Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM

296 posts, read 571,662 times

Advertisements

Back in my younger days, I would foolishly try take women out on expensive dinner dates and plays/cultural events before I even knew whether they shared any of the romantic feelings or attractions that I had for them. Needless to say most of the time, after a couple of dates, they would let it be known that they just saw me as a friend or a perfectly nice acquaintance. Of course this is already after I dropped about 2-3K and time into what I thought was going well. Moving forward, I realized that it's best to let your intentions for a romantic, rather than purely friendly relationship, be known as early as possible.

Which leads me to my scenario. I've met a woman who is interested in getting to know me better, but wants to start off as friends as she feels that is the best way to transition into any sort of relationship. I should probably mention I am getting older and really want to begin a family-not to sound needy and desperate. How should I proceed? Should I honestly move on? I understand couples being both best friends and partners, but I've never really heard any successful stories of friends becoming romantic partners in real life. It seems something more appropriate for Hollywood to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Here's what I'm seeing: a guy who's posted a few whiny threads over approx. 6 months about how he can't get women's attention because he's too short. He finally meets a woman who says she's interested in getting to know him better, but she wants to take it slow (that's pretty much what "friends first" means). So, you're telling us you're seriously considering throwing this away?

No woman is going to go on a couple of dates and then ask you to make some babies with her. Getting acquainted is a process. You know this, right?

And btw, if you were spending "2-3K" on a couple of initial dates with women, idk, doc, there's something very wrong with that picture. I don't even know if we can help you. Nobody in their right mind spends 2-3K on a couple of dates with, basically, strangers. To be honest, I'm not seeing someone here who is in touch with reality in any aspect of his social life. It's puzzling. I wish you well, doc, but I'm a little non-plussed here.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,041 times
how old are you? along with you dating experience, makes a difference because woman are looking for different things at different stages in their life. i assume she is generally in your age range.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
So this is the famous shortdoctor Ruth was talking about. LOL

Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

And btw, if you were spending "2-3K" on a couple of initial dates with women, idk, doc, there's something very wrong with that picture. I don't even know if we can help you. Nobody in their right mind spends 2-3K on a couple of dates with, basically, strangers. To be honest, I'm not seeing someone here who is in touch with reality in any aspect of his social life. It's puzzling. I wish you well, doc, but I'm a little non-plussed here.
I dunno, he said he takes them to cultural events. I envision the opera. I imagine top hats, monocles, and those tiny binoculars are pretty expensive.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
short doctor, how short? Like midget short or below 5'5"

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Dude I'd toootaly wear the sh*t out've a top hat and a monocle.

Gimme a cane and I'd look like Mr. Peanut.

Or Penguin. Either way I'd look like something.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
short doctor, how short? Like midget short or below 5'5"
I'm 5'3 on a good day.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM

650 posts, read 701,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Back in my younger days, I would foolishly try take women out on expensive dinner dates and plays/cultural events before I even knew whether they shared any of the romantic feelings or attractions that I had for them. Needless to say most of the time, after a couple of dates, they would let it be known that they just saw me as a friend or a perfectly nice acquaintance. Of course this is already after I dropped about 2-3K and time into what I thought was going well. Moving forward, I realized that it's best to let your intentions for a romantic, rather than purely friendly relationship, be known as early as possible.

Which leads me to my scenario. I've met a woman who is interested in getting to know me better, but wants to start off as friends as she feels that is the best way to transition into any sort of relationship. I should probably mention I am getting older and really want to begin a family-not to sound needy and desperate. How should I proceed? Should I honestly move on? I understand couples being both best friends and partners, but I've never really heard any successful stories of friends becoming romantic partners in real life. It seems something more appropriate for Hollywood to be honest.
I did the same as you.

My solution, I would tell the new woman exactly as it is. Tell her that you are looking for marriage, not casual dating............that you wouldn't be happy with a living together situation or a weekly dating partner or a good friend and let her take it from there.

No dinner whores for me, Nick "Garo" (not my real last name but fairly close).

You know, some women may not realize it but few if any men are going to date a woman because the man wants the opposite chair at his table in a restaurant to be occupied. Some benighted women may wish it were so but no, it ain't so.

You and I were doing courtship with those women. Courtship. It is a financial, emotional, time investment in one out of two things.

1- The man is looking for a spouse or he is looking to find a live in partner. He courts the woman (as in days of old and in a courtly manner) hoping it will lead to a mutual romance if he shows her his best, his true self later on, his vulnerabilities etc..............That's my purpose for doing courtship.

2- The man is looking for sex with the woman and wants to wine her, dine her into bed.

Nobody in his right mind wants to spend money just to spend money. Nobody has excess money to just toss away on a "pretty" (or not so pretty) dinner companion who is going to give you a peck on the cheek or a handshake at the end of the night. Some women THINK or maybe WISH it were so but only in the movies is it so.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
I did the same as you.

My solution, I would tell the new woman exactly as it is. Tell her that you are looking for marriage, not casual dating............that you wouldn't be happy with a living together situation or a weekly dating partner or a good friend and let her take it from there.

No dinner whores for me, Nick "Garo" (not my real last name but fairly close).

You know, some women may not realize it but few if any men are going to date a woman because the man wants the opposite chair at his table in a restaurant to be occupied. Some benighted women may wish it were so but no, it ain't so.

You and I were doing courtship with those women. Courtship. It is a financial, emotional, time investment in one out of two things.

1- The man is looking for a spouse or he is looking to find a live in partner. He courts the woman (as in days of old and in a courtly manner) hoping it will lead to a mutual romance if he shows her his best, his true self later on, his vulnerabilities etc..............That's my purpose for doing courtship.

2- The man is looking for sex with the woman and wants to wine her, dine her into bed.

Nobody in his right mind wants to spend money just to spend money. Nobody has excess money to just toss away on a "pretty" (or not so pretty) dinner companion who is going to give you a peck on the cheek or a handshake at the end of the night. Some women THINK or maybe WISH it were so but only in the movies is it so.
Thank you for your answer! This is really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships