Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It was created to be one, don't you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Exactly. Purely written to defame and bash women for whatever choices we make.
Maybe you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Men do that with women, too. They test boundaries to see what they can get away with. Despite what some here might have you believe, the good ones respect a woman who can stand up for herself and won't let anyone get away with treating her as a toy or afterthought.

It's just that women--or at least women who were born before the 90s--were raised not to confront because that would be "bitchy."

As sexist as this will sound, I think most men like a woman who is capable of being what we gals consider to be "bitchy." To us, it's "bitchy," to them, it's just being direct and clear. I'm forever telling women to just say what they mean with men, and not drop hints or sugarcoat too much when they feel they've been wronged. Men are tougher than we think, too. Heck, I think a lot of them would appreciate it, because if there's one magic power men hate women assuming of them, it's the power to read minds.
I think women should be however way they are naturally. I don't think they should act this way or that way according to what society or men or other women say. It's the pits to have to act a certain way that you are not, no matter who you are.

Quote:
Do you think a man's opening a car door for a woman is an outdated relic from a bygone era, or a standard of behavior that we should go back to?
Yeah I didn't get what the OP meant either. It was not clear.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
My prediction is that we will see our traditional concepts of marriage move toward partnerships in the legal sense, like two people starting a business. In fact, it's already occurring with gay "marriages" and divorce rates. Romance, "femininity", and chivalry may end up just for movies, like we read in fairy tale of damsels in distress.

I saw a movie the other day called "Think Like a Man" where one of the topics was opening a car door for a woman or just clicking the the electronic key to ensure her side of the door was open, which was reflection of the quality of man she was dating. huh?
I don't see how gay marriage and divorce rates have any impact on marriages being more like a business at all.

There are still men that open doors for women and there are still women that appreciate that. And then there are men that refuse to that and women that expect it. It takes all kinds.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

I think women should be however way they are naturally. I don't think they should act this way or that way according to what society or men or other women say. It's the pits to have to act a certain way that you are not, no matter who you are.
I couldn't agree more. That's what I've been trying to say but I'm not good at being succinct like that!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,577 times
Quote:
Do you think a man's opening a car door for a woman is an outdated relic from a bygone era, or a standard of behavior that we should go back to?
I think it depends on who you are asking. I wouldn't be surprised that some independent women would believe they can handle a car door, other women may think nothing of a guy just doing the click-click, and still others will say all women want that.

I do it all the time when I first start dating someone new, and I can always tell when it comes as an unexpected surprise as if it is rare that it happens to them. But admittedly, as more times goes by in our relationship it happens less and less except for special occasions. Does the declining frequency make me less romantic over time, or just an accept fact that its allowed to happen once you become more comfortable with someone? Don't know but if a woman expected it all the time, it will start feeling like a chore to me. I'm sure other guys may feel differently.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,247 times
Quote:
Rather then setting up an argument between us let me just say that I'm sure you can think of examples of men acting immature, which others may or may not agree on.
No need for an argument we are both adults here I believe we can have disagree on some view points and still be civil but you are right for the sake of the thread lets drop it.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I couldn't agree more. That's what I've been trying to say but I'm not good at being succinct like that!

And you know what? From what I can tell, men like all types of women anyway!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
I think it depends on who you are asking. I wouldn't be surprised that some independent women would believe they can handle a car door, other women may think nothing of a guy just doing the click-click, and still others will say all women want that.

I do it all the time when I first start dating someone new, and I can always tell when it comes as an unexpected surprise as if it is rare that it happens to them. But admittedly, as more times goes by in our relationship it happens less and less except for special occasions. The the declining frequency make me less romantic over time, or just an accept fact that its allowed to happen once you become more comfortable with someone. Don't know but if a woman expected it all the time, it will start feeling like a chore to me. I'm sure other guys may feel differently.
A lot of the showy things we do early in the relationship fall off over time. He stops opening the doors, she stops wearing the fancy underwear. Makes me wonder whether it's due to laziness or pragmatism.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

I always thought that was the point in not putting so much stock in gender roles and expectation so that both men and women can just be who they without ridicule.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
I personally admire people -- both men and women -- who are truly kind and caring individuals, and who do not see showing a genuine kinder, gentler, softer side to others as being a weakness As to where that all fits into mainstream present-day gender relations, I am not completely sure myself (although I guess I know it can at times be rather hard to find that, from my own experiences), other than to say that I very much believe that both genders are fully and entirely 100% equal.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Sometimes I snort when I laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships