Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
THIS is how you meet quality people, Kid! Keep doing the right thing, and a quality person will come your way.

btw, why are you so fixated on marriage at such an early age? You're only a sophomore or junior in college, with plans for grad school. Dating isn't working out for you anyway, so why not put that on a back burner, as you focus on your studies? With top grades, you could get a scholarship to grad school. Someone else posted here that grad school is where you meet your future spouse. I think there's something to that.

And yes, quality people who share some of our interests and have the qualities we're looking for in friends and partners are not a dime-a-dozen. When you do find any, you hang onto them for life, because they're rare. I, too, tend to have friends scattered around the US and the world. Close friends where I live, not so much. That's just the way it's worked out. You're not alone in that regard.
Couldn't agree more about much of what Ruth has written. HKid, you do seem like a terrific person, I have faith when the time is right, you'll be snatch up. Focus on those studies, if a scholarship does come your way even better, but participating in humanistic activities is a pretty good gateway to meeting quality people regardless of their academia. So wish you and others that have a sincere desire for substance to find what you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Thing is, is most people don't care about your needs. Even family sometimes. That's just how life works. People =****, it's a song, and it's pretty accurate.
There are some though.

I have a few friends who asked how I was doing and I asked the same.

It seems like a natural thing... caring about your friends.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 PM

11,386 posts, read 9,304,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's really hard to find good people agreed.

It is so hard for me to find loyal, quality friends who are good peeps. I have maybe three. And two are women!

For a relationship, I need that, plus she has to be attracted to me.

Yikes!
Bolded: So true. It's very, very difficult. I haven't made a new friend in 22 years. It gets harder when you get older, at least it is for me.

That really bums me out. The answer to the topic's question is no, they are not. Shared interests is too important to ignore.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Cynical but true. Most people just don't care.
I'm not saying the fact that nobody cares is a good thing, but why should they care? Other people don't owe you anything anymore than you owe something to others. Sometimes, my parents will make it sound as if I'm obligated to assist others and it really annoys me b/c it's not true and I know that, when I need assistance, I must rely on myself. Generally speaking, I'm a friendly enough person and will assist others (with things like job search, etc.) even if I don't know them that well, but it's certainly not out of a sense of obligation.

It's easy to say people are useless, don't care, etc. but times are very difficult these days and people have their own problems and concerns. Your problems are big to you but meaningless to others. If you keep in mind that nobody owes you anything and don't rely on others, then you're less likely to be surprised and or frustrated in your interactions with other people.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times
I have a ton of friends and find making new friends extremely easy. I came away with 6 different phone numbers (5 women and one gay man) when I went out for Halloween on Wednesday and 3 of them have texted me asking what I'm doing this weekend.

Now, romantic interests? That's much, much more difficult for me. I do believe there are a lot of good, quality single people out there, but from my experience they tend to stay at home or only interact with a few close friends.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,743,311 times
It also seems that it takes a while more to find someone worth loving.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,902 times
I think there are plenty of good quality single folks. The problem is getting them to actually like you -_-

Old 11-03-2012, 05:42 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,239,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think there are plenty of good quality single folks. The problem is getting them to actually like you -_-
You get them to like you by presenting yourself in an interesting manner. Then ask for their number so you can better get to know each other.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You get them to like you by presenting yourself in an interesting manner. Then ask for their number so you can better get to know each other.
If it were that easy, half of these threads wouldn't exist.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships