Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Geez, people, the#1 priority is not always APPEARANCE.
Glad somebody finally said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
Yawn, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And "desirable" is a vague concept. The truth of the matter is that we all degrade with age and many believe youth and beauty are partners. Really, just look at tv commercials, magazines in groceries lines, and other popular media to see what images sell, that's what we as a society value and spend our hard earn time and money on.

Actually, there is scientific research that shows that humans universally consider certain physical traits desirable and those who possess these traits would be considered beautiful. It is based on the concept of symmetry. All animals, and we are animals, are attracted to symmetry; the closer to perfect symmetry an animal is, the more desired they are by others of their species. Just a biological fact. If you don't believe me, I'll give you the number of my plastic surgeon who will not only discuss with you all of the theory involved in great detail, he will tell you it is what makes him rich.

The images that sell and that society values have not changed much over the entire course of evolution, and certainly not over the past half a century. Pick up any Victoria's Secret catalog, any women's magazine, or check out the circular ads for any major department store and you will notice some universal themes...and you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, he's looking at her eyes, that's what he's finding attractive...lol

As far as the concept of beauty being in the eye of the beholder, while this holds true to some extent, I am willing to bet that even if you really questioned couples about what physically attracts them to one another, you would still find that at some point there is something somewhere in their answer that will be based on one of any number of traits considered universally attractive.

And yes, you are correct, we do degrade literally with age. A brilliant professor once explained the process of aging to me with the simplest, yet most brilliant metaphor. He said that when you are born, all of your cells are obviously brand new, and as you age the cells you started with are being copied to create new cells, then those cells are being copied, and then those cells, etc. etc. Think of it as placing a pristine document on a copy machine and making a copy. The first copy is going to be of very high quality, almost as good as the original. Now take the copy and make a copy of that. The quality would still be good. Then take that copy and copy it, and the next copy and copy it, and on and on. Over time, eventually the quality of the copies decline, since you are not truly copying an exact original. Therefore throughout your life span, the quality of the cells that have to be regenerated declines. Hence wrinkling among other things. Interesting stuff....if I had the time or the inclination I would find some materials to reference.

P.S. Any relation to Mr. Clean? Cuz he makes some damn good sponges. Ever use those magic erasers? They are unbelievable!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Actually, there is scientific research that shows that humans universally consider certain physical traits desirable and those who possess these traits would be considered beautiful. It is based on the concept of symmetry.
...if I had the time or the inclination I would find some materials to reference.
When considering a mate, people's assessment of physical beauty is mostly about symmetry, scientists say. A new study finds that the more symmetrical a person's body is, the more appealing that person is to the opposite sex.

Symmetrical Bodies Are More Beautiful to Humans

Experiments have found that women are more attracted to men who have features that are more symmetrical than other men. One study even found that women have more orgasms during sex with men who were more symmetrical, regardless of their level of romantic attachment or the guys' sexual experience.
http://www.livescience.com/4002-symm...uman-bias.html

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
When considering a mate, people's assessment of physical beauty is mostly about symmetry, scientists say. A new study finds that the more symmetrical a person's body is, the more appealing that person is to the opposite sex.

Symmetrical Bodies Are More Beautiful to Humans
Damn my third eye.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I see a lot of hot broads that are 40 something.............

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
Yes, and I am one of them!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I see a lot of hot broads that are 40 something.............
Now there's a word so old not even my dad uses it.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Now there's a word so old not even my dad uses it.
That and fedora's and big cars...

I'd like to see them come back.....

Back when women were dames and men had style and the price of gas was 15 cents a gallon.......

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That and fedora's and big cars...

I'd like to see them come back.....

Back when women were dames and men had style and the price of gas was 15 cents a gallon.......
Well I can't change the availability of a finite fossil fuel but I did have a fedora "phase." However it really makes one look pretentious these days and I don't want to project the wrong vibe, so I leave it at home unless it's a fancy dress party or it's freezing.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well I can't change the availability of a finite fossil fuel but I did have a fedora "phase." However it really makes one look pretentious these days and I don't want to project the wrong vibe, so I leave it at home unless it's a fancy dress party or it's freezing.
I know that Frank Sinatra didn't give a **** about pretentious vibes...... LOL

Just to stay on topic.... there are plenty of women who are tasty after 30.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships