Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,884,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I don't have to climb Mount Everest to know I wouldn't be able to do it.
Yeah, but you also don't have to cry about it on a public forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
Quote:
I don't have to climb Mount Everest to know I wouldn't be able to do it.
Well, not without putting a lot of effort into it. People who climb Mt Everest don't just wake up one day and decide to do it. They work hard and prepare. And not everyone can do it. And some fail. But the people that are able to do it - that are able to stand at the peak and look down at their accomplishment - well, I'm guessing it's one of the most incredible feelings in the world. But if your attitude is that you wouldn't be able to so you aren't going to try - well, that's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM

677 posts, read 1,195,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You don't have to come here if you don't want to.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,751,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It's only strange if your doing it because of circumstances outside of personal choice.

In other words, its a weak a** excuse to use your parents relationship, an ex relationship, your friends relationship, past or future fear to justify it.

The ONLY way for that decision to be justifiable is if you are making it based on the simple fact that you prefer to be alone, not attached to another individual.

there seems to be no justifiable reason for anyone who chooses an alternative lifestyle, per the OP. Even for the people that claim to have tried repeatedly and 'failed' or 'gave up,' someone still says they are below everyone else for it.

If this OP has never given an honest effort and drawn this conclusion it doesn't seem to matter either way, it's a lifestyle not deemed 'acceptable or valid' to most other people (even though it does not directly affect anyone except him).

Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,884,571 times
Quote:
You don't have to come here if you don't want to.
Yeah, but it's just patently obvious that you really don't want to be single forever, you are just here for the attention and validation, whatever that may be.

If you were so resolved to the fact that you were incapable of a relationship, then why even put it out there for public discussion? You're lying to yourself, bud.

I gave you good (or, at least, I think it was) advice earlier in this thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,706,631 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it's just patently obvious that you really don't want to be single forever, you are just here for the attention and validation, whatever that may be.

If you were so resolved to the fact that you were incapable of a relationship, then why even put it out there for public discussion? You're lying to yourself, bud.

I gave you good (or, at least, I think it was) advice earlier in this thread.
Maybe you're wrong because he maybe quite assured of himself that he wants to be single forever but knowing how this is a minority lifestyle choice (hence easy to create judgment upon). He has decided to troll you and others on it. To be fair to him, he is doing a decent job. So while you may think he's lying to himself it is in fact you who can't read him correctly. In fact, no one can really know one's self more than that person.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:

That's like saying all these people who make the 'should I leave my cheating spouse or stay?' threads are 'crying' about it on a public forum and want validation, etc. His topic is no less valid then the rest of these topics on here.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 02-07-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM

11,823 posts, read 12,074,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
That's like saying all these people who make the 'should I leave my cheating spouse or stay?' threads are 'crying' about it on a public forum and want validation, etc. His topic is no less valid then the rest of these topics on here.
It's the idea that he's made up his mind about a life choice, so why does he need validation for it, if that's his decision?

IMO, I don't consult with the masses when I have my mind made up about something...it's when I don't and could use other perspectives.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
It's the idea that he's made up his mind about a life choice, so why does he need validation for it, if that's his decision?

IMO, I don't consult with the masses when I have my mind made up about something...it's when I don't and could use other perspectives.

The only person who said he needed 'validation' for it is you and previously someone else, not the OP. I was assuming he wanted to have a discussion about those who make said choice in life and as I said it's no more or less a topic then any other on here that these so called City Data 'experts' discuss revolving around their marriages/relationships. Any adverse topic that doesn't fall within their own personal choices is met with criticism or the tired old statement not "you must need attention, etc." Many of the topics they post don't apply to me personally but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed at all.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
there seems to be no justifiable reason for anyone who chooses an alternative lifestyle, per the OP. Even for the people that claim to have tried repeatedly and 'failed' or 'gave up,' someone still says they are below everyone else for it.

If this OP has never given an honest effort and drawn this conclusion it doesn't seem to matter either way, it's a lifestyle not deemed 'acceptable or valid' to most other people (even though it does not directly affect anyone except him).
If anything - the OP seems to think that people who choose a different life than the one that he's decided upon are below him - not the other way around. I don't think he's below me - but I don't find his arguments sound or grounded. And I think he's just a young kid that thinks he knows everything - and will someday look back on his 21 year old self and have a good chuckle.

Oh - and he is the saying that nobody should get married - we aren't saying that everybody should get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships