Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It's okay for women to express their opinion, but not okay for men? I can come across a number of misandric blogs.

I'm sure you do, but you don't see me posting them here with the men objecting to the rhetoric and then shaming them for speaking up about it.

Quote:
There's a major difference when the two genders express their opinions. When women do it, they get sympathy. When men do it, they'll told to get over it.
Ah, I don't think so. See above.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I think that the term feminism has been sorta skewed over the yrs.... by men and women... I think both sides have lost sight of the true meaning of the feminist movement, which sorta mirrors the civil rights movements.....

I don't know how someone could be offended by the "true" definition of what feminism is about, I think for a lot of guys the term has come to mean "man-hatin-ball-bustin-b*tches"

I think for some women, they hide their hatred of men behind a wall of "feminism".. it goes both ways, is all I'm trying to say......

It doesn't mean that.

I think it needs another examination.....

define feminism - Bing DICTIONARY

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I can come across a number of misandric blogs.
Women on C-D don't post or link that type of blog. Those blogs don't represent how C-D women think.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women on C-D don't post or link that type of blog. Those blogs don't represent how C-D women think.
Indeed. If a woman posted a blog like that about American men I would shame her. That does not fly with the women on this forum.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think that the term feminism has been sorta skewed over the yrs.... by men and women... I think both sides have lost sight of the true meaning of the feminist movement, which sorta mirrors the civil rights movements.....

I don't know how someone could be offended by the "true" definition of what feminism is about, I think for a lot of guys the term has come to mean "man-hatin-ball-bustin-b*tches"

I think for some women, they hide their hatred of men behind a wall of "feminism".. it goes both ways, is all I'm trying to say......

It doesn't mean that.

I think it needs another examination.....

define feminism - Bing DICTIONARY
That is the textbook definition. However, it doesn't put bounds around the personality types that go with procuring those rights. Nor should it. However, how far does it go? And at what point are there diminishing returns? I wonder how many influential women CEOs once used that word to identify themselves. Instead, they differentiated and identified themselves with calling cards most feminists, and anyone else for that matter, could NOT obtain, such as Harvard MBA or Stanford MBA. And I don't agree that, if you pursue such a route, it automatically makes you a feminist. It just means that's how someone chooses to channel their God-given gifts. Heck, an elementary school teacher could be a feminist and a woman in Harvard's Business School might not be. The latter could be an apolitical number-crunching nerd who could pull spreadsheets out of her ass.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

But why has it come to mean that? If that exists at all, it's a tiny fringe. Why paint something that parallels the civil rights movement with an extremist brush?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Kinda reminds ya of them uppity Negras, doesn't it? Let's turn the clock all the way back, WAY back, to when all them upstarts knew who was boss! Yes, sir, those were the days, when the women and darkies knew who to bow and scrape to!

Yassah, mastah Ascenscion, I'ze jes' gwine to git a glass o' watah, suh. Izzat ok by you, suh?
That popped into my head, too. Wouldn't want the wimmin gittin' all uppity, would we? Wimmins best be knowin' their place!

Oy.

People are going to rant as they wish. All hail the Internet, for it gives the smallest minds the loudest voice.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
But why has it come to mean that? If that exists at all, it's a tiny fringe. Why paint something that parallels the civil rights movement with an extremist brush?
I wasn't personally painting the term that way.. I just think as I posted, it got skewed, for whatever reason, by some... which I should have posted.

All it takes is for people to apply their personal baggage to any subject and it can become skewed, it's a fact of human nature how people can screw up understanding of a subject by their personal bias, pain or misunderstanding....

This is around you everywhere on every subject on the planet.

One time I took a psychology class and one of experiments on human communication was a simple demonstration in class.

The professor had everyone sit in a circle, instructed the class to repeat what was whispered in their ear to the next person.

Well, you can imagine how f up that turned out at going through 35 plus people's heads.

It ended up that the last person repeated back to the class what was said and it was nothing that the instructor whispered into the first students ear.

Text book defined of what I mean by being "skewed"

Personal bias, baggage and education or lack of........

Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That is the textbook definition. However, it doesn't put bounds around the personality types that go with procuring those rights. Nor should it. However, how far does it go? And at what point are there diminishing returns? I wonder how many influential women CEOs once used that word to identify themselves. Instead, they differentiated and identified themselves with calling cards most feminists, and anyone else for that matter, could NOT obtain, such as Harvard MBA or Stanford MBA. And I don't agree that, if you pursue such a route, it automatically makes you a feminist. It just means that's how someone chooses to channel their God-given gifts. Heck, an elementary school teacher could be a feminist and a woman in Harvard's Business School might not be. The latter could be an apolitical number-crunching nerd who could pull spreadsheets out of her ass.
I don't see how exercising rights (obtaining an Ivy eduction, followed up with a career) and not believing in those rights makes any sense. It's not rational.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
6 Famous Women Who Say They're Not Feminists: The Conversation: Inspired: glamour.com

I particularly liked these:

"I am a great supporter of women, but I have never really thought of myself as a feminist, probably more of a humanist because I feel like that's really where we need to be." - Demi Moore

"Because I think it would isolate me. I think it’s important to do positive stuff. It’s more important to be asking than complaining." - Bjork

"I'm not a feminist — I hail men, I love men. I celebrate American male culture and beer and bars and muscle cars." - Lady Gaga (her music sucks, but outside of that, she lobbies for a lot of great causes)

"I don't think of myself as a feminist at all. As soon as we start labeling and categorizing ourselves and others, that's going to shut down the world" - Melissa Leo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships