Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM

14 posts, read 24,839 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find someone to share my life with, that would enhance me, not change me. Someone to do the day to day. I miss being married and have been single long enough. Time to get back to serious relationship of two people working together on things.
I am finding that most of the god sites charge a good amount if you want to join and even more if you want to do it for only 1 month.
I am thinking I have to pay to even look at who may be interested in some internet flirting or chatting first, not even more serious exchanges of numbers etc.
Has anyone used any of the pay sites and what is your response to them.
I haven't paid to any yet as I want to find out just how much of a scam they really are or if indeed they do work and you do meet some good people.
Thanks for advice. I will be waiting for the posts just like the soulmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb2go View Post
I am trying to find someone to share my life with, that would enhance me, not change me.
Isn't enhancement a form of change ?

Quote:
Someone to do the day to day.
As opposed to odd-numbered days?

Quote:
I am finding that most of the god sites charge a good amount if you want to join and even more if you want to do it for only 1 month.
God sites , like christian ones ? Or just theistic in general ? I tried a site dedicated to the roman god "Liber" but it was mostly dudes.

Quote:
I am thinking I have to pay to even look at who may be interested in some internet flirting or chatting first, not even more serious exchanges of numbers etc.
Has anyone used any of the pay sites and what is your response to them.
I tried a pay site. My response was that it was a waste of money. But then, it depends on your age and gender and whether the people you're interested in are available in sufficient numbers. If you're a younger man or an older woman you get the short end of the stick regarding the availability of online dating options.

Quote:
I haven't paid to any yet as I want to find out just how much of a scam they really are or if indeed they do work and you do meet some good people.
You won't necessarily find better people on a pay site.

you'll get more 'junk' from a free site, but going to a pay site won't relieve you of this burden of having to screen people out.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i think they are fantastic. i love eharmony. i emailed and phoned a gal for months until i took the plunge flew to nashville to meet her. there she was quasimoto with false pics and profile.
what an opportunity.
remember people are always truthful and honest in internet dating ask anybody.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-17-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
I have only used POF but thre are plenty of attractive women there, worth spending some quality time with. I met my girl on there within a couple of days and have been dating her for the last 4 months.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
I met my husband on eharmony, he was my first date from the website. We were married 1 year to the day after our first date.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I did match for a year. Match is 120 for six months (could be more now). You're right that they charge less if you sign up for longer. If you do match be careful because at the end of however long you signed up for they will automatically bill your credit card and sign you up for more time if you don't log on and cancel it before it's set to renew. They got me with another six months that way.

I went on a lot of dates and had a few mini relationships if you could even call a month or two a relationship. But no one really seemed serious about having a LTR. I know online has worked for a lot of people and who knows maybe one day I will go back, but it has a lot of negatives too. For one thing most people are talking to more than one person at a time. Which is fine especially if you've just been on a couple dates, but after 3 or 4 good dates with someone I don't want to date anyone else. It's hard to see if you really have potential with someone when they're distracted going on dates with 3 other people. It also means that at any moment you could be dumped for someone they think is better, or I found that even one misunderstanding can cause someone to drop you because they can just log back onto the site and find someone else. I think a lot of people are searching for some mythical perfect person that they end up letting a lot of great matches go because they think the grass will be greener on the other side.

I did it really hoping I would meet someone who wanted to be serious. Maybe my expectations were too high. I think if you can lower your expectations to almost nothing and look at it as just a fun distraction then it's worth doing...maybe. I'm kind of jaded about my experiences online right now.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I

I tried a pay site. My response was that it was a waste of money. But then, it depends on your age and gender and whether the people you're interested in are available in sufficient numbers. If you're a younger man or an older woman you get the short end of the stick regarding the availability of online dating options.

You won't necessarily find better people on a pay site.
And by "older woman," that means over 35. My experience has also been they are a waste of time and money.

Here's what I can tell you about my experience with Match. They've been under fire more than once for using fake profiles. You can sign up for free and send "winks" but you can't communicate beyond that without paying. So, someone could send you a "wink", you could e-mail them in response (assuming you are a paying member), but if they aren't a paying customer, you can't communicate beyond that.

After your subscription expires, they keep your profile on file for a year in case you change your mind. My experience was to receive winks and e-mails first a month and then two months after mine expired. I thought it was weird someone would contact me after I'd been inactive for that long, but a search of my age and zip code (using my friend's account) both times pulled up my profile and showed I'd been active within 24 hours when I hadn't been. I ultimately had my profile permanently deleted.

It can be demoralizing to try to initiate contact after contact with no response, however, there's no way of telling if someone you are contacting on Match is actually an active user unless their profile outright states "As of this date, I am no longer a paying member."

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I am 29 years old now, when I was 24, I met the love of my life on a dating site. As soon as we started talking, we both took our profile off the site, there are honest people with long term relationship on their mind on dating site. Matter of fact, I think online people are more serious, not everybody is a troll, or a potential liar and cheater, but you do have to be careful because you are dealing with hundreds of people at one time. It is worth it.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
I have used both eHarmony and OK Cupid and had great success with both. I met and dated a gentleman for a year and a half (we're still friends) on eHarmony, and I am currently dating a gentleman I met on OKC.

You don't HAVE to go to a religious centered site to meet religious people. It does matter where you're living, and what you're looking for. Everything that plays a factor in meeting someone in real life applies to the online dating world...along with other things you wouldn't normally think about when first getting to know someone (for example, the ability to spell properly and write in complete sentences quickly became a 'must' for me after receiving piles of notes with terrifying grammatical errors- and this is coming from someone that is not very good at spelling).

Online dating is only a waste of time if you aren't going to be proactive about contacting people (sending them messages), and going out to meet. I think it's a wonderful tool to use in order to broaden your normal dating pool.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM

14 posts, read 24,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think they are fantastic. i love eharmony. i emailed and phoned a gal for months until i took the plunge flew to nashville to meet her. there she was quasimoto with false pics and profile.
what an opportunity.
remember people are always truthful and honest in internet dating ask anybody.
Thanks for the information. I agree, while I am honest as there is no reason to lie, others will stretch the truth and pics from years back. What a shocker to see the real deal and wonder.....hummmm if he lied about something so trival, what about the bigger stuff?
How has it been for you now? Have you found someone to be truthful with? I wonder how many years people search with no luck.
Still looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships