Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm not being judgmental or insulting to people who like texting. I don't know why some people are so sensitive. I love texting and I think it's really convenient sometimes, but when it comes to dating I feel like it speaks volumes about someone's interest level in you when they pick up the phone and call. What did people do 20 years ago? They had no other option but to pick up the phone.
Not every response is directed to you. Plenty here have been insulting, branding texters as lazy or lacking social skills or thoughtless or playing the field and so on. You probably wouldn't appreciate constantly hearing that callers are scatterbrains or illiterates or fast talkers.

People are different and have different preferences. Some prefer to talk and some prefer to text. Some would rather receive calls and some want to get texts. To assess someone's interest level based on whether they text or call seems silly to me. What's more important is what they say to you not the medium in which they say it. What if a guy texts everyone? Does that mean their interest level in everyone is low?

What did people do 120 years ago? They had no option to pick up the phone. Times change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM

245 posts, read 386,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
But we don't live 20 years, we live in 2012/2013. Whether you like it or not texting is a accepted form of communication(especially among young people). Hell Walgreens text me when my prescription are ready, my bank text me my balance information. It just the way it is. It's the same way email replaced physical mail.

I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread has a problem with texting all together. (correct me if I'm wrong) The complaint that some have, is the complete substituting of texting for actual phone conversation. When both people are clearly available to talk on the phone and the topic of conversation requires some back and forth, I find it odd, impersonal and dull to text.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,045,675 times
I have a texting story.

A guy I've hung out with once texted me last night to see if I wanted to hang out this week. He then proceeded to tell me that he had been through my hometown on the weekend and sent me a laundry list of complaints about what he observed and disliked about it. It really pissed me off. Not only do I have hometown pride - I mean, I spent 25 years there - why the hell are you complaining to me about things like the city layout and the landscape? That can't be helped. And it's a strange thing to complain about via text, especially to someone you've met once. I mean, I know the city has faults and what not but couldn't that be an in-person discussion topic? I'm not sure if I should write him off just yet but it definitely soured me on the whole thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,159,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread has a problem with texting all together. (correct me if I'm wrong) The complaint that some have, is the complete substituting of texting for actual phone conversation. When both people are clearly available to talk on the phone and the topic of conversation requires some back and forth, I find it odd, impersonal and dull to text.
Because you have people like who hate talking on the phone. I'm not a teenager anymore. When I was in middle school, high school I loved talking on the phone. Calling girls, calling people on three way. I have better things to do with my time now, talking on the phone is a bore now. Like I said earlier if somebody really wants to talk to me, they can come over, or we can go grab lunch, or hit up happy our and have some drinks. But talking on the phone just for meaningless talking, I'll pass.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
I do agree with this, and not just in a dating context. If it takes more than two texts to convey the information, it's just easier to pick up the phone.

For example:
Them: We still on for tonight?
Me: Yep, what do you want to do?
Them: I don't know, what do you want to do? Movie?
At this point I will call the other person, because it's tedious to have a back and forth conversation by text that can be knocked out in a 2 minute phone call. Has nothing to do with loving or hating to talk on the phone.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM

245 posts, read 386,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Because you have people like who hate talking on the phone. I'm not a teenager anymore. When I was in middle school, high school I loved talking on the phone. Calling girls, calling people on three way. I have better things to do with my time now, talking on the phone is a bore now. Like I said earlier if somebody really wants to talk to me, they can come over, or we can go grab lunch, or hit up happy our and have some drinks. But talking on the phone just for meaningless talking, I'll pass.
Grown ups have grown up conversations on the phone, not high school conversations. I wasn't implying that phone call were hour long gossip fests or to talk about what I bought at the mall.

I usually just talk on the phone a short time and with some purpose. It's a time saver, given that you can get some back and forth communication done all at once. If I want to get off of the phone, I say so.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,119,496 times
Quote:
Grown ups have grown up conversations on the phone, not high school conversations. I wasn't implying that phone call were hour long gossip fests or to talk about what I bought at the mall.

I usually just talk on the phone a short time and with some purpose. It's a time saver, given that you can get some back and forth communication done all at once. If I want to get off of the phone, I say so.
This. I set up a second date with someone over the phone last night. It lasted maybe 5 minutes, we each say hey how are you, exchanged minor chit chat about the weekend, and made a place and time for our date tonight. Then we said okay great, see you tomorrow. Conversations don't need to last hours and then we had a plan and I could go about my business not going back and forth via a texting conversation.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,956,113 times
The thing that I dislike (read: hate) about texting is how someone, in the beginning stages of a relationship, assumes a familiarity with me and asks personal questions they would not ask in person. Just because you have my digits, does not mean we are best friends.

I have no problem kicking people, who show disrespect like that, back into line.
Attached Thumbnails
I hate texting in dating sometimes!-unbelievable.jpg  

Last edited by Pikake; 12-10-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,062,254 times
Texting is soooo mainstream. I only communicate by Morse code and smoke signals. You people are so lame.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,563,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't call people when I date. I talk in person or text. I don't have any social problems, nor do I have a fear of talking on the phone.

Has nothing to do with being a man, having no fear or social skills. Some people simply hate talking on the phone.

I'm betting your still single. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships