Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times

Advertisements

I met my husband on match.com, so I considered it worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,911,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
And by "older woman," that means over 35. My experience has also been they are a waste of time and money.

Here's what I can tell you about my experience with Match. They've been under fire more than once for using fake profiles. You can sign up for free and send "winks" but you can't communicate beyond that without paying. So, someone could send you a "wink", you could e-mail them in response (assuming you are a paying member), but if they aren't a paying customer, you can't communicate beyond that.

After your subscription expires, they keep your profile on file for a year in case you change your mind. My experience was to receive winks and e-mails first a month and then two months after mine expired. I thought it was weird someone would contact me after I'd been inactive for that long, but a search of my age and zip code (using my friend's account) both times pulled up my profile and showed I'd been active within 24 hours when I hadn't been. I ultimately had my profile permanently deleted.

It can be demoralizing to try to initiate contact after contact with no response, however, there's no way of telling if someone you are contacting on Match is actually an active user unless their profile outright states "As of this date, I am no longer a paying member."
Mine too and it has made me very cynical about the whole online dating thing. Nothing is more depressing than being rejected by guys like me while being contacted by men who have my dealbreakers. I know for several months after my Match membership expired I was getting so many winks and messages but ALL of them were from guys I wasn't interested in so I never renewed that time.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,062,378 times
My wife and I met through match, so in that regard it was a success.

That said, it takes a lot of effort on your part in refining what you put there, and sifting through the people you are looking at too. Basically, it is what you make of it in some respects.

I did find it annoying that not everyone on the site was paying however. Only paying members could communicate, so if you saw a profile you liked, and the person was not a paying member, they were unable to reply. I think it attracts a lot of dating site tire kickers, who are interested enough to do a profile, or pay for a short period, but then give up and leave their profile. It just creates a lot of clutter of non-serious ads.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,167,903 times
I think the key is to find the site that is right for you. Some people require very niche sites. The mainstream ones are so bloated and ovverun with bots, spammers, fake profilers and other less savory individuals that it really is a crapshoot when you put up a profile.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,707,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Mine too and it has made me very cynical about the whole online dating thing. Nothing is more depressing than being rejected by guys like me while being contacted by men who have my dealbreakers. I know for several months after my Match membership expired I was getting so many winks and messages but ALL of them were from guys I wasn't interested in so I never renewed that time.
maybe those guys are NOT like you if they keep rejecting you, or maybe you need to lower your standards a little.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,490,417 times
My wife (the new one, not the old one!) found me on match. I also met some other really great women and had a couple of good relationships result, at least until we decided we weren't compatible. They are still good friends.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,785,732 times
I tried two. Match and POF. Overall, I found that Match had much higher quality women. For me - Match had more women that I was attracted to physically, had hobbies and interests in common with, had a similar amount of career experience with, similar education with, and similar goals in life. But of course Match costs money. That's just my experience in my city though.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,911,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_of_Reason View Post
maybe those guys are NOT like you if they keep rejecting you, or maybe you need to lower your standards a little.
No, actually most of them are LOWER than my actual standards. I am never married, childless and seek the same, only the single dads (gag)were the majority of the guys contacting me (though my profile clearly states no dads). I am not lowering my standards to date dads so not sure lowering my standards is what I need to do. In fact it's not, as I am not interested in money, height, hot looks etc. The guys rejecting me were not all that either.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,337,221 times
I know a few people that have had success with Match. I met the person I'm with now on a dating site called Coffee Meets Bagel (no, it's not a black and Jewish dating site). It networks through Facebook connections to find you matches. Not your direct FB friends, but more like friends of friends or friends of friends of friends. You only get one match per day and you either like or dislike them. If there is a mutual like, you get connected through a secure phone line and can text/talk for a week and decide if you actually want to meet the person in real life or exchange your real phone number. If you don't, the line is lost and they can't contact you anymore. The site launched last year but it's not in every city. It's only in NY, Boston and San Fran I think. Here is an article about it:

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/0...e-meets-bagel/

The concept is very different from current dating sites in that you cannot search for matches. I feel that it mimics "real world" encounters since in real wold dating you meet random people, some of whom you might meet through friends or family, and you often don't know all these intricate details about them right off the bat. You're either interested in them or not. Other dating sites like Match force you to fill out these long profiles that contain damn near your entire life history so when you browse the selections you learn way more about them that one normally would if they were to meet them first in real life.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,274,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, actually most of them are LOWER than my actual standards. I am never married, childless and seek the same, only the single dads (gag)were the majority of the guys contacting me (though my profile clearly states no dads). I am not lowering my standards to date dads so not sure lowering my standards is what I need to do. In fact it's not, as I am not interested in money, height, hot looks etc. The guys rejecting me were not all that either.

Maybe they've noticed how you present yourself? No offence but you do come of as a ***** I wouldn't want my brother to date you. You really don't seem very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships