Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am reminded of another lie of feminism: you can have it all! No you cant. You cant be a senior VP road warrior and be an active mom at the same time. It doesnt work that way, make a choice, or be mediocre at both! And by the way, being a SAHM is a valid choice! This is coming from a career woman, by the way.
I always thought you were a man. Do you have any daughters?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
I am a woman and I cant stand feminism. Modern day feminism is.nothing more than a power grab against.white males. It concerns itself with white women who are middle income and higher, no one else. Low income women working as a cashier at Walmart? Who cares. Feminists only look up the ladder, never extend a hand downward.
Furthermore they sell the.idea that dating for men and women is exactly the same, when it clearly isnt. They are.the ones behind the.whole Promiscuity = Empowerment thing.

Thumbs down to feminism.
To say that feminism only concerns itself with white women is to ignore women like Angela Davis, Cherrie Moraga, (as much as I can't stand her) bell hooks, Audre Lorde, and Nina Simone - to name a few. Those women most certainly are pioneers in the feminism movement, as well as civil rights, and they certainly aren't white.

As for as the "promiscuity = empowerment" myth, it's been misconstrued from sex positivism. Which is to say that women are regaining autonomy over their sexuality.

Of course, it's easy to be reductionist, and I wouldn't really expect much from someone who thinks that feminists are only white and middle class women.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I believe in the old school feminist ideal that women should be treated equally as men and respect the first feminists who fought for that.
Some of the old school ones are still edgy and brittle, even after accomplishing wage and opportunity equality. One of my college friends had an aunt who was sort of a financial manager for a company, and her car had the license plate frame "The Best Man for the Job ... is a Woman." She has since died. I never bothered to evaluate that, then. I understand her overall style now, and that plate frame, with more real world experience.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
I am reminded of another lie of feminism: you can have it all! No you cant. You cant be a senior VP road warrior and be an active mom at the same time. It doesnt work that way, make a choice, or be mediocre at both! And by the way, being a SAHM is a valid choice! This is coming from a career woman, by the way.
Meh.
I have it all.
Home with my son most days and immensely successful at work.

The difference?
I didn't try to do it all at the same time.
I set myself up, busted ass, took risks, made the right investments,and now I work 140 hours a month and have my boy the rest of the time. This week, for example, he will be awake 8 hours that I won't be there.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
I just don't see why I would want to be around someone who is always telling me i am wrong. The feminists I have met and talked to tend to be very one-sided. They do not even want to consider that a woman could ever be wrong or a man could ever be right about anything. There are a handful of cool feminists who are rational and open-minded, but in my experience this is the minority.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Judging by the last two posts, I'd say many people hate feminists because of lies and misconceptions.

I'm a feminist and I love men, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call them out on their BS. There are different grades of feminism and not every one of us is a man-hater only looking to get ahead. Do those exist? Absolutely. Are they the majority? No, they're just the most vocal.
Agreed. I'm a feminist and discordance is simply not an aspect of it for me. I don't know any men off line who aren't feminists. I think some people may use the term as a catch all excuse in an attempt to reconcile whatever issues they have. As far as dating and relationships go, it's pretty easy. Traditionalists should date traditionalists and feminists date other feminists. The drama is unnecessary.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
You guys do know that male feminists exist, yes?

The feminist movement has always been made up of a very strong population of men, as well as women. Why this is ignored, I do not know.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Why are you calling anyone out on anything? Whatever happened to live and let live? Why cant you just.keep it.moving when someone disagrees with you? You have.posted about your body issues - do you want to be called out over.your size, or do you want people to.keep it moving when they dont like what they see?
Because if I hear a man tell me that women don't belong on the shop floor or that women shouldn't be allowed to fly a plane I WILL call him out. I guess I should just twirl my hair and giggle and get a job as a secretary so I don't hurt the wittle boys feelings.

I don't see what my body shape or size has to do with this conversation though. What I look like has nothing to do with feminism.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
I think a discussion like this belongs in Great Debates or some such, or maybe Psychology, it won't do very well here. It has to do with Relationships, technically speaking, but discussing it also involves history, sociology, and biology.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
I am a woman and I cant stand feminism. Modern day feminism is.nothing more than a power grab against.white males. It concerns itself with white women who are middle income and higher, no one else. Low income women working as a cashier at Walmart? Who cares. Feminists only look up the ladder, never extend a hand downward.
Furthermore they sell the.idea that dating for men and women is exactly the same, when it clearly isnt. They are.the ones behind the.whole Promiscuity = Empowerment thing.

Thumbs down to feminism.

What does feminism have to do with race or economic class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships