Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Sure, but I assume his suicide attempt is about being unable to envision a positive future. I'd assume it's the same negative outlook that keeps him from wanting to date. Dating may lead to misery, but then again, it may lead to bliss.
I'm not looking to date anyone but I don't have a negative outlook on life. Dating is an optional part of life and how much of a dating life one has shouldn't define them as a person. I just wish the kid would stop badmouthing marriage. The problem isn't the idea of marriage itself it's the people who decide to get married that have the problem sort of like how I feel guns aren't the problem but some of the people who get their hands on them are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,051,140 times
Hmm

I could go into the flippant tossing around of "percentages" for divorce rates and such, but we have beaten that to death so much and it doesn't seem to matter to those who want to paint with broad brushes.

Instead, I will say this. Every decision in life comes with an oppotunity cost, and they all have some level of "risk." When we make a major life decision, we are balancing the advantages we get in that decision, versus the opportunities it costs us if we did not make that decision. Along with that, we caluclate what the risk of a negative outcome is in the decision, vs the possibility or value of a possitive outcome.

Such is the very personal choice of an individual as to whether they want to consider marriage or not. For some, they look at the percentages in general, and decide that the risk (usually financial) of a potential divorce is not worth the advantage of being officially married. Other's look at that same risk, and determine for them it is worth taking that risk for the possibility of having a happy marriage (and the benefits which come with it, some of which are financial too).

I do not think there is a wrong choice. I certainly do not think anyone, by simply seeking marriage, is "jumping off a cliff." It is simply a life choice that not everyone agrees on, and which people need to follow their hearts with.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,206,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Obviously. I love my mother, my brother, my grandparents and the only 2 friends I have. They're the ones that matter.
Well, some people love someone so much that they want to spend the rest of their lives with them. And they love them so much that they are willing to make it legal - even though there are no guarantees. I understand that you can't understand that kind of love - but it does exist. I understand that you don't desire that kind of love - but others do. I can understand not choosing that path but I can't understand wanting nobody else to choose that path. That doesn't seem like someone who is happy with their lives. When you are happy - you want others to be happy, too, even though they might take a different path. Just something to think about.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

677 posts, read 1,195,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm not looking to date anyone but I don't have a negative outlook on life. Dating is an optional part of life and how much of a dating life one has shouldn't define them as a person. I just wish the kid would stop badmouthing marriage. The problem isn't the idea of marriage itself it's the people who decide to get married that have the problem sort of like how I feel guns aren't the problem but some of the people who get their hands on them are the problem.
I badmouth marriage the same way I'd badmouth war. If it's bad, it's bad.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I badmouth marriage the same way I'd badmouth war. If it's bad, it's bad.
I'm sorry dude but I fail to see how marriage is like war. I would like to ask where and how did you form these views of marriage.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry dude but I fail to see how marriage is like war. I would like to ask where and how did you form these views of marriage.
His parents.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Hmm

I could go into the flippant tossing around of "percentages" for divorce rates and such, but we have beaten that to death so much and it doesn't seem to matter to those who want to paint with broad brushes.

Instead, I will say this. Every decision in life comes with an oppotunity cost, and they all have some level of "risk." When we make a major life decision, we are balancing the advantages we get in that decision, versus the opportunities it costs us if we did not make that decision. Along with that, we caluclate what the risk of a negative outcome is in the decision, vs the possibility or value of a possitive outcome.

Such is the very personal choice of an individual as to whether they want to consider marriage or not. For some, they look at the percentages in general, and decide that the risk (usually financial) of a potential divorce is not worth the advantage of being officially married. Other's look at that same risk, and determine for them it is worth taking that risk for the possibility of having a happy marriage (and the benefits which come with it, some of which are financial too).

I do not think there is a wrong choice. I certainly do not think anyone, by simply seeking marriage, is "jumping off a cliff." It is simply a life choice that not everyone agrees on, and which people need to follow their hearts with.
You've got thousands of years of evidence that marriage has much more disadvantages than advantages.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You've got thousands of years of evidence that marriage has much more disadvantages than advantages.
Can you produce this evidence please?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Just see how marriages usually end up like (in the past they ended in death, today it's in divorce) and you'll see that a war zone is probably safer than a couple doing through divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
His parents.
My parents are the perfect example of why marriage is a sham. They are from a generation where divorce started being acceptable but they still had huge pressure on them to stay married just because (like my grandparents). Fortunately my mother managed to put an end to it after 30 years but it must be very frustrating to look back and see your wedding day was the biggest mistake in your life (even if she says not everything was bad because she had my brother and I but that just an excuse).

Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Just see how marriages usually end up like (in the past they ended in death, today it's in divorce) and you'll see that a war zone is probably safer than a couple doing through divorce.

My parents are the perfect example of why marriage is a sham. They are from a generation where divorce started being acceptable but they still had huge pressure on them to stay married just because (like my grandparents). Fortunately my mother managed to put an end to it after 30 years but it must be very frustrating to look back and see your wedding day was the biggest mistake in your life (even if she says not everything was bad because she had my brother and I but that just an excuse).
But my parents were very happily married until my father passed away. And my husband and I are very happily married. Our wedding day was one of the best days of our lives! Therefore, marriage is always wonderful and amazing. Our marriages are perfect examples of why marriage is perfect!

Don't worry - I don't believe that marriage is always amazing. But it can be - with the right person. And I'm not telling you that you can't be happy if you don't get married - I'm just telling you that it is possible to get married and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships