hs and BFs among this group are generally nice enough and treat my friends well... but...yeeesh! I can't imagine wanting to date any one of them, much less marry them. It seems like most of them are either functioning alcoholics, freeloaders or old geezers, and my friends often complain about the asshatted things they have to put up with.

Now what is the common denominator here? Is this all that is available to college educated professional women over 40? My experiences in the dating world seem to bear this out.

LOL, I think there is definitely hope for you.

Women who attract, and find attractive, guys with those kind of issues have issues themselves.

Not saying they are "bad" women or even "crazy" - just that (again) water seeks its own level.

Keep you level deep and you'll attract men of the same depth

Honestly I know a lot of people on their second marriages in your age group and I'm not seeing the kind of stuff you described.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:

If I was 50 and still single, I would just move to Thailand or something and marry a young pretty Thai girl. I'd much rather have that than an old entitled American lady.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,094,503 times
I have the same take with respect to the couples I know that are on the second time around. I usually expect a lot of burping and farting going out of them, even if they don't. It's all a compromise, you can be alone or you can put up with someone who will irratate you unitil you or he dies. The women are not really great catches either

Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Could your friends be venting about the negatives, without extoling as much on the positives?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Could your friends be venting about the negatives, without extoling as much on the positives?
Like someone to cuddle with on occasion. Do people still have sex at that age?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
I tell you what, I gotta get married and divorced, then remarried to experience this.

That being said, I' not a major drinker, nor freeloader now, and I sure as hell won't be either one of those 10 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships