Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM

677 posts, read 1,195,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Therefore, marriage is always wonderful and amazing. Our marriages are perfect examples of why marriage is perfect!
My mother probably thought like that one day. It changed overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
My mother probably thought like that one day. It changed overnight.
So? Just because it happened to your mother doesn't mean it happens to EVERYONE. That never happened to my mother. It also didn't happen to many, many other people that I know. Look - don't get married. Don't ever have a relationship. Don't date. Just be happy and let others be happy. That's what happy people do.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,310,772 times
It's only strange if your doing it because of circumstances outside of personal choice.

In other words, its a weak a** excuse to use your parents relationship, an ex relationship, your friends relationship, past or future fear to justify it.

The ONLY way for that decision to be justifiable is if you are making it based on the simple fact that you prefer to be alone, not attached to another individual.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Can you produce this evidence please?
Most of the world's unhappiness is related to romantic relationships and all the legal troubles that come with it.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 AM

11,816 posts, read 12,064,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It's only strange if your doing it because of circumstances outside of personal choice.

In other words, its a weak a** excuse to use your parents relationship, an ex relationship, your friends relationship, past or future fear to justify it.

The ONLY way for that decision to be justifiable is if you are making it based on the simple fact that you prefer to be alone, not attached to another individual.
^^^. To add to it, most rational people would make this decision based on their own personal experiences, not the experiences of others. I don't think there are that many people who truly want no companionship in life, but you often hear of someone becoming jaded or cynical based on their own personal (bad) experiences or choices. That makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense to have not yet had any life experiences, and opt to be single based on fear.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM

72 posts, read 206,935 times
Quote:
I badmouth marriage the same way I'd badmouth war. If it's bad, it's bad.
Your parents sound identical to mine. I have a big family, and their marriages definitely looks like war. They openly state how they regret being married and that "love" is bullcrap. All my aunties, uncles, grandparents say it too, and they're 50yrs old and above. They have the experience, so they must obviously know what they're talking about. I enjoy my short term relationships with women but I''d never even think about getting married or letting her move in. It's not for me. I've seen enough of it to know I'll never do it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be single. Stay single if you makes you happy and don't ever feel pressurized into doing something because everyone else is.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
So? Just because it happened to your mother doesn't mean it happens to EVERYONE. That never happened to my mother. It also didn't happen to many, many other people that I know. Look - don't get married. Don't ever have a relationship. Don't date. Just be happy and let others be happy. That's what happy people do.
Still, marriage's sucess rate is very low in the long term and keeps decreasing. There's no way to deny it.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Quote:
Still, marriage's sucess rate is very low in the long term and keeps decreasing. There's no way to deny it.
Actually, there are no accurate statistics for the divorce rate. Someone explained this on another thread - but most truthful sites will also spell that out. Divorce also varies by class, education, 1st marriage vs. 2nd marriage, etc. There haven't been any studies done that follow the same group of newlyweds for years and years - which would really be the only accurate way to see any sort of data for a divorce rate.

But it seems that you will only see what you want to see - which is the marriage of your parents. And if you want to let other people's lives dictate how you live yours - you have the right to do so. Nobody is stopping you. If you are happy that's all that matters. But you don't seem very happy to me - but I don't know you so who am I to judge.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
Quote:

THIS. ^^^^^

JayN, I sense conflict in you. If you were secure in your decisions, you wouldn't be asking the question of whether it's strange, nor would you be so aggressively negative, or even concerned, with what other people do.

Believe me, I can see why some folks don't want marriage. I don't particularly want it myself. And, to crack a joke, if I took these boards to be representative of the human race, not only would I never want to marry, I'd never want to date and I'd probably want to wall myself up in a compound in rural Iowa or something.

But I'm not going to sit there and say that an entire way of life is wrong. I don't want kids, but that doesn't mean kids and parents are evil. Same thing.

Just live your life and focus on what you want to do. You'll probably be much happier that way.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
^^^. To add to it, most rational people would make this decision based on their own personal experiences, not the experiences of others. I don't think there are that many people who truly want no companionship in life, but you often hear of someone becoming jaded or cynical based on their own personal (bad) experiences or choices. That makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense to have not yet had any life experiences, and opt to be single based on fear.
I don't have to climb Mount Everest to know I wouldn't be able to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships