Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM

349 posts, read 459,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I met a guy who seems to be interested in a relationship. During our conversation, he started laying down some groundrules and one of them was that if I see him out with other women I can't get "angry" or question him about it. I asked if he is proposing an open relationship & he said no. He explained that he has lady friends and he doesn't want to be with a girl who is the jealous type. Is this a red flag? Do you think this guy may be a potential cheater or jerk? I really like him and I finally found someone who wants to be in a committed relationship with me and I don't want to mess up
The fact that he is laying down the law so early in the relationship is a big red flag to me. It's ok if he has female friends just like it's ok for you to have male friends, and there shouldn't be any jealousy involved. Why can't you "question" him or talk to him about his female friends? What's the big deal? It seems like he wants this to be off-limits. Whenever two people are in a relationship, its only natural to want to know about each other's friends/acquaintances (male or female) and even hangout.
What other ground rules has he given you? I sense that he may have 'control' issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I would quickly dispose of anyone who tried to impose ground rules on me as a condition for a relationship. It creates an atmosphere of inequality. A relationship isn't boot camp.
True story. "Laying down ground rules" is more of a red flag than that other stuff.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
I met a guy who seems to be interested in a relationship. During our conversation, he started laying down some groundrules and one of them was that if I see him out with other women I can't get "angry" or question him about it. I asked if he is proposing an open relationship & he said no. He explained that he has lady friends and he doesn't want to be with a girl who is the jealous type. Is this a red flag? Do you think this guy may be a potential cheater or jerk? I really like him and I finally found someone who wants to be in a committed relationship with me and I don't want to mess up
Both of you are too uptight and need to relax.

He's uptight to even bring that up and you're uptight for having to post it on a random internet forum.

Tell him to just be cool....and you do the same.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it is odd that he'd bring it up like that. Tell him you hope he won't go ballistic if he sees you hanging out with your guy friends. The groundrules are that he can't even question you about it. Let us know what he says.

And btw, something tells me that if this dateship doesn't work out, it won't be due to you messing up....
^ This. Unless you are the POTUS, or such status, you don't ever approach me with a list of dating rules or be prepared for mine and a house note, car note and so on. WTH! Sorry just seems like a strange thing if it comes out of nowhere.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've got the butter.
at first glance I thought you said, "ive got bread and butter" and I thought, what the hell?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Huge red flag. Run away from him. Ground rules my a$$$. Ground rules are something to be discussed by a couple. That guy sounds like a control freak and pot. Abusive.

Jmo of course

Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I say walk away quickly. You barey know tha man and he is "laying" down rules. You don't need this...Look for someone better.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
I was in an abusive marriage for 8 years and can tell you, my ex did not bring the "rules" until later( when i was already vested)... So yeah stay away from this man. Huge red flag

Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
if I see him out with other women I can't get "angry" or question him about it. I asked if he is proposing an open relationship & he said no. He explained that he has lady friends and he doesn't want to be with a girl who is the jealous type.
This makes it sound like you can't get angry or question him if you happen to run into him with another woman not that he has female friends he's being upfront with you about-telling you ahead of time he's having dinner with an old college buddy who's passing through town, for example. Something isn't sitting right here. If you can't ask about them, they probably aren't actually friends but other women he's dating.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
What did he say when you told him that if he sees you out with other men that he can't get angry or question you about it?

Because that's what you fired back with, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships