Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Are you the one that left me the anonymous rep comment? It would make sense...

I think if the people on here upset you this much - maybe it's time to take a break. This isn't really real life on here. We aren't required to air our dirty laundry or tell the people on here every detail of our lives. It's just a forum where people come to talk, ask advice, be entertained, etc. And just because people are happy - it doesn't mean that they look down on others or think they are perfect.
I didn't leave an anonymous rep comment...It's not about people on here upsetting me, it's about telling the truth and being real about things. Take a break? For what? I've been through too much in life to let anything on here get me to be stressed out. Maybe you see me saying what's real and think it means I'm mad or something. I'm not mad about anything. I just call things like I see em and in the process people get pissed and point the finger at me and try to make up something like you just did about me being mad. How do you even know the mood in my house over here? Do you know if I'm having a few drinks with friends and just checking in on this every now and then? Do you know if I'm facing the corner sitting in muy chair in the dark contemplating the next thing to say on here?....lol...Stop assuming. As far as airing dirty laundry, who said I said anything about that? I'm just saying when a subject comes up people seem to sugarcoat things and make other people feel inferior so they can feel like they have some sense of control or power. We all see this time and time again. I'm just pointing out things like, why when we hear of all these 'hard-working' 'I did it all myself' individuals that there are no 'my parents actually did help me in some ways' or 'I did have some doors open that don't open for others'...We never hear things like that on here which shows me how phony or embarrased or scarred people are to admit things like this...That's all, the plain truth is what I'm speaking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
What is the cost of misery? What is the price of therapy? For many people who grew up in dysfunctional or alcoholic families, there are self-help groups, such as Adult Children of Acoholics.
I agree, with situations like alcohalism and other addictions people do need help, but I'm talking more along the lines of people on here suggesting counseling for every little thing which makes me think they are trying to belittle someone or show how much more together their life is than the other person's.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Yeah as if I want some of these morons knowing my deepest and darkest and advising on it!

NOT!
The famous novelist Anais Nin claimed everyone on this planet should see a psychiatrist, now and then!

Then? Back in the late 60's, early 70's! But no more now and then! Why tinker with perfection!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
go pray
Anyone who's talking to themselves, needs to go see a counselor.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Anyone who's talking to themselves, needs to go see a counselor.
Anyone relying on a man to do what only God can do needs a counselor

Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,593 times
I've never seen one and would never recommend to someone that they do. That's a personal decision.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Just like Lucy (Peanuts) I'm open for business.....

Feel free to pay my $5 fee with your Visa Card and I'll be happy to accept up to 2 questions by email. If you want serious advice that will be an additional $3. For an extra $10 I will wear my Priest outfit and we can do confidential confessions.

So there you go.... If money is a problem, for less than $20 you can get great mental assistance and feel better about your sins.

Please note: For female sex addictions, I prefer to meet in person. Pictures are appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I've seen therapists before, so when I recommend someone take that path, yeah, it's fairly informed advice on my part. They were a huge help. You just have to sort through what makes sense for you. A lot of it is "ugly truth" that must be considered seriously, but sometimes you have to take into account the therapist's biases. My one therapist was from a very privileged background, and treated mostly very wealthy clients - some of her suggestions could be a bit out there for someone of my income level. But overall her insights with regards to my emotional life were quite good.

There are resources where you can get treatment on a sliding scale - it's difficult to find though, I'll admit. But sometimes it's worth it to forego a vacation or your nights out for a while in order to have a session or two. And sometimes a therapist will work out a deal for you. I've paid out of pocket for more than one session when the insurance wouldn't cover it - and I've never regretted that expenditure.

As for advising someone to pray or to talk to family, um, NO. 1) Praying is a band-aid - that voice in your head? It's the one that's been steering you wrong to date. 2) Family is often either the root of the problem or the enabler. My family would bury bodies for me. They think I'm perfect. They're not going to help me do the "hard yards," as one of my buddies calls it. And my friends are too personally biased - even if they're going to give me constructive criticism, it's going to be "tainted" by the happy future that they envision for me.

So no, I don't advise people to see a therapist or counselor frivolously or because I look down on them. I advise them to take that route because I firmly believe it works for a lot of people.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
They weren't actual support groups (we didn't call them that). By "therapy," I meant formally seeing a counselor.
I know you didn't formally seek a counselor but what you did is a very common practice in therapy. They weren't support groups in name but support groups in practice.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,897 times
I would only suggest counseling if it seems like someone really needed it. In my opinion, it's not a big deal to see a counselor. When I went to a counselor, I was feeling hopeless and didn't really think talking to my friends/family was going to help anymore. There are posters who seem like they're at that point, and I would suggest some kind of counseling unless they specifically say they don't want it.

We can only do so much to help people. If I really think someone could benefit from counseling, I'll let them know and it's not a dig at that person if I suggest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships