Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Even if what you say is true, would you not agree that many women themselves enable such nonsense? You can't just blame men for the materialistic, superficial society in which we live in. Men are judged too, namely on the size of their wallets.

Stop making it about gender.
It is almost institutionalized unfortunately. And everyone has a responsibility to stop this disparity in how women are judged on their looks and perceived attractiveness.

I know many men like to say that they are unfairly judged by the content of their wallets, but I have yet to hear of a case where a man was rejected for a job because he was too poor.

But there are dozens of cases where women have either not been hired or fired for not being pretty enough or wearing makeup or keeping up their appearances.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Quote:
What harm does a wolf-whistle or the odd inappropriate comment do?.
Ahem.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
But I don't see women as objects and I suspect, neither do most men. Women are people, so are men. It just so happens that women are the people I'm attracted to, but that doesn't make women any lesser. I don't see how women are respect less, at least in America.

Wolf-whistles and inappropriate comments are objectifying, demeaning, and can feel threatening (be aware of the physical power differential involved. ALWAYS be aware of the power differential).

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Stop making it about gender.
The topic is about feminism. You can start a thread about men being judged by their wallets, though (not that we haven't seen that topic before....)

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is almost institutionalized unfortunately. And everyone has a responsibility to stop this disparity in how women are judged on their looks and perceived attractiveness.

I know many men like to say that they are unfairly judged by the content of their wallets, but I have yet to hear of a case where a man was rejected for a job because he was too poor.

But there are dozens of cases where women have either not been hired or fired for not being pretty enough or wearing makeup or keeping up their appearances.
So men don't get rejected for not meeting certain discriminatory criteria? You are quite wrong there, but feel free to continue feeling persecuted.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
feminists are great. they have their cards on the table.
love people that show u their cards up front.
would i date one u bet. would and do. in fact for the most part i only date feminists.
as long as u got it all up front there is an avalanche of opportunity to build a great relationship.
btw have a great thanksgiving

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
So men don't get rejected for not meeting certain discriminatory criteria? You are quite wrong there, but feel free to continue feeling persecuted.
That's another thread. This one is about women. And we are hardly even talking about the intersection of race and gender.

We've got a lot of work to do from all angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Wolf-whistles and inappropriate comments are objectifying, demeaning, and can feel threatening (be aware of the physical power differential involved. ALWAYS be aware of the power differential).
So the question is, what do you want to do about it? Charge men with criminal offenses for making inappropriate comments? I find that bizarre at best (and I'm being as nice as possible).

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Not nearly as bad as women. I was on a hiring team at my last job and couldn't believe how ruthless the men were towards the female applicants. I NEVER saw that with the male applicants.

I was told flat out that I was denied a promotion because it 'wouldn't look good to have a woman telling men what's wrong with their vehicles'.

This stuff happens. Often.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's another thread. This one is about women. And we are hardly even talking about the intersection of race and gender.

We've got a lot of work to do from all angles.
No, it was a valid point. Either address it or admit that you were actually wrong (no shame in that). Many people face discrimination and unfairness, not just women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships