Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,703,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I can't say I agree with this. My mother got farther than any of her family career-wise (retired USAF and a solid career working in the government) and she was a good no-nonsense mother. Of course she did not have a choice being a divorced mother but still.
Being divorced = not a good example. You are backing me up, actually.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,864,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Being divorced = not a good example. You are backing me up, actually.
Your post didn't say a thing about being a wife. She can't help that my dad was a drunk and a deadbeat at times. I know plenty of women who have good careers, raised good kids, and are good wives at the same time.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
It actually has a lot to do with race and economic class, especially historically. A lot of women of color did (and to some extent still do) felt that they should have a separate movement because a lot of their concerns weren't being addressed. The very visible and vocal movement, even the current fourth wave, is very white. But, in terms of race relations, it is making great strides to be more inclusive.

Economic class comes into play when you talk about things like fair wages, education, childcare, healthcare, etc. Lower and poverty classes are why organizations like Planned Parenthood are important - because they provide resources that these people would not otherwise have ready access to.

So, I will give her that those are very valid points to bring up; however, it's reductionist to say that feminism only benefits the privileged.
I disagree.with your conclusion, but gave you a +1 because of the general content. Hopefully you are white.so that.people will consider what you say. If you are black, feminists.will marginalize.you for this.opinion.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
Maybe a certain militant breed of feminists has hi-jacked the word. I am sure the majority of feminists, even those who don't know it, are reasonable people (both women AND men) who just want equality for men, want their rights respected.etc. Not all want EVERYTHING to be equal...Then there are those who try to find areas where women are still disadvantaged, or constantly try to side with the female sex as if it was boys vs girls back in primary school again.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Your post didn't say a thing about being a wife. She can't help that my dad was a drunk and a deadbeat at times.
I made a poor choice of a husband too. As a feminist I wasnt supposed to care about such things as the.ability to support me, since I could support myself. It didnt work out for me.

Yes, marriage counts in this discussion.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,139,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know a man offline who is not a feminist beyond my father (who claims to be, but I'm not sure).
Same here. Well, except that my father very much is not a feminist.

I also make it a point to not get involved with any man who isn't a feminist.

Quote:
You are far better versed in feminism than I. Thanks for the informative, intelligent post.
You're quite welcome. It helps that I went to a women's college.

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
But wasnt your husband gay? How is that having it all?
???????

Wtf are you talking about?
You must be thinking of someone else.

Btw, many of my partners are women...married to straight men...enjoying having it all.

11,864 posts, read 17,042,072 times
Feminism gets a bad name because the kooky extremists are always at the forefront. Rarely do you hear from moderates who simply want to live their lives as the choose.

Smart people know the difference. Railing against it just shows ignorance.

I am not a feminist, BTW.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,139,197 times
Quote:
I disagree.with your conclusion, but gave you a +1 because of the general content. Hopefully you are white.so that.people will consider what you say. If you are black, feminists.will marginalize.you for this.opinion.
I am very much not white, but thanks for the +1.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
???????

Wtf are you talking about?
You must be thinking of someone else.

Btw, many of my partners are women...married to straight men...enjoying having it all.
I apologize, could have sworn that was you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships