Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It was created to be one, don't you think?
Exactly. Purely written to defame and bash women for whatever choices we make.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It was created to be one, don't you think?
The funny thing is - I would think that the people who would be the ones to argue vehemently against the OP would be the men on here that claim to want all gender roles to be completely obliterated. The men who are against chivalry and all that. But that probably won't happen.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
If you're softer than your woman, she probably going to get pissed at you for not being a man and bully you to test you.

Men do that with women, too. They test boundaries to see what they can get away with. Despite what some here might have you believe, the good ones respect a woman who can stand up for herself and won't let anyone get away with treating her as a toy or afterthought.

It's just that women--or at least women who were born before the 90s--were raised not to confront because that would be "bitchy."

As sexist as this will sound, I think most men like a woman who is capable of being what we gals consider to be "bitchy." To us, it's "bitchy," to them, it's just being direct and clear. I'm forever telling women to just say what they mean with men, and not drop hints or sugarcoat too much when they feel they've been wronged. Men are tougher than we think, too. Heck, I think a lot of them would appreciate it, because if there's one magic power men hate women assuming of them, it's the power to read minds.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
I definitely agree with you also but don't think it's one-sided, its both men and women. I believe many adult males still act like boys (or have boy-like views/attitudes), never had good male models, and find it difficult dating certain types of women (e.g., more income/higher professional status then men).
The only guys who really have an issue with dating woman with more income and a higher profession are guys who are more on the traditional side of the spectrum from my experience. Also I don't know your criteria of acting like a boy is so I can't really comment on that.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Here's the catch, though: Women aren't going to go backwards. Those of us who are independent and strong love it. If that means that some women are comfortable with what some consider to be coarse behavior, so be it.
My prediction is that we will see our traditional concepts of marriage move toward partnerships in the legal sense, like two people starting a business. In fact, it's already occurring with gay "marriages" and divorce rates. Romance, "femininity", and chivalry may end up just for movies, like we read in fairy tale of damsels in distress.

I saw a movie the other day called "Think Like a Man" where one of the topics was opening a car door for a woman or just clicking the the electronic key to ensure her side of the door was open, which was reflection of the quality of man she was dating. huh?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
I saw a movie the other day called "Think Like a Man" where one of the topics was opening a car door for a woman or just clicking the the electronic key to ensure her side of the door was open, which was reflection of the quality of man she was dating. huh?
Do you think a man's opening a car door for a woman is an outdated relic from a bygone era, or a standard of behavior that we should go back to?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Men do that with women, too. They test boundaries to see what they can get away with. Despite what some here might have you believe, the good ones respect a woman who can stand up for herself and won't let anyone get away with treating her as a toy or afterthought.

It's just that women--or at least women who were born before the 90s--were raised not to confront because that would be "bitchy."

As sexist as this will sound, I think most men like a woman who is capable of being what we gals consider to be "bitchy." To us, it's "bitchy," to them, it's just being direct and clear. I'm forever telling women to just say what they mean with men, and not drop hints or sugarcoat too much when they feel they've been wronged. Men are tougher than we think, too. Heck, I think a lot of them would appreciate it, because if there's one magic power men hate women assuming of them, it's the power to read minds.
I don't see why it would be sexist to ask folks to be direct with each other? Then again I grew up in the so called "emasculated" 90s according to some posters so I guess that is lost on me.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
My prediction is that we will see our traditional concepts of marriage move toward partnerships in the legal sense, like two people starting a business. In fact, it's already occurring with gay "marriages" and divorce rates. Romance, "femininity", and chivalry may end up just for movies, like we read in fairy tale of damsels in distress.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Also I don't know your criteria of acting like a boy is so I can't really comment on that.
Rather then setting up an argument between us let me just say that I'm sure you can think of examples of men acting immature, which others may or may not agree on.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

That movie based on a book by Steve Harvey who grew up "old school" and that movie carries that kind of mentality. Whether or not a woman finds that to be a measure of the quality of man she is dating depends on if she that what she looks for in finding a good man for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships