Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,434 times

Advertisements

Every married couple has had fights and arguments. For those that did end up getting a divorce, what was the straw that broke for you? How do you know when 'enough is enough' and called it quits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,154 times
For me it was realizing I really didn't want kids with my Ex. I do want kids with my current wife.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
She was a mean, angry, jealous, controlling, untrusting, co-dependent (to the point where she would get angry when I'd fly back to Phoenix to see my ailing mother) condescending tnuc that had absolutely zero control over her emotions. The meaner she was the less I'd want to have sex with her and the less I wanted to have sex with her the meaner she got. I finally had enough, moved to Denver and had the lawyer take care of everything so that I wouldnt have to see her again. Neither of us cheated, we just didnt get along. It was a collection of things, not a single straw.

Last edited by Scottay; 01-08-2013 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Woah.

My ex hub had a history of "leaving", threatening to leave, etc etc, all the way through our marriage.

One day he took his wedding ring off and stormed out the door.

I never let him back in.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Every married couple has had fights and arguments. For those that did end up getting a divorce, what was the straw that broke for you? How do you know when 'enough is enough' and called it quits?
He dropped out of undergrad without telling me. I found out when the collection notice for tuition he hadn't paid arrived in the mail. Sorry, that's one of those major life things you discuss with your spouse. That was probably the death knell, after him trying to change my mind about kids and him not doing his share of chores when I was the one who paid most of the bills and worked full-time while he was supposed to be in school.

But I knew it was unsalvageable after a weekend in New York with friends. He forgot to pack shirts and made us over an hour late for brunch while he went out and bought some. (And he didn't even apologize or claim responsibility for it when we arrived.) He whined and complained about not liking the coffee in the hotel room, not knowing where to go to get some, and having to go to--horrors!--Dunkin' Donuts. And then he blew through every toll booth on the way back home. He had an E-Z Pass, but it either didn't have money or it wasn't working, and even though the light to pay the toll went on, he just slowed down and drove through--in the car I paid for, for which my name was the primary registrant so the tickets came to me.

That was it for me. Those three things angered me beyond all reason, the small things that were just symptoms of the much larger problems of his irresponsibility and immaturity. I saw the years stretching out before me, with me paying the price for every little mess he created. I thought, "I'll be damned if I end up being his second mother for the rest of my life."

BTW, I made sure the tickets went into the property settlement agreement so he had to pay them.

And danged if, when he pet-sat for me and watered my plants while I was away one weekend, he didn't overwater them and ruin the carpet at my apartment so that the landlord wanted to charge me for it. We were divorced, and although we were on friendly terms, there I was, STILL paying for his stupidity.

I don't wish him ill, but dang, am I glad I don't have to deal with him anymore!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
She was buying too much Cincinnati Bengals gear for my taste...as a Browns fan,I had to let her go....

Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
He was unhappy and angry all the time. Finally in a fit of rage, he slapped our then 7-year old daughter, leaving a bruise on her face. He was out the next morning.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,434 times
Thank you for sharing everyone. It's really quite sad to hear everyone's experiences. I know it's not easy to make the decision and it's especially tough if you have kids involved. My wife and I rarely ever fight, but when we do, it always feels like it's the end and our kids are the only thing that's holding us together. All marriages need work - that I know - and this thread gives me a different perspective altogether after reading everyone's experiences. Again, thank you for sharing.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

That was it for me. Those three things angered me beyond all reason, the small things that were just symptoms of the much larger problems of his irresponsibility and immaturity. I saw the years stretching out before me, with me paying the price for every little mess he created. I thought, "I'll be damned if I end up being his second mother for the rest of my life."
Those are far from "small" things! Just wondering--is this one of those "got married too young" stories? I wonder how people can end up with someone like this. Usually it's when you're too young to know what's a red flag in the relationship in the earlier stages.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post

When she wasn't able to close her legs for another man. I was more miffed then I was hurt & that was more then enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships