Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,161,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Who is getting left behind though, women or men? I can find a TON a blogs written by women who are 40+, never married and childless even though they are like idon'tdateyou and claim to sincerely want those things. I don't think I've even seen the same type of blog written by a man who is 40+ and childless. Men are getting left behind when it comes to things like education and certain types of careers, but when it comes to marriage and family, they aren't the ones who are losing out.
It wouldn't let me rep you again.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,185,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
As Bill Maher notes, a certain subset of men have become useless. I think he's right.

It's not that women have gotten more masculine. It's that a segment of the male population is lost. They haven't adapted to the new world order of relationships. I often kid around about how men need to make themselves useful before they become obsolete, but there's some truth in that jest. They need to find their place in a world where women no longer need them for food and shelter. They have to find other ways to appeal, and they have to find other roles than that of provider and protector. I suggest "partner," but that's soooooooo rad-fem of me.

Frankly, I don't know what the issue is for some of these guys. To my thinking, it's better to be wanted than needed. But I'm just independent that way. I don't need someone to be dependent on me to feel loved.
The irony here is astounding.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,161,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
The irony here is astounding.
LMAO, yes it is.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,015,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
By do you equate a strong woman as "one that wears the pants" implying that they "the boss" and not an equal?
While I'm sure many wont believe me based on what they've inferred from my posts, I am in fact attracted to independent women. But I draw the line when my SO starts telling me what to do, especially when comes to decisions and lifestyle choices I've made that are consistent with my personal happiness. Better to be single and live peacefully than to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like the way you live your life, or who you are.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,407,517 times
Quote:
Well at least now you are using the word "I" - in your original quote you merely pronounced it boring for everyone.

Personally I don't judge other people for living their lives differently than mine. And I don't need to be drunk to enjoy their company when we do things I don't ordinarily do on my own. Maybe if you didn't judge your mom so harshly, you wouldn't need a cocktail to spend time with her.
Holy bejesus, you are determined to take offense aren't you? Even if it's on behalf of my mother. How do you have the energy for that much prickliness?

My mother and I have an old established pattern. I don't mind doing different things at all - for god's sake, I saw Sex In The City 2 because one of my friends wanted to see it. And I loathe that show to the point of aneurysm.

My mother however, NEVER wants to do things that I enjoy. The one time we went to a concert that was the type of music I enjoy, she asked to leave early because it gave her a headache. It wasn't a heavy metal concert - it was bluegrass, and the place was packed with us and a couple hundred senior citizens. When we go shopping, it is never to the bookstore or the music store. When we go see a movie, it's inevitably something geared at 60-something Rue McClanahan wannabes.

So after I have accompanied her on our umpteenth outing to find her the perfect piece of costume jewelry to go with her outfit for the 50s dance at her or troll the bargain rack at Macy's for couple hours, yes, I will probably want a beer, even though I don't really drink. Because I will be drowning in the glittery narcissistic effervescence that is my beloved mother.

But you win. I'm a horrible judgmental person who scorns everyone but people who think exactly like my warped and twisted brain. I'm ok with that.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,015,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It sounds like what you want is to be needed.
Despite what it may sound like, I find a little uncomfortable to be generalized like that and think is not accurate. I like mutually beneficial relationship; to be involved with someone where our lives are better because we are together.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,689,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Holy bejesus, you are determined to take offense aren't you? Even if it's on behalf of my mother. How do you have the energy for that much prickliness?

My mother and I have an old established pattern. I don't mind doing different things at all - for god's sake, I saw Sex In The City 2 because one of my friends wanted to see it. And I loathe that show to the point of aneurysm.

My mother however, NEVER wants to do things that I enjoy. The one time we went to a concert that was the type of music I enjoy, she asked to leave early because it gave her a headache. It wasn't a heavy metal concert - it was bluegrass, and the place was packed with us and a couple hundred senior citizens. When we go shopping, it is never to the bookstore or the music store. When we go see a movie, it's inevitably something geared at 60-something Rue McClanahan wannabes.

So after I have accompanied her on our umpteenth outing to find her the perfect piece of costume jewelry to go with her outfit for the 50s dance at her or troll the bargain rack at Macy's for couple hours, yes, I will probably want a beer, even though I don't really drink. Because I will be drowning in the glittery narcissistic effervescence that is my beloved mother.

But you win. I'm a horrible judgmental person who scorns everyone but people who think exactly like my warped and twisted brain. I'm ok with that.
I am not offended at all. I don't even have a dog in the "fight" that is this thread. I find it an interesting discussion though, so here I am.

Someday you will miss the woman you derisively call a "girly girl", mark my words. That's why I happily do the things my mother enjoys, instead of complaining about her online and getting drunk.

I personally can live through a crap movie every now and again. To each his own.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
While I'm sure many wont believe me based on what they've inferred from my posts, I am in fact attracted to independent women. But I draw the line when my SO starts telling me what to do, especially when comes to decisions and lifestyle choices I've made that are consistent with my personal happiness. Better to be single and live peacefully than to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like the way you live your life, or who you are.
In our relationship - all of our major decisions are made together. Neither one of us tells the other what to do - but we discuss everything.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
Quote:
Who is getting left behind though, women or men? I can find a TON a blogs written by women who are 40+, never married and childless even though they are like idon'tdateyou and claim to sincerely want those things. I don't think I've even seen the same type of blog written by a man who is 40+ and childless. Men are getting left behind when it comes to things like education and certain types of careers, but when it comes to marriage and family, they aren't the ones who are losing out.

That assumes that across the board, women agree with those blog writers and want marriage and family. There are just as many blogs written by women who never wanted those things, and who seek to provide a voice for those of like mind. It's still considered unusual for a woman not to want marriage and kids, although the stigma is slowly but surely falling by the wayside.

Also, I don't think men are as inclined to write blogs about what they might consider to be personal failures. Women tend to write blogs to get things off their chests and to get support from a community of readers. It's seen as okay for women to express their feelings and seek support, but not men. Not saying that's fair. It's actually not fair at all. But that if a man wants marriage and a family and doesn't have them, he might not be any more compelled to share that with the world than he would if he went bankrupt or couldn't hold a job.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,136,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
So a strong, independent woman is attractive to you, just not a bossy, over bearing one
(Telling a partner how to live or trying to change who they are is not a "strong woman")

I think you'd find most people have the same feelings/thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships