Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,338,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
he presents it like a classic internet tough guy (which I totally despise.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I still want to whoop his a&^ after I read that. I love the content but he is just begging for an a&@-whipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,166,886 times
Irony.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Yep!! The article even mentions that many guys who will overlook the content of something because they don't like the tone...and it's evidenced numerous times right in this thread!
Yeah, and I don't like Anthony Robbins' tone, either. He is obnoxious. What does that imply? And some guy (Robbins) who lost weight and underwent a makeover, who some can easily accomplish, living in some piece of crap apartment in Venice CA, from what I recall in one interview I happened to catch pieces of, is now qualified even to speak to students at Harvard Business School! It implies that such a schlock shouldn't be made rich by a bunch of gullible people. Motivational speakers produce little else than royalties for themselves. It comes from within. The adjustments one can make are minimal; hence, the adage "Be yourself." An oral surgeon who extracts wisdom teeth because he or she knows their craft generally doesn't employ them. However, the MBA, even from an Ivy, who wants to go the marketing route does. That's because they need more to add to their "smoke and mirrors" repertoire.

If your courtship skills hinge on "smoke and mirrors," then it's time to turn it in. If you look like PeeWee Herman, and per chance are a normal guy, you won't be getting far in the world of romance. Let me toss a movie example into this. I certainly didn't go see this. It came to my screen on a 10 hour flight, following "Man on a Ledge," which was great -- the movie I refer to is "Crazy Stupid Love" where Steve Carell, recently divorced and slightly geeky, is being made-over by Ryan Gosling, who decides to take him under his wing. The reality is that there was a "market" for the Steve Carell character in the movie and he didn't need to reinvent himself to the extreme that Ryan Gosling was pushing him.

No list, no motivational speaker, and no advice columnist will change someone. The desire has to come from within, and from accurate self-assessment.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,226,455 times
Bottom line: the guys that get what he means are the ones that get girls.

I find it funny that the guys that are disputing it the most are the ones that always come on here whining and complaining. Based on their responses, they're look at his advice very superficially and don't seem to have an understanding of what he's actually saying. Very interesting.

As far as his tone, I think that's the perfect way to write this article. He's envoking emotions and it's an interesting read (it easily could have been boring). I found it humorous and spot on.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post

I find it funny that the guys that are disputing it the most are the ones that always come on here whining and complaining. Based on their responses, they're look at his advice very superficially and don't seem to have an understanding of what he's actually saying. Very interesting.
Why don't you spell it out for us?

I don't mean that in a pissy way BTW CJ. Like, what do you think the primary message is?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Bottom line: the guys that get what he means are the ones that get girls.
How many do you need? Not to be argumentative, but you show a Central California location. The infamous Scott Peterson, graduate of Cal Poly and resident of Modesto until incarcerated, could get girls, too. He had Amber Frey who, if you like that "look," might be considered attractive, "on the hook" for quite a while.

The stuff in the article is innately common sense. I operate in the realm of reality. Even if one absorbs all the material and does both a mental and a physical makeover, it is unlikely that, speaking of men, they will turn into "chick magnets."

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM

37,713 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
How many do you need? Not to be argumentative, but you show a Central California location. The infamous Scott Peterson, graduate of Cal Poly and resident of Modesto until incarcerated, could get girls, too. He had Amber Frey who, if you like that "look," might be considered attractive, "on the hook" for quite a while.

The stuff in the article is innately common sense. I operate in the realm of reality. Even if one absorbs all the material and does both a mental and a physical makeover, it is unlikely that, speaking of men, they will turn into "chick magnets."
The intent of the article has nothing to do with becoming a "chick magnet". It's addressed to those that whine incessantly that

1) I'm a nice guy - why don't girls talk to me? Waaaaaaaaaa.
2) I have a good heart! Why don't girls see that?? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
3) I am honest and hard working! Why don't girls like that? Waaaaaaaaaaa.
4) I am decent looking! Why aren't girls jumping my bones?? Waaaaaaaaaaaaa.

And so on, and so on.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,166,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The intent of the article has nothing to do with becoming a "chick magnet". It's addressed to those that whine incessantly that

And so on, and so on.
The thing is, people like that won't process or understand the article anyway. So what is the point? It's preaching to the converted. The people it wants to reach won't listen, and the people who do take away it's cardinal points already know them as common says, as Robert sense. So in the end, it's really just a bit of cracked ranting/angry humor, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why don't you spell it out for us?

I don't mean that in a pissy way BTW CJ. Like, what do you think the primary message is?
The two main points I got from this:

1) Go after what you want and stop making excuses (Did you not notice his constant referencing to "closing"? All guys that get girls close in every situation....or make their best efforts to.)

2) Value exchange. You WANT something from the woman and she WANTS something from you. What do you have to offer that other guys don't? Why should she like you?

These 2 points are key....and they seem to be completely ignored by many of the guys on this forum in favor of "that guy is good looking" or "that guy is rich."

Even those 2 concepts have to do with value exchange to a certain degree. If you want to get better with women, you really need to make an effort into understanding the underlying principles of human psychology and attraction. Then ACT on that new-found knowledge.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

And so on, and so on.

Yes and please stop whining. Nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships