Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

I am an asexual guy who realized his asexuality not long ago, and now I am in a kind of heated debate with other asexuals so I wanted to check what would your opinion be...

The community is much more complex that the usual straight or LBGT communities: some of us are still romantic and would pursue relationships with others, just that there is no sexual attraction, some of us (and I am in here) would not be romantic either.

Now there is a group of people who claim themselves to be asexuals yet say something like

-I would like to have sex with some friend with benefits
-I am still interested in sex
-I enjoy sex

The heated debate comes when some asexuals like me, possible like some of you sexuals right now reading this, doubt and possibly deny they are asexual if they are looking forward for sex.

I know I am not interested in sex, and I want no relationships, no sex with anyone- woman, man, friend with benefits, potential partner... NO ONE.

Please give your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Be happy. I think you're nukkin' futs but, in general, if people are happy with the decisions and what they say, let them have there place.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Do you ever pull your goalie? I seriously am curious.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I know I am not interested in sex, and I want no relationships, no sex with anyone- woman, man, friend with benefits, potential partner... NO ONE.

Please give your opinions.
Were you ever interested in it? As in, was it always this way or is this a more recent development?

I believe asexuals exist. I don't think they're common. I also believe people become less needy of sex, relationships, and others as time goes by, which sounds kind of asexual, but I don't think fits the textbook definition.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Asexuality is actually something that I am newly learning about. I have an asexual friend who has been in a relationship for something like seven years, and she's been educating me about it as she learns. She does have sex, but she said that it's not that enjoyable. She also informed me that there are numerous types of asexuals.

Basically, there's an entire subculture that is huge. The overview is that there are asexuals who carry on relationships, but have (almost) nonexistant sex drives; there are asexuals who lack interest in relationships and sex; there are asexuals who occasionally desire sex, but lack interest in relationships. And so on.

Interesting stuff.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I don't get it. I can't fathom someone not enjoying good sex and not needing/wanting it on an hourly basis

Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Were you ever interested in it? As in, was it always this way or is this a more recent development?

I believe asexuals exist. I don't think they're common. I also believe people become less needy of sex, relationships, and others as time goes by, which sounds kind of asexual, but I don't think fits the textbook definition.
I have never been interested in having sex with anyone. I am heteroplatonic though. I wanted a girlfriend before but for the sake of hanging together and having romantic moments, like walking by hands etc. but I developed aromanticism as I failed in my attempts an I am now an aromantic asexual.

Yet not all asexual are aromantic and my disagreement with some of them is that they kind of want to introduce sex to their "looking for relationships" and for me that is just plain sexual, I don't understand why they want to be considered asexuals if they have an intent for sex. They claim they feel no attraction to it but that they feel curious. It is contradicting. i feel no curiosity for sex. At 29 how can I be curious about it I mam not that young anymore.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Asexuality is actually something that I am newly learning about. I have an asexual friend who has been in a relationship for something like seven years, and she's been educating me about it as she learns. She does have sex, but she said that it's not that enjoyable. She also informed me that there are numerous types of asexuals.

Basically, there's an entire subculture that is huge. The overview is that there are asexuals who carry on relationships, but have (almost) nonexistant sex drives; there are asexuals who lack interest in relationships and sex; there are asexuals who occasionally desire sex, but lack interest in relationships. And so on.

Interesting stuff.
That is my concern this "occasionally desire sex". If it is a fetish or masturbation it may be understandable in terms of releasing a sexual tension but desiring sex with someone for me does not qualify as asexual, because I can't see how can I be asexual and want sex with someone.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
That is my concern this "occasionally desire sex". If it is a fetish or masturbation it may be understandable in terms of releasing a sexual tension but desiring sex with someone for me does not qualify as asexual, because I can't see how can I be asexual and want sex with someone.
I think it's a matter of whether sex is enjoyable once it is being had, yes? It's not atypical for a person to desire sex, but it is atypical for a person to desire sex and then not enjoy it. I think that's the key component.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
I have never been interested in having sex with anyone. I am heteroplatonic though. I wanted a girlfriend before but for the sake of hanging together and having romantic moments, like walking by hands etc. but I developed aromanticism as I failed in my attempts an I am now an aromantic asexual.

Yet not all asexual are aromantic and my disagreement with some of them is that they kind of want to introduce sex to their "looking for relationships" and for me that is just plain sexual, I don't understand why they want to be considered asexuals if they have an intent for sex. They claim they feel no attraction to it but that they feel curious. It is contradicting. i feel no curiosity for sex. At 29 how can I be curious about it I mam not that young anymore.
I've met one person that I can recall who is asexual, in terms of not being interested in sex or relationships. There's apparently many women who don't enjoy sex, but that is something that is openly discussed among women I meet on a regular basis. Furthermore, those women are interested in relationships.

The guy I know is 35 and has never had a GF as far as I know. He has never expressed any interest in women (or men) in terms of having sex or relationship or even being attracted to them. It is really kind of weird. I know other men who are wildly unsuccessful with women, including another who probably has never even kissed a woman at age 35, but they have always mentioned at the very least being interested or attracted.

He's very quiet and antisocial, like one of those guys who works, has no friends, and barely talks, so he might just be completely bottling it up inside. I know for somebody who is at least semi-social it's very difficult to get by without at least admitting you are attracted to something.

He's a great curiosity to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships