Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
My parents were physically abusive. My first relationship was physically abusive. So I did turn abusive as a protection mechanism. I've grown out of that though. But I'm living proof that many people respond to their environment.
I'm glad that you changed your circumstances. It seems like it would be a hard pattern to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Really? What do you mean go nuts?
Met a woman at a bar a few years ago. Had a drink with her, walked her out to her car and gave her a hug and good night peck. We exchanged numbers. I Made the mistake of giving her my business card, where she proceeded to do a background check on me and finding out my entire history,where I lived, what houses Ive owned, where I went to school etc. It got ugly and she turned into a Stalker.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Met a woman at a bar a few years ago. Had a drink with her, walked her out to her car and gave her a hug and good night peck. We exchanged numbers. I Made the mistake of giving her my business card, where she proceeded to do a background check on me and finding out my entire history,where I lived, what houses Ive owned, where I went to school etc. It got ugly and she turned into a Stalker.
Omg that's messed up.....I hope you learned never to give out your business card again

Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Omg that's messed up.....I hope you learned never to give out your business card again
Yep, lesson learned quickly. I give out my business partners card now.

Back to the OP. I believe the majority of people that suffer from abuse are normal folks just like you and me that have pulled though it. The lucky ones learn and grow from the experience.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yep, lesson learned quickly. I give out my business partners card now.

Back to the OP. I believe the majority of people that suffer from abuse are normal folks just like you and me. The lucky ones learn and grow from the experience.
I think recognizing the early indicators are vital as well. The problem is that people become blinded by love and by the time they become victims of abuse they are emotionally attached to their abuser. It's a slow boil. That's how it happened to me, and I'm sure that is the case for many victims of abuse.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think recognizing the early indicators are vital as well. The problem is that people become blinded by love and by the time they become victims of abuse they are emotionally attached to their abuser. It's a slow boil. That's how it happened to me, and I'm sure that is the case for many victims of abuse.
Has this been with you and all of your relationships or just the one?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Has this been with you and all of your relationships or just the one?
Just the one. While I lacked the brainpower to break things off with her, once we split up (she dumped me) it was a clean break for me. By this I mean that I knew at the time that I had put up with too much and resolved to never let it happen again.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Just the one. While I lacked the brainpower to break things off with her, once we split up (she dumped me) it was a clean break for me. By this I mean that I knew at the time that I had put up with too much and resolved to never let it happen again.
IME we can carry it into our relationships without even realising.....then when we look back think I shouldn't have out up with that or what the hell was I thinking

Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Hell yes women can be abusers.

If she doesn't know the difference she'll go from relationship to relationship doing the same things she learned until someone convinces her that what she's doing is wrong and takes steps to stop doing those things.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
IME we can carry it into our relationships without even realising.....then when we look back think I shouldn't have out up with that or what the hell was I thinking
I do agree with you. What's amazing to me looking back, I don't even fit this mold. My parents were always very good to each other. I did not come from an abusive home. I just let myself become more entrenched in a relationship I knew was toxic, yet didn't have the will power to bail. This is why I can't honestly consider myself a victim in the traditional sense of the word. I knew I deserved better treatment from my girlfriend. I knew I could find it with someone else. I guess I was just too lazy to put that knowledge to action.

During this time I never sought support from anyone. I wanted to feel like I still had some control and was too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I had been assaulted numerous times by my own girlfriend. Like I said a few posts back, it was a slow boil. By the time it reached this point I think I just wanted more than anything to believe that it would one day be better. At least that's how it seems in retrospect. I really can't think of any good reasons for staying with this person as long as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships