Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,798,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
I don't want to be posting in the names of other forum members, I will give my opinion. Pay note it is an opinion of someone who is in fact renting an apartment ALONE, because I don't want any roommates now...
I didn't read after this point in your post yet, but I would say who cares about what the person you're responding to thinks or anyone else for that matter. You shouldn't even have to tell him/her that you are able to be independent to back up the point you are about to make. You see, people like the person you're responding to outnumber people like me in this world. They are the type of people that thinks what society calls success is actually success. They don't have the ability to think outside that box...So, now let me continue to read your reply to one of city-data's royal members...

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,783,705 times
These threads defending grown men and women with jobs still living at home always fail to acknowledge the burden they place on the parents. Even if mom and dad seem "happy" to help, all that money you are saving by not paying rent is in a sense coming out of their pockets and well-being. They are deprived of privacy, their costs are higher and they remain in the parental position of worrying about you when you come home late, get sick, feel depressed or whatever. As a parent with an adult child, I can assure you I sleep better and worry less when she is off at college and I am unaware of her day to day activities. It takes its toll.

Moochers who save up hundreds of thousands to buy a home for cash should at least give some to the homeowner in the form of rent or help paying off the mortgage. There is no such thing as a free lunch, even if you are Mommy's Little Prince or Daddy's Little Princess.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,291,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Moochers who save up hundreds of thousands to buy a home for cash should at least give some to the homeowner in the form of rent or help paying off the mortgage. There is no such thing as a free lunch, even if you are Mommy's Little Prince or Daddy's Little Princess.
That's right. Heck, even when I got my first job in high school I was buying groceries for the house, paying for my car, saving for college, etc. When I got a better job I started contributing like a roomate would (a monthly sort of rent and whatever needed to be taken care of). Then again, it seems parents in the USA do many things for their children such as paying for their college, their wedding, bills, etc. When I spent summer in the USA I was surprised how friends my age (high school) had everything paid for by their parents. If a guy is staying with his parents to save for a house why not contribute to expenses? It's not like he doesn't have any money at all.

Last edited by onihC; 01-29-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM

227 posts, read 421,287 times
Quote:
These threads defending grown men and women with jobs still living at home always fail to acknowledge the burden they place on the parents. Even if mom and dad seem "happy" to help, all that money you are saving by not paying rent is in a sense coming out of their pockets and well-being. They are deprived of privacy, their costs are higher and they remain in the parental position of worrying about you when you come home late, get sick, feel depressed or whatever. As a parent with an adult child, I can assure you I sleep better and worry less when she is off at college and I am unaware of her day to day activities. It takes its toll.

Sorry you have anxiety issues with your child living at home, but I think your argument is somewhat week. I am 25 years old, make nearly 80000, and I help pay bills in my house. In fact if I moved out my mother won't be able to afford to live here anymore. I buy my own groceries, pay rent, and I live a very quiet life in comparison to many of my peers. My mom understand I am an adult, and we have worked on boundaries in regards to my private life. I don't bring men to our house EVER, and I very respectful to our place. In fact she has inquired about living with me one day when I eventually move out.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP24 View Post
Sorry you have anxiety issues with your child living at home, but I think your argument is somewhat week. I am 25 years old, make nearly 80000, and I help pay bills in my house. In fact if I moved out my mother won't be able to afford to live here anymore. I buy my own groceries, pay rent, and I live a very quiet life in comparison to many of my peers. My mom understand I am an adult, and we have worked on boundaries in regards to my private life. I don't bring men to our house EVER, and I very respectful to our place. In fact she has inquired about living with me one day when I eventually move out.
Obviously, I was not referring to your situation. Oy vey.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,830 times
Quote:

Why should anybody listen to you? Show me some success in doing things your way first. Your culture is bankrupt. You got brainwashed by the Jewish anarchists in the 1960's and now your entire society is effed up. Divorce, illegitimacy, bastardy, not to mention that most people don't have a pot to **** in because of this very mentality where you're so far in debt or you've been divorced so many times you can't even begin to take care of yourself, let alone your kid. Every man for himself! It's the American way.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post

Renting an apartment costs hundreds of dollars. Extra costs for bills and stuff just add up. It's not unreasonable to claim that costs will raise up to 10,000$ per year for such lifestyle... money he could have saved, NOT the money to hang out and drink until early hours with loser friends or to buy an overpriced car that will rapidly lose on value within a few years... that's showing off.
Exactly.

I'm not arguing whether someone should or shouldn't live with their parents. If you want the freedom and the money doesn't bother you, more power to you.

I just don't like these ignorant "rules" these "ugly Americans" repeat to each other and like to pretend like it's some kind of great American cultural wisdom, when in reality they can't see beyond the ends of their noses.

If someone wants to live at home and is smart enough to save their money, that's fine too. I would place a bigger premium on someone like that over some idiot who is spending $15 - $20 k a year spinning his wheels making his landlord and his landlord's bank rich just so he can have a place to boink women.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:

Agree 100%.

I am the parents of 2 grown up daughters aged 24 and 26. I love the fact they are independent adults not leeching off me. If I choose to give them money or things it's because I want to, not because I think I have to. It's so freeing.

In my opinion our jobs as parents is to teach our kids to be independent, useful adults. Sometimes cutting the apron strings is the best thing we can do. I don't care what anyone says, if you are an adult and you live at home, you are relinquishing your adult role. It is natural to simply fall back into being the child and having unreasonable expectations of your parents, even if it's a small thing like having your meals cooked for you or your laundry done.

Parents need to have the space and freedom to once again connect with their spouse and renew their marriage. It's hard to have wild sex in the lounge when you know your adult kid is mooching around

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky666 View Post
Why should anybody listen to you? Show me some success in doing things your way first. Your culture is bankrupt. You got brainwashed by the Jewish anarchists in the 1960's and now your entire society is effed up. Divorce, illegitimacy, bastardy, not to mention that most people don't have a pot to **** in because of this very mentality where you're so far in debt or you've been divorced so many times you can't even begin to take care of yourself, let alone your kid. Every man for himself! It's the American way.
Was that the fastest banning on record?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM

29,771 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Was that the fastest banning on record?
Gotta love the people who confuse being a dick on the internet with being interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships