Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times

Advertisements

I dunno, I've seen some pretty ugly couples with some pretty cute kids. I have also, strangely, seen some great-looking couples with some rather, er, below-average looking offspring. So everyone is rolling the dice when it comes to the attractive/unattractive kids sweepstakes. I don't think it's a reason to avoid having children.
That being said, crappy personalities transcend all physical issues. If a person is self-loathing and lame then it stands to reason that their kids might be the same. It might be a good idea for said people to avoid procreating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,114,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yea.

You're right...

She is right. I think it's your downer attitude that's blocking you more than your appearance. Not everyone in this world can be beautiful or handsome. There are people all over the spectrum and I've seen plenty of people who aren't considered attractive by normal standards find love with someone who adores them.

Life might be easier in a lot of ways if you're attractive and I know that rejection after rejection can get you down, but I think you have to be the best version of yourself you can be. When you are fun to be around and you have a positive attitude people will want to be around you and the better your personality the less your looks matter. I've met lots of handsome guys I wouldn't date because they think the world owes them a favor just for gracing it with their presence. They're vain and condescending, and they treat women like dirt because they know there will always be another one around who will put up with it. Yuck.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Cute kids come from parents with compatible features. There are lots of attractive people that produce not so cute kids and vice versa. You don't have to look far in Hollywood for examples.

There are lots of people out there that think I am unattractive. I come from a family of unusually confident people, so I just decide to disagree with them.

Be the best "you" you can be. And write off anyone who doesn't accept that.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
compatible features.
Damn, I'm starting to feel like an inbred! My parents came from the same small village overseas.

I have one parent with dark brown/green/pale skin and another parent with dark brown/blue/slightly olive skin. We kids look like 50:50 blends of our parents. When I lived in ATL, the lady next door had us over for iced tea when my folks came to town, and she met my Dad first and said "you look just like your Dad," and then met my Mom later that day, and said "you look like both of them."

Old 10-29-2012, 04:22 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yeah I'm a hideous looking guy, but if I had a shot at having kids with someone I loved I'd do it. What has happened to me is not destined to happen to my child.

And yes, it's 100% true that if you are not an attractive person on the outside, men and women won't give a damn about what you look like on the inside.
Totally disagree. One of my friends could be your twin brother and all of the women I know give him the thumbs up!. He's has a little less weight, but not much. His high point is he has a quick smile and a likeable personality.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,010,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Totally disagree. One of my friends could be your twin brother and all of the women I know give him the thumbs up!. He's has a little less weight, but not much. His high point is he has a quick smile and a likeable personality.
Glad an almost twin is getting some action. I get laughed at and cold shouldered.

Alternate universe.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,183,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
She is right. I think it's your downer attitude that's blocking you more than your appearance. Not everyone in this world can be beautiful or handsome. There are people all over the spectrum and I've seen plenty of people who aren't considered attractive by normal standards find love with someone who adores them.

Life might be easier in a lot of ways if you're attractive and I know that rejection after rejection can get you down, but I think you have to be the best version of yourself you can be. When you are fun to be around and you have a positive attitude people will want to be around you and the better your personality the less your looks matter. I've met lots of handsome guys I wouldn't date because they think the world owes them a favor just for gracing it with their presence. They're vain and condescending, and they treat women like dirt because they know there will always be another one around who will put up with it. Yuck.
Do you really know? Do you really understand how rejection after rejection can get somebody down? Do you really have any idea what it's like? A handful of rejections, people can usually bounce back from with relative ease. Years of rejection, loneliness, and sexual frustration can be devastating to one's self esteem and send us into a deep depression.

The lack of compassion for the OP is disheartening. I guess i just feel sympathetic since i am dealing with similar issues. This whole "bounce back and have a positive attitude" thing is not particularly helpful, and it seems as though you are minimizing and trivializing the feelings of rejection. The OP may benefit from seeing a therapist, as i have been doing when my finances allow me.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Do you really know? Do you really understand how rejection after rejection can get somebody down? Do you really have any idea what it's like? A handful of rejections, people can usually bounce back from with relative ease. Years of rejection, loneliness, and sexual frustration can be devastating to one's self esteem and send us into a deep depression.

The lack of compassion for the OP is disheartening. I guess i just feel sympathetic since i am dealing with similar issues. This whole "bounce back and have a positive attitude" thing is not particularly helpful, and it seems as though you are minimizing and trivializing the feelings of rejection. The OP may benefit from seeing a therapist, as i have been doing when my finances allow me.
Trust me. I've had some rather spectacular depressions take me down. Months, even years, where I've wandered in a gray haze. I have a lot of compassion for the OP, but he's not really taking any action that I've seen, unless I've missed some posts. Not making any changes. Not going to therapy. Not taking meds.

So either he's made the decision to let the waters close over his head or he still wants to alter the current course he's on. Which is it? When will he decide?

"Bounce back and have a positive attitude" is useless advice in and of itself, but the OP knows what changes he could make, and he's not really bothering yet.

The thing about depression is that the first step is the hardest. It gets easier after that. He's got to make the first step. And I'm not going to soft-peddle it.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,922 times
Maybe you should consider traveling to Asia. If you are in an environment where the majority of the men look like you, chances are the women will date men that look like you. Given the population levels on that continent, Asian men seem to be doing just fine in that department. Being short won't be an issue for you in Asia. Its a continent full of short men. Being Asian won't be an issue for you in Asia. It's a continent full of Asians. I am pretty sure that Asians in Asia do NOT refer to themselves as being of an undesirable race. Ever. This low self-esteem you have seems to be from you comparing yourself to men of other groups. Asian men in predominately White countries seem to have very low self-esteem, when it comes to attracting women. They are confident in every other area of life, except this one. This is what I notice. I think you should put yourself in a majority Asian country, so that your self-image can improve. You will be in an environment where the majority of women will see Asian men as desirable. Asian men are desired in Asia. Its just that simple.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,205,009 times
Lmao at this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships