Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,940,309 times

Advertisements

Of course you're "settling". Everyone does. People are all a mixed bag of good and bad qualities. Men and women in many cases don't think the same and have a different set of priorities. They don't even see colors the same. So yes its a judgment call. And its also a risk, because people change as they go through life. There's no magic formula for picking a spouse to be "happily ever after." The biggest mistake people actually make is if they marry someone is "perfect in every way." They will soon find all kinds of faults and have their dreams smashed. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,469,543 times
if you cant tell what you are doing why are you even in a relationship? its just another form of stringing people along

Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 PM

201 posts, read 236,481 times
Ok, here's the thing...love is like a plant; it grows according to what you feed it. The best way to both affirm your love and grow your love is to feed it. Love is work, love is action, love is sacrifice, love is an investment.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 AM

18 posts, read 23,937 times
Above all else, you should be careful and not marry this guy if you secretly feel bored with him already. It is not fair to him. If you marry and have kids, your lives will change *dramatically* and by that point you're both locked-in for a good 20 to 25 years because even if you divorce you are still a parent and you will still have responsibilities toward your children.

On the other hand, you need to also realize that long term relationships are not always filled with endless romance and extasis. That's the fantasy that Hollywood sells and it is pure horse manure. Ever wonder about the absolute hypocrisy of those actors who play the ideal husband or wife on the set and yet have disastrous personal lives involving lover after lover after lover? It is because life is complicated.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,875,906 times
You won't value what you have until you lost it. So make the plunge, make him happier and leave him now. Go find your bad boy and realize the disappointment ahead in your life. You are cheating and lying to the SO so why not spare him any further hardship? I expect there are many women that will value and love him for real.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 AM

11,389 posts, read 9,309,198 times
Quote:
I often feel bored and unattracted to him.
Read what you wrote over and over again.

By staying you are being dishonest. He deserves a chance to be with someone who will appreciate him more than you do.

What I suggest is to do the right thing and break it off ASAP.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM

192 posts, read 382,567 times
Very powerful thread. Unfortunately I think you already know the answer yourself........... you've reached that point where you feel like you "can probably do better"... it's a point of no return IMO... if he was to dump you tomorrow, I'm convinced you'd be head over heels again.. but it would be based on not being able to deal with his rejection instead of true love.

Propz for making this thread though, really got me thinking.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM

11,389 posts, read 9,309,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
if you cant tell what you are doing why are you even in a relationship? its just another form of stringing people along
Exactly. Not a cool thing to do...

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,784,306 times
So many people are so quick in this thread to tell her to give up. I don't know though. They have been together for 5 years, and I don't think it's uncommon to get restless when you've been together that long. People get complacent, the spark fades. That doesn't mean that you can't liven things up though and breathe some new life into the relationship. Communication is key though. You have to let him know how you're feeling and give him a chance to turn things around.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,689,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
So many people are so quick in this thread to tell her to give up. I don't know though. They have been together for 5 years, and I don't think it's uncommon to get restless when you've been together that long. People get complacent, the spark fades. That doesn't mean that you can't liven things up though and breathe some new life into the relationship. Communication is key though. You have to let him know how you're feeling and give him a chance to turn things around.
I agree with you.

The OP is expecting a magical feeling that lasts throughout the years; such a thing does not exist. All relationships change over time, so it is up to us to work on keeping things interesting.

If the OP breaks up with her boyfriend, I predict that she will regret it in 10 years or so. This is the end result of expecting excitement and complete emotional fulfillment from a relationship: All the Single Ladies - Kate Bolick - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships