Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,005,416 times

Advertisements

Women don't care if a guy plays video games, it's normal. But when someone is obsessed with video games and actually considers it a hobby.... well that's a little weird for anyone who isn't in their teens anymore.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,238,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Women don't care if a guy plays video games, it's normal. But when someone is obsessed with video games and actually considers it a hobby.... well that's a little weird for anyone who isn't in their teens anymore.
Would you believe this isn't about women? It's about rewarding myself after all the work I've put in.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 AM

4,246 posts, read 4,501,208 times
The irony I find reading this list (which is quite humorous and has some valid points - in that he's addressing 'current' times) is that for thousands of years this whole list was not an issue (whether one likes it or not). This is only a fairly recent phenomena in the modern world. Yea, there's been always the socio economic cultural barrier (i.e. women were told to 'marry up'. The whole concept of what a relationship is based upon (whether social standing , similar values of parenting, similar cultures etc...) have been turned upside down with freedom to find a mate of the opposite sex in a vastly unconstrained pool of candidates (internet dating, foreign countries, immigration etc...).

Now looking at this all in a total different perspective, disregarding your personal viewpoint on how much 'you're getting', how much fun the hunting expeditions can be, where the next conquest or next possible mate will be found, what do you think was more socially, stable?

I've often thought the randomness in today's fast paced world coupled with unlimited, in many cases - candidates make it worse to find an appropriate long term mate as the key issue beyond mutual physical attraction is TIME shared and values shared. Simply put, too much ruminating over introspective considerations, and lots of superficial touches rather than just getting out and about living a life away from some predetermined, pre scheduled, station to station often rote mimicization of the barrage of socialized conditioning crap pouring into minds (young and old) via various media.

This comment is an attempt to 'zoom out' on the perspective, to put the issue in a new light for ALL the complainers of both sexes. You have more opportunity than at any time in history to 'pick' whom you would like to associate with of the opposite sex - besides being really low on the emotional intelligence IQ, there's not much in way of excuses barring demography constraints.

Although, I do concede a certain element of luck in timing of when paths cross to enable a mutual spark. For some 'engines' need a lot of overhaul (baggage carriers) before they can get warmed up and running again. Some just stall for long periods of time and are on the shoulder of the highway of life.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,005,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Would you believe this isn't about women? It's about rewarding myself after all the work I've put in.
And your point is.............................

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my post.

I say it again, if someone plays video games; it is completely normal. If someone actually considers video games their hobby, and a major part of their life, it is weird.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,590,768 times
First off, many of those points are things people should work on for themselves. Being mentally weak, or being a quitter are ill qualities period. We all should be working on those things for ourselves, not to get a date. The idea that one should work on those things to get a mate is superficial to the core.

The second thing is people just need to be themselves. Screw all these stupid rules. Work on yourself and be yourself. Accept what comes of it. Choose from your options and make the best of it. That doesn't mean you will always get the "hottest" women. At 36 years old I see what some of the "hot" women I wanted in my 20's have become. I'm speaking to their mental and emotional state more so than their appearance. Often times a woman is doing you a favor by rejecting you. Take it for it is and move on.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,603,501 times
90% of that long list in the OP can be reduced down to one single reason: insecurity.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,682,661 times
What does techno music have to do with getting hot women?

Go to any trance concert and you will be blown away by the women there

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM

78 posts, read 136,423 times
I've seen this list before. Agree with some of it, but the end contains some bullsh1t for sure.

Who gives a fck if someone doesn't know who Alicia Keys is.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM

78 posts, read 136,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
First off, many of those points are things people should work on for themselves. Being mentally weak, or being a quitter are ill qualities period. We all should be working on those things for ourselves, not to get a date. The idea that one should work on those things to get a mate is superficial to the core.

The second thing is people just need to be themselves. Screw all these stupid rules. Work on yourself and be yourself. Accept what comes of it. Choose from your options and make the best of it. That doesn't mean you will always get the "hottest" women. At 36 years old I see what some of the "hot" women I wanted in my 20's have become. I'm speaking to their mental and emotional state more so than their appearance. Often times a woman is doing you a favor by rejecting you. Take it for it is and move on.
Good post. People need to develop confidence, mental strength and a high self esteem, male or female, but you should NEVER change yourself to suit other people's tastes. That's weak. If you listen to techno and have strange pets, be proud of it. I have far more respect for someone who is considered weird but says "this is how I am, like it or lump it" than someone who changes who they are to fit in and gain society's approval. Never seek validation from others.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,139,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The one that I agree with most is 16. What is it with guys today that are absolute tool chests. You know who you are if you do one or more of the following; play video games, (not sports games but sh*t like World of Warcraft and Halo), for more than an hour a day, you buy World of Warcraft strategy guides, a meal to you is a Hot Pocket or some other microwaved ready in seconds food, you listen to a type of music that's so wierd it doesn't even have a genre, (like rock, rap, r&b, metal, country), you listen to techno music and you actually buy it, you have exotic pets like dragons and iguanas, you collect star wars merchandise, your dvd collection consists of mostly star wars, star trek and other movies that involve aliens, you still wear stone washed and black tight fitting jeans, (they fit tight around your ass and show your ankles), you still dress-up for halloween, the ornaments on your christmas tree are mostly star wars, (believe it or not I saw them for sale when I was out shopping), you still sport a mullet, you get tattoos that no one other than you knows what the hell they are, (probably because they're sci-fi related), you don't care about what you drive as long as the stereo will play your techno music, when you do talk to a girl and she says I really like that new song by Alicia Keys you ask; "who's that," if you're out at a bar you think girls will start talking to you if you play George Michael on the jukebox, most of your check goes to video games, dvds, and microwave food, but nothing goes into a 401K

Just thought I'd be nice this Christmas season and help you guys out that are always complaing about girls not talking to you
The bold describes myself. I am female and not "cool". At least not by whatever standards you and whoever wrote this list would consider to be "cool" or whatever synonym you choose to use.

Funny though, my male friends are quite similar to myself - we make off-color jokes, listen to a lot of subgenres of music, play video games, read/buy comic books, love Star Wars/Trek, make our own Halloween costumes every year - and yet the majority of them are in solid, long-term relationships/married. I, myself, have never had too much issue with getting a date.

Why do these things make someone a "tool chest," as you put it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships