Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I guess we're doing it wrong then the women I'm dating we talk once in the morning on her way to work we might text though out the day then we talk for a hour or so before we both go to bed. Some times we talk for a couple of hours, then again we are eight hours away. I don't like texting either so impersonal hard to gauge what the other is feeling at times.
Don't you remember bro, she texted you that your long distance relationship was over ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Then distance yourself from anyone that is so vapid as to think this. If anyone doesn't like texting in a dating relationship, then don't text. Problem solved.

I know plenty of people who never text or do so in emergencies only. These people phone the other person. Texting is impersonal and many people who do it have little (or nothing) to say, they are simply addicted to the process of texting. Re-read your texts and you'll see what I mean.

People want to have "great relationships" or a "fantastic marriage." Worthy goals, both. But relationships require conversations and face to face time. Texting is utterly extraneous from a marriage.
So judgmental. Don't project your values onto others. All the same things could be said about phone calls relative to face to face time.

I find it ironic that those here who are most opposed to texting in a dating relationship seem to have the hardest time finding a happy relationship.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
I think he's married.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So judgmental. Don't project your values onto others. All the same things could be said about phone calls relative to face to face time.

I find it ironic that those here who are most opposed to texting in a dating relationship seem to have the hardest time finding a happy relationship.
No one is projecting their values onto others. We're having a conversation and everyone is stating their preference and reason why.

Again, I don't mind texting even with guys I'm dating, but picking up the phone sometimes is appreciated. Maybe I would be less annoyed with texting if the texts were actually interesting or asking me to get together. They are just pointless how was your day texts that go nowhere.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I refuse to text anyone.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM

206 posts, read 269,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
No one is projecting their values onto others. We're having a conversation and everyone is stating their preference and reason why.

Again, I don't mind texting even with guys I'm dating, but picking up the phone sometimes is appreciated. Maybe I would be less annoyed with texting if the texts were actually interesting or asking me to get together. They are just pointless how was your day texts that go nowhere.
What's he going to say on the phone then? Seems like you've taken the fact that he doesn't care and turned it into whining about texts.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Don't you remember bro, she texted you that your long distance relationship was over ...

Not that of a LDR but yeah she did you should read the update.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:

IMO, the best way to obtain closure is to respond to this person's next text with a generic message letting him know that you do not think he is the best fit for you and you do not wish to continue your relationship with him. If he asks for more details, you can provide them (he is still getting his act together, doesn't seem committed, etc.) as you see fit but I wouldn't recommend just blowing him off completely before you let him know you are choosing not to continue the relationship.

If he continues to text you after you make this known, you can ignore him or change your number if needbe (it won't get to this point).

Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needanamethatisnttaken View Post
What's he going to say on the phone then? Seems like you've taken the fact that he doesn't care and turned it into whining about texts.
I'm not whining about texts. I raised a question asking for other people's opinions about texting. Isn't that the point of the board?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Yes they are. The person I quoted made statements about what *other* people think and insulted them. He said people who use texting this way are "vapid" and that they don't really have anything to say but are "simply addicted to the process of texting".

I don't have any problem with someone stating their opinions why they think something is good or bad. I do have a problem with someone who throws insults and insinuations at others who feel differently. For some reason, people who prefer phone conversations feel entitled to attack and insult people who prefer texting with an absolute conviction that their way is the right way. You never see people who prefer texting starting threads to rant about people who prefer to call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships