Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,770 times

Advertisements

I feel horrible writing this..

I met someone from a dating website recently - she has a very attractive face, is highly intelligent (pursuing PhD), has a great sense of humor, and has many of the check marks I value in a relationship.

The only "negative" is she's "bigger" than what I usually date.

I like to jog and exercise, and I generally eat pretty healthy. Diabetes runs in my family, and seeing amputations first hand in relatives due to poor circulation/working in the health field - I don't want that for me, or the person I'm in a relationship with.

At this point we're just dating, but if we have a relationship together - I really don't want to gain weight. I also don't want her to gain weight. I'd love for her to slim down, and would want to be there for her, since I like many other things about her.

So is it fair to begin a relationship under that circumstance?

For the "bigger" people here - how would you feel if someone began a relationship with you, with that as the intention?

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 12-11-2012 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Chances are this will always be on your mind and you won't get over it. Kind of happened to me before, she wasn't fat.. but maybe a little bit below my standards.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Make healthy living attractive and desired. Do some outdoor activities with her. Go for walks.
And praise every effort she will make.
I bet she will start to shed pounds.
If she is attractive, intelligent and you really like her a lot, then everything you do to keep this working will pay back.
Good luck!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,099 times
A frequent all night sex marathon, will shed her pounds too.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
You shouldn't enter into a relationship with the thought in mind that you're going to change someone, particuarly when it comes to their body shape. You should probably leave this one alone.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Some good points on this thread.

OP - did you bring up physical activities to her? She sounds like a great catch to me!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Make healthy living attractive and desired. Do some outdoor activities with her. Go for walks.
And praise every effort she will make.
I bet she will start to shed pounds.
If she is attractive, intelligent and you really like her a lot, then everything you do to keep this working will pay back.
Good luck!
I think this is a great approach. Lead by example.

And as you get to know her, she'll give you clues about how she feels about potentially losing weight. If she wants to lose, then offer to help. If she claims to be happy with her size, then you can move on.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
If she's pursuing a PhD, well, one of my big weight gains occurred while I was working on my undergrad thesis. I dropped the weight shortly after that. Stress makes me fat.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be in a relationship with a fat chick. Why not ask her to go to the gym with you sometime?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I feel horrible writing this..

I met someone from a dating website recently - she has a very attractive face, is highly intelligent (pursuing PhD), has a great sense of humor, and has many of the check marks I value in a relationship.

The only "negative" is she's "bigger" than what I usually date.

I like to jog and exercise, and I generally eat pretty healthy. Diabetes runs in my family, and seeing amputations first hand in relatives due to poor circulation/working in the health field - I don't want that for me, or the person I'm in a relationship with.

At this point we're just dating, but if we have a relationship together - I really don't want to gain weight. I also don't want her to gain weight. I'd love for her to slim down, and would want to be there for her, since I like many other things about her.

So is it fair to begin a relationship under that circumstance?

For the "bigger" people here - how would you feel if someone began a relationship with you, with that as the intention?
I think I'd rather advise her than you. If I could speak to her, here is what I would say:

"This man says you are pretty, intelligent, have a great sense of humor, plus lots of other qualities he greatly admires. However, he is seriously thinking of discounting all that because of your weight. Even if he decides to take a chance with you, he is likely to put a lot of pressure on you to slim down, starting from day one. He'll justifying his weight fixation by explaining his family history of diabetes. I don't think he means any harm. He is probably a good guy at heart. But frankly, I think you can do better."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships