Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
How long does it take then?
How long does it take what? To realize he wants to marry you? As another poster said, it could be months, or it could be years. I think a cutoff (for me, since I'm a guy) would be 2-3 years. If he hasn't put a ring on it then, it's time to start thinking about your long term future with him. Unless he's in law school or grad school and that's delaying things, OK, but after a couple of years, if he doesn't know by then, he ain't gonna marry you.

I've got a friend who dated this girl for 6 years, broke it off. I'm sure it wasn't a waste of time, I'm sure it was a learning experience but if I were a female, we're dating 5 years and we're not at least engaged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
Have you guys talked about marriage? I'm divorced but it was pretty clear after only about a year or so that my ex and I were going to get married. We planned for the future, he said things like "when we get married" or "when we have our own house." I think women overanalyze men too much (myself included) and it's pointless because like a lot of guys here have told you, men pretty much mean exactly what they say. There's no hiddden meaning, no codes to crack. If you want to get married and your boyfriend is buying a house without consulting you then I don't think that's a very good sign. And you already know it's a really terrible idea to help your boyfriend buy a house that's not yours. I'm almost 29 and I'd like to get married and have kids. If I didn't think a guy had marriage on his mind after a year or so I'd probably move on.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
How long does it take what? To realize he wants to marry you? As another poster said, it could be months, or it could be years. think a cutoff (for me, since I'm a guy) would be 2-3 years.If he hasn't put a ring on it then, it's time to start thinking about your long term future with him. Unless he's in law school or grad school and that's delaying things, OK, but after a couple of years, if he doesn't know by then, he ain't gonna marry you.
I understand that everyone has a different timeframe when it comes to deciding that they want to get married. My longest relationship was a little over a year and I did not see it leading towards marriage. Unless I was very happy in the relationship, I think I would break it off if an engagement hadn't occurred by the two year mark, but I would prefer it to occur within one year.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I understand that everyone has a different timeframe when it comes to deciding that they want to get married. My longest relationship was a little over a year and I did not see it leading towards marriage. Unless I was very happy in the relationship, I think I would break it off if an engagement hadn't occurred by the two year mark, but I would prefer it to occur within one year.
Pretty sure with my current GF, I have an idea on where it's going to go, and we have talked about a future together and we're both open minded, i.e. not scaring each other off with the talk.

Just to add though, y'all have to remember it's the guy that has to propose, and it's the guy who has set side almost 3 months worth of salary to get an engagement ring. It's not easy, it takes time, almost as if you kinda have to plan it out a year in advance so you can set aside $.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Just to add though, y'all have to remember it's the guy that has to propose, and it's the guy who has set side almost 3 months worth of salary to get an engagement ring. It's not easy, it takes time, almost as if you kinda have to plan it out a year in advance so you can set aside $.
Everyone's financial situation is different, but I don't want a very expensive ring ($3000 or less will do), so I don't think it should take that long to come up with the money.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I agree. I know many who have lived together for 4,5, and even 10 years and the guy never proposes.
Never a good situation....especially for a female.
Why? I would be OK just living together and it wouldn't be a bad situation for me.

Quote:
Pretty sure with my current GF, I have an idea on where it's going to go, and we have talked about a future together and we're both open minded, i.e. not scaring each other off with the talk.

Only if you follow rules. Marriage doesn't have to be frightening or break the bank. I had a 500$ engagement ring (I picked it) even though he made 6 figures. Do what feels right to you, not what's expected.

OP - I think you can figure it out before he asks. Every case is different though. I've never had an engaged friend who didn't know it was coming...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
There are different needs and expectations depending on ages of people, and life stages. In my 20's and 30's, I would have expected something about marriage or long term commitment after a year of committed dating. Otherwise, move on. At my age, over 50, I could care less about marriage. I am done with that whole baby child stuff. But, if a man can't plan a future with you, time to move on.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 20,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Have you guys talked about marriage? I'm divorced but it was pretty clear after only about a year or so that my ex and I were going to get married. We planned for the future, he said things like "when we get married" or "when we have our own house." I think women overanalyze men too much (myself included) and it's pointless because like a lot of guys here have told you, men pretty much mean exactly what they say. There's no hiddden meaning, no codes to crack. If you want to get married and your boyfriend is buying a house without consulting you then I don't think that's a very good sign. And you already know it's a really terrible idea to help your boyfriend buy a house that's not yours. I'm almost 29 and I'd like to get married and have kids. If I didn't think a guy had marriage on his mind after a year or so I'd probably move on.
He actually asked me a year ago, but I said no that we needed to take the relationship slower. Now, its like he really isn't asking the question but seems like he may be leading to it again.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgrl5040 View Post
He actually asked me a year ago, but I said no that we needed to take the relationship slower. Now, its like he really isn't asking the question but seems like he may be leading to it again.
Interesting. Might be a topic for another thread, but I'm surprised he is still with you after you turned him down.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgrl5040 View Post
Wow. You should have revealed this info at the beginning. I too am shocked that this guy is still with you. I would have been done with you after you turned my marriage question down the first time. Still cannot believe he stayed. Good luck with that.

Last edited by usamathman; 10-19-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships