Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

20,461 posts, read 14,794,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
I am really happy to be middle aged now. It seems that when you are older, people are more accepting of your shortcomings. Confidence comes more easily as you don't give a cr@p as much as you did when you were younger. Then you reach the age when you realize that, in the end, nothing is as important as everyone is making it out to be. 100 years from now it won't matter whether you were a suave yuppie or a trash collector. It won't matter if you were confident or even a quality individual. Age puts a lot of things in perspective!
I realize that we are supposed to live in the here and now but we Americans sometimes lose perspective and make things much more serious than they need to be. I suppose that every culture does this to some extent.
God bless the young among us here. You are coming up in a very complex era. And what is sad is that people used to tell me that back when I was young in the 80s! It's worse now. There is so much more to mentally process now.
You know what they say..."Youth is wasted on the young."

I wish I'd appreciated mine a little more...but I guess I worked my behind off in my 20's so I could enjoy my 30's. I know I'm a lot cooler and have much more fun than I was/did then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 PM

904 posts, read 1,385,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You know what they say..."Youth is wasted on the young."

I wish I'd appreciated mine a little more...but I guess I worked my behind off in my 20's so I could enjoy my 30's. I know I'm a lot cooler and have much more fun than I was/did then.
These are incredibly true words. I am much more of a whole person, able to accept myself, others and enjoy life in these years than I was when I was young.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,443,208 times
Quote:
Confidence comes more easily as you don't give a cr@p as much as you did when you were younger.

You are coming up in a very complex era.
And what is sad is that people used to tell me that back when I was young in the 80s! It's worse now. There is so much more to mentally process now.
I couldn't rep you again.

So true ... that realization is incredibly liberating, and does increase one's self confidence.

I agree. It seems like growing up today, even in Indianapolis, as an example, might be more complex than growing up in Los Angeles several decades ago. I had a blast growing up in LA. Now, it has a different vibe ... the air might be cleaner, but so many other things about it seem to have gotten more complex and worse. I remember when teenagers used to talk to each other and adults, face to face. Now everybody texts everything, and the only emotions shown are through emoticons.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,158,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
These are incredibly true words. I am much more of a whole person, able to accept myself, others and enjoy life in these years than I was when I was young.
I think that's a great mantra.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it's the exact opposite of what the article preaches. Trust me, as somebody who probably takes life, school, career and 'what I can give to people' way too seriously, I need to think more like you.

Just be a good person, chase my dreams, and not worry about what others think.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,228,486 times
Quote:
I am really happy to be middle aged now. It seems that when you are older, people are more accepting of your shortcomings. Confidence comes more easily as you don't give a cr@p as much as you did when you were younger. Then you reach the age when you realize that, in the end, nothing is as important as everyone is making it out to be. 100 years from now it won't matter whether you were a suave yuppie or a trash collector. It won't matter if you were confident or even a quality individual. Age puts a lot of things in perspective!
I realize that we are supposed to live in the here and now but we Americans sometimes lose perspective and make things much more serious than they need to be. I suppose that every culture does this to some extent.
God bless the young among us here. You are coming up in a very complex era. And what is sad is that people used to tell me that back when I was young in the 80s! It's worse now. There is so much more to mentally process now.
Haha I'm 25 and already came to those conclusions.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,698,087 times
Throw out the lists. Write your own script. It may or may not work. That's the chance you take. At least, it will be original.[/quote]

Best thing I found on this thread gotta dig through a lot of junk before find a diamond.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
This is all fact but remember according to some on here if your doing that but not dating it doesn't count.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM

37,771 posts, read 46,249,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's not a complaint. That's a story. The girl was a 3.7 in bio who I was not interested in, but my parents also knew her Dad and extended family, and this guest at the party certainly wouldn't be interested in her. The moral of the story is that there are both men and women who are s-hitty people ... and people will want to be with them nonetheless. We all know this. Let's not be in denial.

And I don't complain. I observe and philosophize. And my posts are not in the popular, groupthink pile here on CD-Relationships.
I guess I just see it more as complaining...especially when you post stuff like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
what I chose, watching the selection shrink and evaluating the effort I would have to expend".
It's just too much effort for you. But that's really okay. Because there are plenty of guys out there that DO make the effort, and they are managing to have happy successful relationships. (I know, because I have one of those guys.) That is entire point of the article.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,157,398 times
The article ONLY applies to our odd current (and sadly continuing) dating situation in modern, consumerist, over-populated, electronic, and somewhat sick America.

Thruoghout most of human history, these misandry-steeped "tips" would be ludicrous.

Imagine a WWII gunner having to be better than the rest to keep his dolly waiting for him at home. Imagine a serf needing to say, learn French to win the equally needy serf in the village. Or even John the mechanic in 1954 needing to be exceptional outside the garage to land a nubile wife.

They didn't have to because it was a different, more natural world back then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, yes, a man usually does have to be his very best to land the shrinking number of fit, attractive and cool women these days. But, for the non-competitve majority, all a guy has to do is ask, date, ask again, and follow-thru.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM

I love cracked its good site a lot of funny stuff and some good insight on things. I enjoy David Wong's articles and he is one of my favorites on the site. He had a pretty good message in their that is common sense but the way it was delivered. I understand he set up specifically and understood the response he would get from those who refused the message. The problem is that he created this objective your either this or that from the article which is far to objective of an approach to cover this topic. It puts those of us who agree with it but wish give it a fair critique and analysis get thrown in with the people who "don't get it". Some just want to give the author constructive criticism so if he goes to make another one similar to this it can be better expressed and address those of us who are in the middle and not at the end of two spectrums.

Overall the message was good but the delivery could of been done better that's my main gripe with the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships