Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 AM

262 posts, read 651,507 times

Advertisements

I often think about this question when I'm driving and I see possible couples in other cars constantly talking to eachother. I also see this when I am going out to eat with friends and observe how often other couples converse with eachother. Does a successful relationship mean that you are constantly connecting with eachother by always talking, whether you are in a car or going out to eat? Is there ever a place for silence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 AM

662 posts, read 1,260,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I often think about this question when I'm driving and I see possible couples in other cars constantly talking to eachother. I also see this when I am going out to eat with friends and observe how often other couples converse with eachother. Does a successful relationship mean that you are constantly connecting with eachother by always talking, whether you are in a car or going out to eat? Is there ever a place for silence?

Yes

Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
YES!!!!!
Too much silence though, is not good.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

The real key is do you actually like your spouse.... do you wanna go home to them, do you talk to them.... those are the questions to ask, and yes, there is a place for silence.....

Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
it's so funny, how we don't talk anymore.....

you ever see older couples out to eat, well dressed, takes em 42 minutes to order, the man, may be sleeping behind the menu..they can take 1.5 hours to eat, and not say one word to each other...well,,maybe ask the other- where is the restroom?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM

192 posts, read 382,168 times
yeah lots of people talk too much to each other

me, I happen to be very social and talkative so I like lots of conversation.. I also like to dig in subjects and really get to the bottom of things.. I can't just "let go" so when I'm in a relationship I tend to talk alot to my gf but yes, moments of silence and peace are very much needed as well.... u both have to kind of feel it when this has to take place

Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 AM

54 posts, read 105,659 times
Quote:
Do you have a group of girl friends to go out with? If so, always maintain that relationship even if you marry, and every two weeks/month go out to coffee with her. This is your time out of your relationship.

Yes, always share with your mate what ever happens in your day, something on the radio/tv. Some thought you had. And if you don't do anything else, spend one hour on the couch watching TV and talking, and some touching like rubbing feet or shoulders & back, not sexual. Relaxing together, touching.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,647 times
Eat your soup... and let her talk.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
My husband is content with silence. I love conversation. Don't get me wrong, we have some great conversations sometimes but I know if I want to keep talking I need to talk somewhere else. I saw Judge Judy on some talk show once and she said our generation is really big on communication, and feelings, and talking things out. She said her and her husband don't do that and she's fine with it. She said after being with him for so long they know each other so well that they know their needs and wants without constant communication. I can see how that works because I know what my husband wants most of the time just by looking at him.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
My husband is content with silence. I love conversation. Don't get me wrong, we have some great conversations sometimes but I know if I want to keep talking I need to talk somewhere else. I saw Judge Judy on some talk show once and she said our generation is really big on communication, and feelings, and talking things out. She said her and her husband don't do that and she's fine with it. She said after being with him for so long they know each other so well that they know their needs and wants without constant communication. I can see how that works because I know what my husband wants most of the time just by looking at him.
hey twin! How old are you? I only ask because you said your generation is big on communication, i didn't know if you meant gen x or y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships