Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM

39,381 posts, read 27,772,073 times

Advertisements

Yes, some kind of rare cancer. But it is only locally aggressive. His survival rate is almost 99.99%, so there is absolutely no link betwee his condition and premature death.

The reason for his divorce is the diagnose of his illness, unfortunately. His ex bailed because of the diagnose. However, some new information I got from mutual friends is that his ex wife couldn't stand his parents moving in with him. I don't know what to believe at this point.

------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,990,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
She told you what to expect on day 1, and you now know she wasn't kidding. Things will never change, so you must accept the situation as is or move on. Me, I would bail.
Me too. That parent issue would be difficult to overcome. If he can't put you first sometimes, then there is no hope in my book.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,918,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think I seriously need a reality check. I need opinions from both genders. So help me out here, guys.

First of all, I am a very attractive (guys' words, not mine), 30 year old childless woman, never been married, I dont have any children of my own, but I am certainly open to the idea., I have a rewarding career, college graduate, and loving parents.

Well, I accepted the reality years ago that you cannot help whom you fell in love with.

My boyfriend is 38 years old, had a child from previous relationship. I like the kid, but she is spoiled and entitled, then again, which kid is not nowadays.

My boyfriend works for a fortune 500 company, makes a little bit over 6 figure a year, has a huge mortgage. He suffers from a genetic illness and he will pass his illness to 50% of his children. He also is on chemotherapy.

He's a kind person, but sort of a mom's boy. He is currently living with his parents and although he is an almost 40 year old man, his parents treat him like 4 years old. He has to report to his parents his whereabout, and reality has proven he is not going to cut the apron strings any time soon.

His parents are the most pranoid, ignorant, close minded, suspicious, know-it-all, stubborn people I've ever known. They are living with him because they feel they have the needs to take care of my boyfriend. They are extremely judgemental and we don't get along. They never showed me any respect and believe I must have some kind of hidden agenda and try to take advantage of their son. They have this delusional belief that their son is God's gift to all women, and any women come his way already know what she is getting herself into. So no need to give the girl any respect. His mother told me how to cook on day one!!!!

My boyfriend and I are in love, but he is very much of a mom's boy. At this point, I can only count on his health getting better. But he has chronic illness, so chances are we would have to monitor his condition the rest of his life. The illness is a tickling time bomb.. However, my boyfriend has reassured me that his parents will move out when he can be independent. But when will he be independent is the question. My guess is he still has a looooooong way to go.

Will you consider a long time serious relationship with a guy who is kind, loving, financially secure, single father, a mom's boy who perhaps will live with his parents for a long time?

Opinions please. Thank you in advance.
No and neither should you.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM

904 posts, read 1,385,582 times
Given the headline I came in expecting a different kind of thread.

Given the details, I'm not sure this is workable. However, it is possible.

When I met my wife, her mother lived with her. When I moved in with my wife, her mother still lived with her. Four months after moving in with my wife, we sat her mother down and said "Time for you to go." Thankfully she did. She didn't even push the timeline we'd set for her. It's something I have respected ever since.

You cannot be successful with his parents in the picture. If you can navigate the waters of their exit, I think you may be able to have a future together. If you cannot, their presence really needs to be a deal-breaker.

One other point. I find it odd that you can't name the disease from which the man you love suffers. "...[S]ome kind of rare cancer..." I would expect that someone who was contemplating a life with another individual would be able to be more specific than that.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM

726 posts, read 1,233,319 times
Get out before you get any deeper into it.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM

708 posts, read 880,826 times
I probably would not.

This is just me, but the bit about your view of the kid being spoiled and entitled seemslike a red flag..why do you think that?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 PM

39,381 posts, read 27,772,073 times
not like I don't want to name his illness, I am kind of wondering if being so specific about his condition will give away my identity. God forbid his mother is watching the blog, highly impossible, but still..

To answer the question,
probably would not.

This is just me, but the bit about your view of the kid being spoiled and entitled seemslike a red flag..why do you think that?

This little girl is my boyfriend's only child and she will very possibly be his only child due to his genetic illness. He warned me that his kid is spoiled and entitled. I think the girl is normal. Nothing wrong with her and we do get along. Yeah, she has her moments, but nobody is perfect, I can deal with that.

I am not sure if i can deal with the living arrangement though. At the very beginning, I thought it is just a temporary thing, but it seems like his parents have no intention of moving out. HIs mother believes that even if he stopped chemo, she should still be in the picture because her precious son has no ability taking care of the daughter alone, even though he is now sharing custody with his wife 50/50

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,300,072 times
Yep. Move on. A family member that's always in your business, is just that, always in your business. Your answer will never be good enough and they'll constantly one up you. Get out now before you get anymore invested. Family interference can reak havoc on a relationship.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He is currently living with his parents and although he is an almost 40 year old man, his parents treat him like 4 years old. He has to report to his parents his whereabout, and reality has proven he is not going to cut the apron strings any time soon.
Forget the emotionally stunted child: I wouldn't want the emotionally stunted man.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,234,885 times
How does he have a big mortgage but lives with his mom and dad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships