Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,192 times

Advertisements

Both the reasons OP gave, can't stand them, and though I can afford them I'd rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's over generalizing iddy. And I know many who dated a single dads or moms. And that new person became a better parent than the real one. My dad was a single parent. My sister's friend's mom was a single mother and married a very well known famous man around here. Sometimes single parents should marry other single parents. And some recovering acholics should date other recovering acholics. Know what they been through. But it doesn't always happen that way. My mom loved my dad for the person he is. You should try it.
Why should I try dating a dad? I don't want to support his kids or worse his exwife (or baby mama if he is low class). Why would I want to work my life around his other family? Why would I want to experience drama? Not to mention not being able to marry in church because he is divorced (and no, marrying in a courthouse would not be a real marriage to me).

So nope this is something I will not try (and oddly I have which is why I advise against it). I will continue to tell childless people to run like heck away from single parents unless they enjoy seeing their paycheck go towards other people or enjoy drama. Instead perhaps the parents in many cases should try staying together instead of expecting others to pick up their mess.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Good, YOU raise all those abandoned kids, from lousy parents. Better you than me.
Yep I have to admit most of the kids from broken homes have lousy parents. Sorry but I really think the best family for a kid is two married parents and I stick by that. I realize some divorces do happen and so do some (very few)out of wedlock pregnancies for a reason but in most cases most are unjustified.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM

70 posts, read 88,983 times
Quote:
I dare say it. A single parent is damaged goods. Only single parents should date single parents.
I don't think single parents are damaged goods, but I do agree with the second statement.

Last edited by Kaye Star; 06-16-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I dare say it. A single parent is damaged goods. Only single parents should date single parents.
I wouldn't say all are damaged goods but many are. A single parent raising a kid in a good situation where they are supporting the kid and so is the other parent and there is no drama or any issues is not damaged goods. However situations where they want a childless person so that person can help support the kid or expect the childless to be willing to be a parent are damaged goods. A person with multiple out of wedlock children is damaged goods and someone with multiple baby mamas/baby daddies is a damaged person who is also a sociopath. Yes single parents should stick to other single parents and childless should avoid them in most cases.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:54 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
People who don't want to date single parents, shouldn't date single parents and no one should try to convince them otherwise. People that don't want to have their own kids, shouldn't have their own kids and no one should try to convince them otherwise. I'll never understand the reasoning behind people who think everyone should have kids. I'll never understand the reasoning behind those who think everyone should be like them. Just let other people live their lives however they please.

When I was single, I didn't date single parents. I wouldn't have made a good step-parent. It was a good thing that I didn't have any interest in being a step-mother and recognized my limitations.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Star View Post
I don't think single parents are damaged goods, but I go agree with the second statement.
Ya know, it's funny when I hear people say that single parents should date each other...because I know a few single Moms and it's NEVER been an issue for them to date childless men. I mean, one had 2 boyfriends while she was pregnant, and now is in a long term relationship with another guy. Of course, these women are really really attractive and it's amazing how many men will 'overlook' the child thing if the woman in question is pretty enough.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ya know, it's funny when I hear people say that single parents should date each other...because I know a few single Moms and it's NEVER been an issue for them to date childless men. I mean, one had 2 boyfriends while she was pregnant, and now is in a long term relationship with another guy. Of course, these women are really really attractive and it's amazing how many men will 'overlook' the child thing if the woman in question is pretty enough.
I've noticed that as well. If she's pretty, it's not a problem. I would have thought the frumpy unattached single woman would be the easier sell, but IRL that isn't what I see happening.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 PM

70 posts, read 88,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If that's the only reason those men are dating women, that's called superficiality.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
People who don't want to date single parents, shouldn't date single parents and no one should try to convince them otherwise. People that don't want to have their own kids, shouldn't have their own kids and no one should try to convince them otherwise. I'll never understand the reasoning behind people who think everyone should have kids. I'll never understand the reasoning behind those who think everyone should be like them. Just let other people live their lives however they please.

When I was single, I didn't date single parents. I wouldn't have made a good step-parent. It was a good thing that I didn't have any interest in being a step-mother and recognized my limitations.
I'd probably make a decent step mother but am not interested in being one if the mom is in the picture. In that situation (by far the most common)the step mother is usually just another person supporting the kid and possibly the ex and that would make me angry. I have seen many cases of the new spouse supporting the children and the ex yet getting nothing in return because they aren't the parents. It's a bit different in cases of widowed parents and those who adopted as single parents because there is not the other parent in the picture. The fact for me is I also don't want to be in control of someone else and this is the case when there are a previous spouse and kids in the picture. People often accuse me of hating kids but it's rarely an issue with the kids, though it could be.

I did date single dad, which is why I avoid them now. Hard to like a guy who can only take me to McDonalds and a budget movie because his ex gets most of his money. Or to like having a guy brings his kid on a date when I am paying and I end up buying dinner for the kid. Or to like not getting Christmas or birthday presents because he can't afford it. Or to like that if I married him I would be broke like him when his ex goes after him for more money because of my salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships