Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM

548 posts, read 891,101 times

Advertisements

Its' been 1 year since my breakup with my ex boyfriend of 3 years and 9 months and to this day I still think of him on and off esp. when a new guy I find to my liking enters the conversation it makes me think of my ex boyfriend and all of the good times we had etc.

And then I get scared of talking to the new guy because if we do meet what if he stands me up or it doesn't work out or I freak out and run away hahaha I really am nervous about meeting this new guy let alone talking to him.

I really don't want to get hurt again. Also a lot of TV shows and movies I've been watching showcases those people's ex's re-entering their lives so I thought mine would too but he's moved away and has a new girlfriend who has a kid of her own and there all madly in love etc.

Ugh I'm just so confused I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
It's common. I don't think there's much you can really do except wait. I don't really know what to say, I had this issue too.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Your life is not a movie or tv show.

I know you are thinking deep down that you might reunite or reconnect.

Do not count on it.

I find with break-ups that they happen because something better on the,way.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Put all that crap aside and get back into the dating pool. Learn to not get emotionally attached to someone so fast as you did before and just date to have fun. You can't keep dwelling on your past boyfriend in fear that you'll get rejected again. Rejection is a good thing. It saves you a lot more pain.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your life is not a movie or tv show.

I know you are thinking deep down that you might reunite or reconnect.

Do not count on it.

I find with break-ups that they happen because something better on the,way.
I agree with this poster. Life does not always end well, Despite wishes and a positive attitude. Good guys Lose, Things breakdown and love does not always conquer all. It can be depressing, And very-anxiety filled when a relationship that was close for years ends-Be it love, Family or friendship, And much courage and drive to achieve what we want in life. We can become conditioned after a loss or losses to believe that anything good will happen. I call it "The empty road" because having been through this type of situation before it feels like staring down a lonely road under dark skies with nothing on the horizon.

Life is short, And accepting that sometimes, Things or people are gone and forging ahead to make a life that is worthwhile is worth it. We are all here for a limited time. Enjoy time with your friends, family and doing things you love. Learn new skills and hobbies. Strap a jet pack on yourself and roar forward. Life stands still for no one. If you feel you can't find happiness, Start with the absence of misery or strife-And take it from there. Good luck OP.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Bravo!

Forget about what you lost and focus on the good to come.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Life is not a movie. An ex is an ex for a reason. Take some time, recenter yourself and then, and maybe then start dating again.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM

548 posts, read 891,101 times
Thanks I'm just going to focus on moving forward as best as I can.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
I said jokingly on another of these threads that you can't move on if you spend your time sitting around posting threads about this guy. It kind of wasn't a joke.

You are not just thinking about him "on and off" if you are repeatedly starting threads about him a year later. You seem very sad and it's worrying after so long at your age.

Your grief seems to be somewhat excessive because it is affecting your present life in tangible ways. I really think you need more than just a forum. Try and get some grief counselling somewhere.

There is a whole other life just waiting for you after this guy. He hasn't looked back...nor should you.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
Its' been 1 year since my breakup with my ex boyfriend of 3 years and 9 months and to this day I still think of him on and off esp. when a new guy I find to my liking enters the conversation it makes me think of my ex boyfriend and all of the good times we had etc.

And then I get scared of talking to the new guy because if we do meet what if he stands me up or it doesn't work out or I freak out and run away hahaha I really am nervous about meeting this new guy let alone talking to him.

I really don't want to get hurt again. Also a lot of TV shows and movies I've been watching showcases those people's ex's re-entering their lives so I thought mine would too but he's moved away and has a new girlfriend who has a kid of her own and there all madly in love etc.

Ugh I'm just so confused I don't know what to do.
While it may sound simple on the surface, it's all you can do.

Move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships