Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times

Advertisements

If someone's Facebook posts bother you there's always the option to UN-follow their updates. Some people misuse and/or overuse Facebook. Even if they're friends in real life those people end up UN-followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
If you don't like the bs on facebook unfriend them. Clean up your facebook for 2013.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think with some people posting in general is a no-win situation. If you post something happy, you're accused of bragging, or lying; if you post something negative, you are accused of being a downer, or over-sharing; if you post pics of nights out, your feet, or what you are doing right now, you are considered inane.

It's never really crossed my mind why people post what they do, and it's never bothered me either.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think with some people posting in general is a no-win situation. If you post something happy, you're accused of bragging, or lying; if you post something negative, you are accused of being a downer, or over-sharing; if you post pics of nights out, your feet, or what you are doing right now, you are considered inane.

It's never really crossed my mind why people post what they do, and it's never bothered me either.
This.

I have posted about my happiness with my life and my BF, not just on FB but on here as well. I guess some could say I'm bragging or not as happy as I portray it. Whatever. You can choose to ignore such things. I am happy for my friends when they are happy. The ones who tend to take issue are usually miserable.

I will say that pics of what you ate or telling people you changed shampoos or the ones who feel the need to post pics of themselves every day is overkill.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
hard to unfriend a relative.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
This.

I have posted about my happiness with my life and my BF, not just on FB but on here as well. I guess some could say I'm bragging or not as happy as I portray it. Whatever. You can choose to ignore such things. I am happy for my friends when they are happy. The ones who tend to take issue are usually miserable.

I will say that pics of what you ate or telling people you changed shampoos or the ones who feel the need to post pics of themselves every day is overkill.
This is my general outlook. We posted pictures when we got married, and a couple goofy anniversary posts (making fun of the whole "today I got to marry my best friend!" trend...lol). It doesn't really matter to me what other people post. Sure, some people post stuff I wouldn't or are overly dramatic, but that's their business and their consequences to deal with. Some people are so ridiculous it's downright amusing.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
why do people declare ANYTHING on fb?
Why do people declare anything, ever?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I watched someone go from gushing about her boyfriend, to bragging about her engagement (and posting pics of the ring)... then just yesterday changed her status from "engaged" to "single." I think she is an attention ho.
That's another thing (since I'm in that situation in which I'm currently engaged but a break up is inevitable). If we do end up breaking up, I would just hide my relationship status before changing it. I just can't stand to be one of those with a lot of comments on my status asking "Are you OK?" I feel some people show their status just for attention. Then their are those who constantly change their relationship status back and forth from "in a relationship" to "single".

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Agreed.

Let people post whatever they want.

I dunno, maybe I'm good at reading between the lines, but I don't read other people's updates and take every word seriously.

Of course constant gushing is likely to annoy people.

Of course taking pics of everything you consume is likely to annoy people.

Of course updating your status every five minutes is likely to annoy people.

Soooo. Here's me, browsing FB:

Person A has yet another update about her perfect kid. This makes about a dozen in the past week alone. Eh. She's a new mom. Maybe she's just really digging that little one. Maybe she's overwhelmed with being a parent but doesn't want anyone to know so she overcompensates. One thing is for sure. No child is perfect.

Person B has posted a rash of cryptic updates. I have zero clue wtf Person B is talking about, so I read the comments. If I cannot surmise from the comments? I ignore it. If Person B wants my attention he/she will hafta work harder.

Person C is on yet another vacation. Person C is posting pics of very enticing food and drink. Good for Person C. I love vacations. I like seeing people take vacations.

That's it. Don't let FB bug you. Garbage in, garbage out. If someone's updates are grating my nerves, I just unsubscribe from their updates.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My step daughter- 50 years old mind you- declared her undying love for her SO on FB in her New Year message. He in turn - 55 years old- turned around with equally mushy thoughts. They have been living together for about 2 years. Both have been married before-she has been divorced 3 times.

Why do people do this? I think it is more for the benefit of others reading and surely not for the benefit of the person one loves. Now i can see sentimental expressions on anniversaries, birthdays etc and I understand wanting your loved one to know how you feel but I do have to wonder about why it is done on Facebook. Doesn't that seem like a personal thing that surely they have expressed to each other before?

I'm very happy she is feeling so secure and established with this man but it baffles me why this has to be expressed to all 497 friends on FB. We all have known for a very long time they are living together and in a committed relationship.
I don't have a problem when other people do it, but I don't like to do it myself. I don't want my relationship to be in a fishbowl for everyone to see.

I'll post if I had an awesome date with my girlfriend, but the sentimental romantic stuff I keep between her and I. Some things said should be between the man and woman involved. I think it makes it more special, IMO. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships