Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,381 times

Advertisements

How frequently do romantic "exceptions to the rule" occur? Would you put a numeric estimate on the frequency with which they statistically appear in society (i.e., 1-2%, etc.)?

Some examples of what I mean by "exceptions":

1. A stereotypical but also genuinely nice guy who attracts, rather than repels women
2. A woman who is extremely attractive physically, but is also not automatically attracted to stereotypical qualities like power, status, confidence, etc. in men
3. A man who will readily date women regardless of their physical looks, and dates solely based on personality alone
4. A woman who believes that chemistry can still be acquired over time even if it is not initially present, or that a lack of initial chemistry can be successfully overcome by other external factors
...etc.

Also, do you believe that the frequency with which exceptions to the rule occur is primarily based on nature or nurture? What (if anything) do you believe could make exceptions more likely to occur?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-12-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
How can you put a stat to that?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Does it matter how frequently? Just know that it happens.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Some here figure your kissing arse if your a romantic & you just want sex from your SO.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
x% I don't know what x is, but I can tell you it's x% lol.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
How frequently do romantic "exceptions to the rule" occur? Would you put a numeric estimate on the frequency with which they statistically appear in society (i.e., 1-2%, etc.)?

1. A stereotypical but also genuinely nice guy who attracts, rather than repels women
2. A woman who is extremely attractive physically, but is also not automatically attracted to stereotypical qualities like power, status, confidence, etc. in men
3. A man who will readily date women regardless of their physical looks, and dates solely based on personality alone
4. A woman who believes that chemistry can still be acquired over time even if it is not initially present, or that a lack of initial chemistry can be successfully overcome by other external factors
...etc.

Also, do you believe that the frequency with which exceptions to the rule occur is primarily based on nature or nurture? What (if anything) do you believe could make exceptions more likely to occur?
1. Rarely. But for a very good reason. Most guys women judge as "too nice" are, in fact, passive-aggressive types who feel their "nice" demeanor entitles them to women's affections.
2. Occasionally. Beautiful people, both male and female, are frequently fawned over by others and can develop a strong sense of entitlement. People with a strong sense of entitlement often gravitate to other people who seem entitled--i.e. possess wealth, power, etc.
3. Never.
4. Actually, I have found this to be quite common. In my experience, it is men, rather than women, who are all about instant chemistry.

I think very little about human being is based on "nature." Most of what we are is the result of social conditioning. Evolutionary psychology is very trendy right now, so lots of people talk about how we are "hard-wired" for this, that and the other. The fact is, there is no way to know for sure whether something in learned or innate. Just because you feel something particularly strongly doesn't mean you didn't learn it.

As for points 2 and 3, the answer is a culture that commodifies people less and a socialization process that doesn't put such a high premium on looks relative to other factors. Yes, people will always be drawn to beauty. That is innate. But disregarding everything but beauty is learned.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post

...etc.

These happen often, Especially after one might have been in the dating game a while and they changed their views based on their experience. And are looking for LTR/Marriage.

The "nice guys" who are stable as well will get women who are looking for a relationship without the typical bad boy drama. The women mentioned above maybe realized jerks can be successful too, And the idea of a lifetime commitment is more important then stuff. it is. What is stuff? You can lose it all tomorrow anyway.

A winning personality is important. There is nothing worse then feeling you need to act a certain way while in a relationship. Being a chameleon is not something most can do for years.

Chemistry usually begins right away though. I think it's hard to develop that. love takes more time I think.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
I think these things can and do happen. I don't think I can put a statistic on it, but I know it happens.

It is a wonderful thing when things like this do occur.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times

(when are we going to get more emoticons here?)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
You're talking about "the rules" formulated by the social outcasts on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships